AP picture of wounded Marine sparks debate

It was a damn disgusting thing to do. His father begged them not to do it. I hope he has some legal recourse. God bless this family in their loss and god damn the AP. to hell.

and why doesn't shit head bring the troops home like he promised in his messianic campaign speeches?

The father did not own the rights to the picture in question. I am not aware of any law being broken here.

You're right, it was legal. Disrespectful as hell, but legal.
Just because somebody has the right to do something, does that make doing it right?
No, it doesn't. I am not saying people don't have a right to be upset, if they want to be. They do. But as I said in my other post, we have to honor the First Amendment. We can't just flaunt it about when it agree with certain action, while trampling it at other times. Too often, that is what people try to do.

These types of pictures are as old as cameras.

Many famous pictures captured the dead and dying, such as this Bob Capa pic from the Spanish civil war of the moment of death.

robertcapaspanishwar.jpg

There is no pretty way to show war, war is killing.

The father did not own the rights to the picture in question. I am not aware of any law being broken here.

Just because somebody has the right to do something, does that make doing it right?
No, it doesn't. I am not saying people don't have a right to be upset, if they want to be. They do. But as I said in my other post, we have to honor the First Amendment. We can't just flaunt it about when it agree with certain action, while trampling it at other times. Too often, that is what people try to do.

I agree with you on the First Amendment.
But there is such a thing as respect for the fallen. As a consumer of what the free press regurgitates into my living room if I don't like it, it's also my First Amendment right to say so.

Last edited:

But there is such a thing as respect for the fallen. As a consumer of what the free press regurgitates into my living room if I don't like it, it's also my First Amendment right to say so.

You are right. There are other ways to handle the situation, than trying to file frivolous lawsuits. That is the point I was trying to convey to Willow.

You are right. There are other ways to handle the situation, than trying to file frivolous lawsuits. That is the point I was trying to convey to Willow.

Lawsuits? No laws were broken.
Although the very, very dark irony in it is that, if he had been in his coffin instead of lying on the ground, the AP would have been in big trouble with the DOD for publishing that photo without the next of kin's approval. It all boils down to respect. The AP should have had it. Hopefully they will next time.

While it may be distasteful and not so kind to the family it is the reality of what is going on. Some I am sure sit and watch you tube and other videos of people from other countries being assassinated, tortured and so on including the tank incident at Tiananmen Square.
Maybe images like will help get them home.

They aren't going to get anyone home. They are used by the media and political opportunists in an attempt to sway public opinion to their respective points of view.

Which is irrelevant to the fact his family opposed publication of his picture. People die every day over there. Find someone whose family DOESN'T care.

This is just more self-rigtheous, irresponsible behavior by the media.

I did not condone it, but it is reality! We see and read about deaths every day as the numbers continue to rise. The piece of shit in office was elected on one point of bringing them home so why are they still there? Now they want 40K plus more and at a cost to who? In the end what is left? The same damn thing as when we went.

You are also a truther - so your opinion counts for very little in the real world of common sense...

You are the one that has no sense whatsoever. You're scared of every little thing. ooooh Van Jones!!! Run!! ooooh el Presidente wants education to succeed!! oooh death panels........

You're just a human Xerox machine with speakers.

And yet, you are the truther...

I am not a truther, I am not a signatory to the document you reference. But I do have military knowledge that precludes my credulity concerning the 'explanations' contained in 911 Report, a copy of which I own and have read.

I find it odd that a family would request such a thing. Truth is truth. I am of the opinion that neither Iraq nor Afghanistan nor any of its citizens are worthy of such sacrifices. Not even one dead soldier. Not even one injured soldier. Not even one tired soldier. Nothing.

Maybe they just want privacy.
Maybe they don't want their son's sacrifice to be the subject of a thread like this, let alone the more vicious blogs.
Maybe they don't want to see it on the front page of their local newspaper in the morning.
Maybe it's against their religious beliefs.

Who cares why? The fact is, they did request the picture not be used. It should not have been used. This is not rocket science, regardless of your personal views on either war. Next!

Don't bother with that one - he believes the US government was behind 9-11.

He and Van Jones are simpatico...

I am not a truther and I am not a "He", either.

So you're batting zero.

Maybe they just want privacy.
Maybe they don't want their son's sacrifice to be the subject of a thread like this, let alone the more vicious blogs.
Maybe they don't want to see it on the front page of their local newspaper in the morning.
Maybe it's against their religious beliefs.

Who cares why? The fact is, they did request the picture not be used. It should not have been used. This is not rocket science, regardless of your personal views on either war. Next!

Don't bother with that one - he believes the US government was behind 9-11.

He and Van Jones are simpatico...

I am not a truther and I am not a "He", either.

So you're batting zero.

Why should today be different from any other? ;)

Although the very, very dark irony in it is that, if he had been in his coffin instead of lying on the ground, the AP would have been in big trouble with the DOD for publishing that photo without the next of kin's approval. It all boils down to respect. The AP should have had it. Hopefully they will next time.

Willow is the one that brought up the lawsuit angle. That is what I responded to.

Willow is the one that brought up the lawsuit angle. That is what I responded to.

