AP fact checks liberal claims about their wealth envy

You people have nothing do you?

Silly tricks of deversion and derision.

Those pesky facts you can never get right will not win you any votes

how-to-draw-a-goat-8.gif

HE FUCKING LIED about the tax bracket.

That was his first "fact" written in the article.

they guy is a lying sack of partisan turds

What do you think the average is that people in that income bracket pay in federal income taxes?

And I a not interested in hearing what the tax rate is for that income bracket, rather what is actually paid after deductions are taken. That is called the 'effective' tax and 15% sounds just about right to me.

Go get your proof of what you claim

HE FUCKING LIED about the tax bracket.

That was his first "fact" written in the article.

they guy is a lying sack of partisan turds

What do you think the average is that people in that income bracket pay in federal income taxes?

And I a not interested in hearing what the tax rate is for that income bracket, rather what is actually paid after deductions are taken. That is called the 'effective' tax and 15% sounds just about right to me.

Go get your proof of what you claim

cartoon_goat.png

The article also said:

This year, households making more than $1 million will pay an average of 29.1 percent of their income in federal taxes

But your source says:

the 35 percent bracket applies to taxable income from $379,150 and above.

The writer of the article must have downplayed how much the wealthy pay in taxes! So much for your rightwing hack theory.

They don't say anything about the top 400 - who paid an average of 17% last year.

And Warren Buffet stills pay tax at a lower rate than his secretary. His secretary is probably well paid - after all, Buffet needs the best he can get and can afford it - but since her income is "ordinary income" it is taxed at a higher rate that most of Buffet's income.

I personally think all income above 1 mil should be taxed at 50% minus whatever you pay in state and local taxes on it.
50%?......Do you not understand what that will do to investment and job growth?

Lunatics!:cuckoo:

what was the top tax rates under reagan?
Reagan lowered the top income tax rate from 50% to 28%, and the economy began to thrive.

Next.

The article also said:

This year, households making more than $1 million will pay an average of 29.1 percent of their income in federal taxes

But your source says:

The writer of the article must have downplayed how much the wealthy pay in taxes! So much for your rightwing hack theory.

Dude go read the thread through agian.

You have me pegged completely wrong

On average, the wealthiest people in America pay a lot more taxes than the middle class or the poor, according to private and government data. They pay at a higher rate, and as a group, they contribute a much larger share of the overall taxes collected by the federal government.
The 10 percent of households with the highest incomes pay more than half of all federal taxes. They pay more than 70 percent of federal income taxes, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

FACT CHECK: Are rich taxed less than secretaries? - Yahoo! News

Households making between $50,000 and $75,000 will pay an average of 15 percent of their income in federal taxes.

And that's a crime. The Federal Government shouldn't be taking half of that from anyone.

The article also said:

But your source says:

Dude go read the thread through agian.

You have me pegged completely wrong

What I posted is equivalent to the "lie" you accused the author of making.

On average, the wealthiest people in America pay a lot more taxes than the middle class or the poor, according to private and government data. They pay at a higher rate, and as a group, they contribute a much larger share of the overall taxes collected by the federal government.
The 10 percent of households with the highest incomes pay more than half of all federal taxes. They pay more than 70 percent of federal income taxes, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

This does not refute the allegation that many very rich investors are taxed at a lower percentage of their income than Warren Buffet's secretary. You are committing the fallacy of set inversion, examining the percentage of total taxes paid by the wealthy instead of the percentage of their total wealth that the rich pay in taxes.

Let me illustrate.

Say you have a small community of 100 people. The richest person in this community makes $10 million a year. Everyone else makes $25,000 a year.

The rich person is taxed at 10% of his income. Everyone else is taxed at 25%.

The total taxes paid by the 99 poorest people is $618,750. The total tax paid by the one richest person is $1 million.

The richest person pays more in taxes than the other 99 people combined. The richest person also pays less than half of the percentage of his income in taxes that anyone else does.

Your fact check in fact checked nothing.

This does not refute the allegation that many very rich investors are taxed at a lower percentage of their income than Warren Buffet's secretary. You are committing the fallacy of set inversion, examining the percentage of total taxes paid by the wealthy instead of the percentage of their total wealth that the rich pay in taxes.

Let me illustrate.

Say you have a small community of 100 people. The richest person in this community makes $10 million a year. Everyone else makes $25,000 a year.

The total taxes paid by the 99 poorest people is $618,750. The total tax paid by the one richest person is $1 million.

The richest person pays more in taxes than the other 99 people combined. The richest person also pays less than half of the percentage of his income in taxes that anyone else does.

You should actually read the article. It doesn't just talk about the percentage of total taxes paid, it also talks about the percentage of income paid in taxes.

Last edited:

Let me illustrate.

LMAO!

Your boy and Buffet are blatantly lying.......Buffet does in fact pay a much higher income tax rate then his secretary.......It's not even up for debate.

They are blatantly trying to deceive the american people by using false hyperbole.

Buffet admits his secretary makes 60 g's a year.......Go look up the rate charts and prove she pays a higher rate.

You should actually read the article. It doesn't just talk about the percentage of total taxes paid, it also talks about the percentage of income paid in taxes.

So it did. I responded to the section quoted, which did contain the fallacy I mentioned, and that fallacy is often used for deceptive purposes (in many cases, I'm convinced, by those who don't understand it).

I remain convinced, of course, that 1) the rich SHOULD pay a higher percentage of their income than the non-rich, and that 2) currently they're paying too little. And a response about what a large share of federal income tax is paid by rich people does not address that. The reason they do, is because they take an obscene share of the income, and low taxes on the rich is part of the reason why.

Forum List

Back