AP picture of wounded Marine sparks debate

Discussion in 'Media' started by strollingbones, Sep 5, 2009.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    NEW YORK – Defense Secretary Robert Gates expressed disappointment Friday at news outlets that used a picture taken and distributed by The Associated Press depicting a U.S. Marine mortally wounded in combat in Afghanistan.

The AP distributed the picture despite personal pleas from Gates and the dead Marine's family in a case that illustrated the difficult decisions in reporting on a conflict where Americans have seen relatively few images of fallen U.S. troops over eight years.

The picture, by AP photographer Julie Jacobson, showed Lance Cpl. Joshua "Bernie" Bernard, 21, lying on the ground with severe leg injuries after being struck by a grenade in an ambush on Aug. 14, his fellow Marines tending to him. Bernard later died of his wounds.

Gates wrote a strongly worded letter to AP President and CEO Tom Curley on Thursday, saying it was a matter of "judgment and common decency" not to use the photo. A Pentagon spokesman said Gates followed up with a phone call "begging" Curley not to use it.

After the photo was published Friday, the Pentagon released its communications with the AP.

AP picture of wounded Marine sparks debate - Yahoo! News

[​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Dis

Dis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know why, but I can see picture after picture after picture, and while sad, not much phases me...

But for some reason, that particular picture (boot, gun, helmet) just fucks me up to the point of tears every time. :(

3. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    just to be clear..that is not the pic in question....the pic inquestion....the family has ask that picture of their son dying not be used.

that pic is a makeshift memorial to bernard.

(i know you knew this dis but i have found you cant underestimate the stupidity of some posters)

4. pete

pete The food stamp president

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +232
    While it may be distasteful and not so kind to the family it is the reality of what is going on. Some I am sure sit and watch you tube and other videos of people from other countries being assassinated, tortured and so on including the tank incident at Tiananmen Square.
    Maybe images like will help get them home.

5. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,779
    It was a damn disgusting thing to do. His father begged them not to do it. I hope he has some legal recourse. God bless this family in their loss and god damn the AP. to hell.

and why doesn't shit head bring the troops home like he promised in his messianic campaign speeches?

6. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,307
    Maybe next time the AP will post pictures of muslims stoning people to death. Nah!

7. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    If the family objected, it shouldn't have been used. Period.

8. Contumacious

Contumacious Radical Freedom

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,865
    Yes, yes - the AP is a bad news outlet for showing Americans that the Afghan conflict has deadly consequences.

[​IMG]

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    They aren't going to get anyone home. They are used by the media and political opportunists in an attempt to sway public opinion to their respective points of view.

Which is irrelevant to the fact his family opposed publication of his picture. People die every day over there. Find someone whose family DOESN'T care.

This is just more self-rigtheous, irresponsible behavior by the media.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. Toome

Toome Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Seems that the news media thinks that it alone can decide when something is appropriate and when it is not. Why not show the anti-West rallies that take place inside mosques? Because the news media believes this would inflame American anger towards Muslims. Yet the news media believes that showing photographs such as this is some sort of ethical obligation, especially over the protests of the family?

When do we, the people, take back control? Or do we just sit aside and let some news media executive decide what's good for us?

As for all you liberal apologists who believe that this is a dose of reality that the American people need to be exposed to----no picture can accurately portray what real combat is like. No picture can capture what goes on inside men's hearts when they are about to do battle. No picture can capture the real ugly brutality of war. Unless you've danced with the devil, you will never have the slightest idea of what real combat is like. So don't try to sell that bullshit to the rest of us that this gives war a sense of "reality."