AP Source: Census Worker hanged with 'fed' on body

Sounds like a mob killing to me.

The only inciting I see is going on in this thread. Whacked out lefties who drool whenever someone dies mysteriously so they can accuse the right of "inciting" it. What a laugh.

Vince Foster, anyone?

and if you are right, i would agree with you, however, we do not have enough facts to even begin to make that kind of claim

If you say so, I'm just saying I'm making my bet now that it was motivated by the fact he was a Census worker. I'm not being partisan here, the nutjob who killed this guy is not limited to one side of the political spectrum.
And ANY federal worker is despised and has been for decades by many in Kentucky.

and if you are right, i would agree with you, however, we do not have enough facts to even begin to make that kind of claim

If you say so, I'm just saying I'm making my bet now that it was motivated by the fact he was a Census worker. I'm not being partisan here, the nutjob who killed this guy is not limited to one side of the political spectrum.
And ANY federal worker is despised and has been for decades by many in Kentucky.
and in tenn

especially in the mountain regions

I'll wait for the facts to come in but it does look like the rabble rousing voices of the right might have their first bit of blood on their hands.

First bit? They've already attacked earlier this year.

I hope they find his killer(s).

Condolences to his family.

Sad. So sad.
i agree
i hope they find the killer and prosecute to the fullest extent of the law

this is clearly a murder, no question in my mind, but who did it and what the motivation remains unknown

and in tenn

especially in the mountain regions
Indeed. And many parts of West Virginia. TVA mistrust, prohibition, mining/unions, etc. I have to wonder if folks even get to know their own country at all.

Indeed. And many parts of West Virginia. TVA mistrust, prohibition, mining/unions, etc. I have to wonder if folks even get to know their own country at all.

For someone saying all the facts haven't come in, you seem to have already made up your mind.

For those who obviously don't know about the history of the area, here's a start:

But late in the 19th century, mining, logging and railroad companies moved into the area, often uprooting families and devastating the land.

"They took the people off the land and transferred ownership to owners outside the region who raped the land," says Curtis Wood, a professor of history at Western Carolina and co-author of "From Ulster to Carolina: The Migration of the Scotch-Irish to Southwestern North Carolina." "Rivers were damaged, land wouldn't hold water and forest fires were incredible -- epic forest fires. All this is well-documented."

When the commercial interests had extracted what they could from the area, says Wood, "they pulled out, and the people they left behind were jobless."

In 1911, Congress passed the Weeks Act authorizing the U.S. government to purchase land and create national forests. Millions of acres were acquired and eventually entrusted to the U.S. Forest and Park services and, Wood notes, putting the land out of the reach of local people.

In the 1930s, the Tennessee Valley Authority was created to control floods, improve navigation and provide electrical power in the Southeast. While credited with improving conditions in the area -- including the elimination of malaria -- Wood points out that the TVA also forced many people off their land and flooded entire towns.

"There are very few regions where white people have been forcibly removed from their lands as they have been in southern Appalachia," he says. "The attitudes of Southern mountain people toward the government have been shaped by their experiences.... They've seen their land taken out of their control and put into big programs, leaving them with diminished resources and not much in return."

Government initiatives aimed at dealing with the poverty in the region have often been at "at cross-purposes," he says, and were managed by Washington bureaucracies. "They were never guided by people in the region, and the attitudes of Southern mountain people have been shaped by this, seeing their land taken out of their control and given to big programs."

Another touchy subject, he says, is taxes. Although the federal government is by far the biggest landowner in many western North Carolina counties, it pays no county taxes. It does pay the counties a fee, but it is well below what the land would bring on the open market.

A culture of distrust for government

One of the region's best known industries was the fruit of Appalachian ingenuity and an expression of the contempt some felt for the government.

Today, the streets of downtown Andrews are quiet, and many storefronts lie vacant as merchants move to a stretch of strip malls near the main highway.

"Do you remember what they used to do in these mountains in the '20s and '30s?" area resident David Luther told USA Today. "Moonshine. Who do you think it was that used to lock up our grandfathers for making moonshine?"

The result, says Brown, is a culture thoroughly prepared to distrust the government. "One of the worst things you could hear around here," she says, "was a knock on the door and someone saying, 'I'm from Raleigh, and I'm here to help you.' "

CNN.com - Hard times in the mountains - March 5, 2001

Last edited:

For someone saying all the facts haven't come in, you seem to have already made up your mind.
Have I? Or am I putting out facts for those who are hysterically jumping to conclusions without taking into consideration some very obvious information?

I haven't seen Libruls this worked up since some obscure Republican Assemblyman in CA talked about eye patch undies

Alright, so it says scrawled and not carved, my mistake. However, there is still a dead Census worker with the word fed scrawled on his body.

Any theories over there? Other then the fact it's the moonshiners supposedly?

Plenty, meth lab, pot grower, illegal tobacco field, unlicensed chinchilla ranch, hell, it could have been just about anything.

Robert, you're getting to be as bad as CNN...I might have to start calling you Nancy. :D

Alright, so it says scrawled and not carved, my mistake. However, there is still a dead Census worker with the word fed scrawled on his body.

Any theories over there? Other then the fact it's the moonshiners supposedly?

Plenty, meth lab, pot grower, illegal tobacco field, unlicensed chinchilla ranch, hell, it could have been just about anything.

Robert, you're getting to be as bad as CNN...I might have to start calling you Nancy. :D
dang, i hadnt even thought of those possibilities

Meth labs, you're thinking of Wasilla. ;) :lol:

Seriously though, I think to assume that it was some illegal growers of anything were the killers doesn't make much sense. Why would they kill a Census worker and draw heat to the area? They may be stupid some of them but not that stupid.

Meth labs, you're thinking of Wasilla. ;) :lol:

Seriously though, I think to assume that it was some illegal growers of anything were the killers doesn't make much sense. Why would they kill a Census worker and draw heat to the area? They may be stupid some of them but not that stupid.
Some may not be too educated or too bright, but they have a very tight community. Few will talk and/or rat in that sort of environment. And the criminals know they can count on that.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back