Sorry, I understand that. Shouldn't have hit quote. ;)

Not a problem :) What the heck is that in your avatar? You aren't having a bad hair day are you? lol

Not a problem :) What the heck is that in your avatar? You aren't having a bad hair day are you? lol

No, it's not blue. Yet.
Finding the right avatar is like dating. Gotta kiss a lot of frogs...
Although to be honest, this looks more like the stoned spawn of Cousin It.

NEW YORK – Defense Secretary Robert Gates expressed disappointment Friday at news outlets that used a picture taken and distributed by The Associated Press depicting a U.S. Marine mortally wounded in combat in Afghanistan.

The AP distributed the picture despite personal pleas from Gates and the dead Marine's family in a case that illustrated the difficult decisions in reporting on a conflict where Americans have seen relatively few images of fallen U.S. troops over eight years.

The picture, by AP photographer Julie Jacobson, showed Lance Cpl. Joshua "Bernie" Bernard, 21, lying on the ground with severe leg injuries after being struck by a grenade in an ambush on Aug. 14, his fellow Marines tending to him. Bernard later died of his wounds.

Gates wrote a strongly worded letter to AP President and CEO Tom Curley on Thursday, saying it was a matter of "judgment and common decency" not to use the photo. A Pentagon spokesman said Gates followed up with a phone call "begging" Curley not to use it.

After the photo was published Friday, the Pentagon released its communications with the AP.

AP picture of wounded Marine sparks debate - Yahoo! News

capt_513c2b7e16134bb29d959b2478e895.jpg

Nothing particularly noteworthy about this...

It's a Leftist disregard for the sanctity of a very private moment in a young man's life... and a demonstration of my prediction, albeit, a rather obvious one... when they were promoting the interests of our Islamic Enemy... and would use their undying support for "the good war in Afghanistan" to try and discredit the charges of treason and 'traitor'... that as soon as the campaign in Iraq calmed, they'd lose any sense of moral clarity regarding Afghanistan and turn to the same treason regarding that campaign.

If that was my son... The AP would be short one Editor and one photographer the instant that my means provided my ability to get to them. I would provide them the same respect that they showed that Marine and with every bit of the same passion to duty that they used to disregard that Marines final moments... I'd tend to my responsibility to defend the honor of my Son.

But by all means Leftists... keep pushin'; and when ya finally cross that unknowable line... understand that we begged ya to stop and you ignored the plea... thus the responsibility for what befalls you, will be wholly your own.

You are the one that has no sense whatsoever. You're scared of every little thing. ooooh Van Jones!!! Run!! ooooh el Presidente wants education to succeed!! oooh death panels........

You're just a human Xerox machine with speakers.

And yet, you are the truther...

I am not a truther, I am not a signatory to the document you reference. But I do have military knowledge that precludes my credulity concerning the 'explanations' contained in 911 Report, a copy of which I own and have read.

Veritas, you suspect much, know little, and give many a chuckle. Move on.

NEW YORK – Defense Secretary Robert Gates expressed disappointment Friday at news outlets that used a picture taken and distributed by The Associated Press depicting a U.S. Marine mortally wounded in combat in Afghanistan.

The AP distributed the picture despite personal pleas from Gates and the dead Marine's family in a case that illustrated the difficult decisions in reporting on a conflict where Americans have seen relatively few images of fallen U.S. troops over eight years.

The picture, by AP photographer Julie Jacobson, showed Lance Cpl. Joshua "Bernie" Bernard, 21, lying on the ground with severe leg injuries after being struck by a grenade in an ambush on Aug. 14, his fellow Marines tending to him. Bernard later died of his wounds.

Gates wrote a strongly worded letter to AP President and CEO Tom Curley on Thursday, saying it was a matter of "judgment and common decency" not to use the photo. A Pentagon spokesman said Gates followed up with a phone call "begging" Curley not to use it.

After the photo was published Friday, the Pentagon released its communications with the AP.

AP picture of wounded Marine sparks debate - Yahoo! News

capt_513c2b7e16134bb29d959b2478e895.jpg

Nothing particularly noteworthy about this...

It's a Leftist disregard for the sanctity of a very private moment in a young man's life... and a demonstration of my prediction, albeit, a rather obvious one... when they were promoting the interests of our Islamic Enemy... and would use their undying support for "the good war in Afghanistan" to try and discredit the charges of treason and 'traitor'... that as soon as the campaign in Iraq calmed, they'd lose any sense of moral clarity regarding Afghanistan and turn to the same treason regarding that campaign.

If that was my son... The AP would be short one Editor and one photographer the instant that my means provided my ability to get to them. I would provide them the same respect that they showed that Marine and with every bit of the same passion to duty that they used to disregard that Marines final moments... I'd tend to my responsibility to defend the honor of my Son.

But by all means Leftists... keep pushin'; and when ya finally cross that unknowable line... understand that we begged ya to stop and you ignored the plea... thus the responsibility for what befalls you, will be wholly your own.

PI, you are talking out of your butt. You would back off crying in heart beat. Now stop it, you are posturing.

Last edited:
It was a damn disgusting thing to do. His father begged them not to do it. I hope he has some legal recourse. God bless this family in their loss and god damn the AP. to hell.

and why doesn't shit head bring the troops home like he promised in his messianic campaign speeches?

You believed him?

Forum List

Back