AP: Obama expects support for more Afghanistan troops

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mal, Nov 25, 2009.

?

What is your feeling about Obama's decision

Poll closed Nov 30, 2009.
  1. It's not enough - we need more than the requested 40,000 troops there

30.0%
  2. It's not enough - We need the full 40,000 troops requested

10.0%
  3. It's right on target

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It's too much - we should add troops but fewer than 30,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. It's too much - we should be pulling out ASAP

40.0%
  6. Other

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mal

mal Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,028
    Obama expects support for more Afghanistan troops
    TBO.com - News From AP

By ANNE GEARAN
    AP National Security Writer Nov 25, 6:42 AM EST

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Barack Obama expects Americans to support sending tens of thousands more U.S. troops to Afghanistan once they understand the perils of losing, and he is preparing to make his case to the nation next week.

Eight years after the Sept. 11 attacks led the U.S. into Afghanistan, Obama said it is still in America's vital national interest to "dismantle and destroy" al-Qaida terrorists and extremist allies. "I intend to finish the job," he said.

---

^Does he have the Smell of LBJ on him?...

2012 could be 1968 for the DNC.

:)

peace...

2. mal

mal Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,028
    Hell, 2010 could be, and Barry won't even be Running...

Where are the Anti-War Lefties who Obsessed about either of these Wars being Wrong and Unconstitutional?...

Am I going to Start Reading their Displeasure with his Continuing these "Failed" Wars?...

We Lost the War on Terror, didn't we?...

I can't Keep the Left's Talking Points Straight.

peace...

3. PatekPhilippe

PatekPhilippe Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    Good...but the Code Pink anti-war, wannabe hippie fucks will be out in force.
    [​IMG]

4. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    Once again, Obama ran his campaign on refocusing on Afghanistan. He is doing what he said he was going to do. Outside the far left anti-any war loons and the far right isolationists I don't recall people calling A-Stan the wrong, illegal, etc.

It was always "Iraq, Iraq, Iraq"

5. mal

mal Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,028
    Does he have 100% Support from his DemocRATS in Congress?...

If my Memory Serves me, they aren't CODEPINK(O), are they?...

McGovern is leading a group of 73 members who are sponsoring legislation to require Defense Secretary Robert Gates to outline a military exit strategy from Afghanistan by the end of this year.

^MeThinks they were MORE Vocal during (43), and the "Free Press" More Willing to Entertain them than now...

As for Iraq... What's "Changed" since (43)?...

The Patriot Act?...

Warrantless Wiretaps?...

GITMO?...

Where is the Left on these Issues?...

I Remember them being LOUD as Fuck a Year Ago...

Lapdogs now.

Enter LBJ II.

Barry has NO Intention of "Winning"... I Assure you of that.

[​IMG]

Newsweek: "Obama's Vietnam" Is Afghanistan

^Newsweak Hinted at the "Vietnam" aspect of what Barry might do a while back...

Policing Afghanistan is NOT Winning there...

It wasn't a Winning Strateegery in the Nam, and it won't be in Afghanistan.

I Support this President Winning in Afghanistan...

MeThinks he is going to Use this Increase as a "Last Try", and then Claim Victory and Leave after he Wins a 2nd Term...

All of this is Dependent on 2010 though.

The Voters may do to him what Je$$e said he wanted to Politically next Fall.

Someone in the "Free Press" Needs to Break Free from the Pack of Sycophants and Ask Barry this Question:

"What does 'Finish the Job' mean, Mr. President?... And Please, don't Look at your Teleprompter for the Answer."

peace...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    No, Mal, he doesn't have 100% support from the Dems in Congress that has been clear since day one.

I repeat myself but Iraq was the reason Bush's feet were held to the fire not A-Stan. That's what he was getting hammered on. Obama has a window to follow through on Iraq and it closes next summer. A-Stan has always been seen as the noble fight in the eyes of most Democrats so I don't understand how you expect them to rail on him for doing what he said he was going to do. You want to apply the same rules to different wars but they don't match up.

He effed himself in my view by backing the Patriot Act again and GITMO. But the left is for the most part keeping their problem with it to themselves much like the right didn't have a problem keeping eerily silent about Bush doubling the debt and massively expanding government in his 8 years but now they are loud as fuck about Obama's spending. The truth is that neither side wants to publicly come out that strongly against "their guy." Instead they show their disdain at the voting booth.

Maybe you're right on his plan to declare victory and leave A-Stan later on. Personally, I don't think we can "win" there, only contain. Maybe just like almost every other time we've dug ourselves into one place for that long we don't ever leave. I see that as a much more likely scenario.

7. nodoginnafight

nodoginnafight No Party Affiliation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    Obama has apparently made the decision to send an additional 30,000 troops to Afghanistan and to accept McChrystal's reccommendation to marginalize the Taliban by taking up aggressive positions in Taliban strongholds.

I think this is a big mistake for several reasons.

1) Afghanistan is not Iraq. They have never had a tradition of a strong centralized government and I believe that trying to establish one now is a mistake because it is doomed to failure and it exceeds our original mission to eradicate Al Qaeda.

2) The Taliban is not Al Qaeda. They may be largely indifferent to Al Qaeda BUT they offered to turn over Bin Laden in the first days of bombing in Afghanistan and they have also kicked Al Qaeda out of Afghanistan (intelligence indicates that fewer than 100 Al Qaeda operatives remain in Afghanistan.) The Taliban is a highly nationalistic group who has shown no interest in exporting their influence.

3) Remember the Russians. A wise man learns from his mistakes. A REALLY wise man can learn from OTHER PEOPLE'S mistakes.

4) 85% of the objectives for going into Afghanistan in the first place have been met. (Obviously folks are free to give a greater percentage weight to objectives - this represents my own personal opinion.) I reserve the last 15% for capturing or confirming the death of Bin Laden. I'd love to see that objective met. Unfortunately, at this point, the window of opportunity to confirm his death, may have slammed shut. At any case, imho it is not worth the additional casualties and expense to chase this objective since it is so unlikely to be met anyway.

8. JWBooth

JWBooth Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,957
    From my vantage point here on the right I see nothing to argue with in your points my left leaning compadre.

The notion that the ongoing occupation of Afghanistan is going to be successful is laughable simply from the long view of history. Fortifying the cities while abandoning the countryside isn't a strategy it is an admission of failure. Since he admits failure, bring the boys home before we get any more of them killed.

Your 85% remark is interesting. Last summer I argued that McLouse was a looser for the GOP, that he did not offer the voters a clear alternative to Obummer. Often the refutations were that McLooser was 80% good enough on conservative issues. If 80% was good enough for the right on a potus candidate, why wouldn't 85% be good enough on this war. Apples and oranges, I know, still.....

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  9. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    I agree with everything except perhaps the "failure" designation. IF the objective has always remained delivering a crippling blow to Al Qaeda - then IMHO we have succeeded.

But IF the objective creeps and becomes establishing a strong, U.S.-friendly, centralized government, then I would agree with using the term failure. This was NEVER going to happen no matter how many lives we sacrifice - imho.

10. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    I see we had one "other" vote. Could that voter explain their position? I'm honestly not trying to bait you into something that I'm just going to rip into. (I know that's common on these boards) but I really am just interested in hearing all perspectives.
    Thanks.