AP source: Obama to Announce Nuke Plant Loan

Ame®icano;2003948 said:
Ame®icano;2003893 said:
Have I said something is wrong with this? No. And you calling ME a wingnut. :cuckoo:

If you red my old posts you would find I am for nuclear energy all along.

Now, seems that nuclear energy suddenly comes as Obama's solution for failing to produce green energy and green jobs. Therefore, my question is still, what happened with "green energy"? Not so popular anymore?

Look at Zoom's post, this wasn't to be unexpected. Obama never ruled out Nuclear Energy in the first place.

However, green energy takes time to develop. Nuclear Energy is something we can start to develop now and be sure that's it working by a certain time.

And no, you never said anything was wrong with this, but you seemed to take a shot at Obama just the same. And you call the green energy Obama's solution but not this? Who do you think made this solution up? Sherlock Holmes? :eusa_eh:

Who made up green energy solution? No, it's not Obama. Yes, it was Clinton.

Btw, remember the election? Obama criticizes McCain's nuclear power plan

From the link - Quote: "Obama, a Democrat, said the Republican candidate lacked a plan for storage of the waste. It was among several energy-strategy ideas that Obama said were "not serious energy policies." ...
Obama was speaking in Nevada, a state where proposals to build a nuclear waste disposal site at Yucca Mountain have generated strong opposition. ...
"It doesn't make sense for America," Obama said. "In fact, it makes about as much sense as his proposal to build 45 new nuclear reactors without a plan to store the waste some place other than right here at Yucca Mountain," the Illinois senator said. ...
Opposition in the U.S. Congress to the Yucca Mountain waste site is among the hurdles it faces. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a Democrat from Nevada, is among those who oppose it.... "

If Obama were serious he would offer a combined proposal for a solution, additionally he would rescind the Carter prohibition to recycle nuclear fuel, and thereby solve the storage of waste problem.

Here is Patrick Moore one of the founders of Greenpeace (the original focus of which was to stop nuclear weapons and nuclear weapons testing) on the subject: Interview with Dr. Patrick Moore|B-Green Collaborative

Moore:
We are also capable of recycling used nuclear fuel as France has been doing for thirty years. Japan has just built a $30 billion facility to recycle their used nuclear fuel. About 95% of the energy is still in that spent fuel and we can extract that and use it. There are thousands of years of nuclear energy if we recycle the used fuel. The US has to get back into the recycling industry, which they quit during the Carter administration. The US was the world’s leader in this at one time. That was a long time ago, but it is time to get back in it. Anyone who is thinking about this in a positive way, about how to move forward, includes recycling as part of the plan.

Moore now supports nuclear energy generation and recycling nuclear fuel as the greenest and safest of options.

Why wouldn’t Obama get behind a full solution instead of only the first part which will certainly be hobbled by the lack of the second?
If he supports nuclear energy and If he opposes Yucca Mountain storage, why isn't he for the obvious alternative?
Moore says that nuclear fuel, after ultimate recycling and re-use, would be harmless in just 300 years, that the fuel, in it's interim stages, would be stored at the nuclear generating plants

Last edited:
Ive been suggesting that we do away with this no new nuclear plants idea for years. However, Ill be more impressed if he gets government out of the way and let's the private sector do it's job than I am for him handing out money. Forget handing out money. Just eliminate the burdensome regulations that are stopping it to begin with and let them build it.

The way things are now, I am skeptical on whether these power plants will ever get online. Of course, Obama could surprise me and stop pursuing his liberal agenda long enough to do something that actually benefits the nation. I'm not optimistic.

It will take the environmental impact studies 15 years to be completed first and another 10 years to run this through the appeals courts. It will never be built; not on a so-called progressive's watch.

Ive been suggesting that we do away with this no new nuclear plants idea for years. However, Ill be more impressed if he gets government out of the way and let's the private sector do it's job than I am for him handing out money. Forget handing out money. Just eliminate the burdensome regulations that are stopping it to begin with and let them build it.

The way things are now, I am skeptical on whether these power plants will ever get online. Of course, Obama could surprise me and stop pursuing his liberal agenda long enough to do something that actually benefits the nation. I'm not optimistic.

Considering that using union labor is required in order to get government loans, you might be right.

Ame®icano;2019326 said:

Considering that using union labor is required in order to get government loans, you might be right.

And if they don't use Union labor the company that gets the bid has to pay union scale even if their workers normally get paid less. It's total Union thievery.

Don't worry, the wackos have the lawyers and the judges they need to stop pretty much anything. Which is why I think the loan guarantees are a waste of money. The concrete will be poured, the control rooms built, but we won't get a single watt out of any new nuke plant ever.

If they get the permits there is no stopping them, and it looks like the permits are on the fast track. We need to replace the aging nuke plants built in the 1970s and 1980s. Plus we need power to replace oil. I don't see any compelling reasons the courts would slow the development of nukes. Bullshit lawsuits don't hold any sway.

Nuclear IS "green energy"! IDIOT!

Is it now? i think you need to tell those environmentalist wackos who have been actively preventing us from building new plants in the last 30 years.

I'm not so sure the wackos stopped them. There were many reasons, but cost is usually at the top of the list. Look at wind power as an example, the government subsidizes wind power with a 10-year tax break to make it competitive. Nuke plants were regulated out of business. It just cost too much to build the plants and dispose of the waste. It was much cheaper to build coal/oil/CNG powerplants. Now with the added cost of scrubbers and greenhouse gases, nuke plants might get tax breaks and/or sweetheart loan deals.

Where the politicians throw money is where things happen.

Ame®icano;2019326 said:

And if they don't use Union labor the company that gets the bid has to pay union scale even if their workers normally get paid less. It's total Union thievery.

Sounds like liberal fiscal responsibility.

Personally I think that it is about time that people have gotten over the the fear of efficent energy, and decided to do something. The cold war is over, hell I never got to even really experience it. Nuclear power is not a bad thing period, and those who think it is either 1) are members of the Saudi Royal family 2) own too much stock in oil companies [ever heard of never put all of your eggs in one basket] or 3)automatically associate nuclear power with BOOM.

Forum List

Back