AP FACT CHECK: ‘Tariff Man’ Trump wrong on import taxes

McRocket

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2018
'WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump promised on Twitter that tariffs would maximize the country’s economic heft and “MAKE AMERICA RICH AGAIN.”

Almost all economists say the president is wrong. That’s because tariffs are taxes on imports. They can cause higher prices, reduce trade among countries and hurt overall economic growth as a result.

The president’s tweet on Tuesday followed an announcement that the U.S. would not increase a 10 percent tariff on $200 billion of Chinese goods in 2019. The two largest countries are in the middle of negotiating their terms of trade, after Trump said cheap imports from China were impoverishing the United States.

After Trump announced steel and aluminum tariffs earlier this year, the University of Chicago asked leading academic economists in March whether Americans would be better off because of import taxes.

Not a single economist surveyed said the United States would be wealthier.

Nobel Prize-winning economist Richard Thaler answered the survey by saying, “In net we want more trade not less. This is unlikely to help and runs the risk of starting a trade war. SAD.”

A look at the president’s tweet and how it compares with the facts:

TRUMP: “I am a Tariff Man. When people or countries come in to raid the great wealth of our Nation, I want them to pay for the privilege of doing so. It will always be the best way to max out our economic power. We are right now taking in $billions in Tariffs. MAKE AMERICA RICH AGAIN.”

THE FACTS: Trump seems to be claiming that tariffs are some kind of a membership fee for foreign companies to trade in the U.S. economy.

They’re not. Tariffs are a tax, per Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution.

The costs of this tax are borne by U.S. consumers and businesses, often in the form of higher prices. Foreign companies may end up selling fewer goods and services if the United States imposes high tariffs. So they pay a price, too.

In some cases, the tariffs exist to protect industries that are vital for national security. Or, the tariffs exist to retaliate against the trade practices of other countries. Or, they might protect politically connected companies.

In the past, White House aides have insisted that Trump’s tariff hikes are a negotiating ploy. Yet the president offered no such qualifications on Tuesday.

Tariffs are not seen as some easy way of generating massive wealth for an economically developed nation. Nor do the budget numbers suggest they can come anywhere close to covering the costs of the federal government.

Trump is correct that tariffs did generate $41.3 billion in tax revenues last fiscal year, according to the Treasury Department. But that is a pittance in a federal budget that exceeds $4.1 trillion.

The taxes collected on imports were equal to about 1 percent of all federal spending.'

AP FACT CHECK: 'Tariff Man' Trump wrong on import taxes

Once again - it has been shown - that if you think Trump's tariffs are good for America...THAN YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

If they result in more foreign purchases of US goods and services, they're good.
If they result in better behavior by the Chinese, they're good.

Too soon to tell.

'WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump promised on Twitter that tariffs would maximize the country’s economic heft and “MAKE AMERICA RICH AGAIN.”

Almost all economists say the president is wrong. That’s because tariffs are taxes on imports. They can cause higher prices, reduce trade among countries and hurt overall economic growth as a result.

The president’s tweet on Tuesday followed an announcement that the U.S. would not increase a 10 percent tariff on $200 billion of Chinese goods in 2019. The two largest countries are in the middle of negotiating their terms of trade, after Trump said cheap imports from China were impoverishing the United States.

After Trump announced steel and aluminum tariffs earlier this year, the University of Chicago asked leading academic economists in March whether Americans would be better off because of import taxes.

Not a single economist surveyed said the United States would be wealthier.

Nobel Prize-winning economist Richard Thaler answered the survey by saying, “In net we want more trade not less. This is unlikely to help and runs the risk of starting a trade war. SAD.”

A look at the president’s tweet and how it compares with the facts:

TRUMP: “I am a Tariff Man. When people or countries come in to raid the great wealth of our Nation, I want them to pay for the privilege of doing so. It will always be the best way to max out our economic power. We are right now taking in $billions in Tariffs. MAKE AMERICA RICH AGAIN.”

THE FACTS: Trump seems to be claiming that tariffs are some kind of a membership fee for foreign companies to trade in the U.S. economy.

They’re not. Tariffs are a tax, per Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution.

The costs of this tax are borne by U.S. consumers and businesses, often in the form of higher prices. Foreign companies may end up selling fewer goods and services if the United States imposes high tariffs. So they pay a price, too.

In some cases, the tariffs exist to protect industries that are vital for national security. Or, the tariffs exist to retaliate against the trade practices of other countries. Or, they might protect politically connected companies.

In the past, White House aides have insisted that Trump’s tariff hikes are a negotiating ploy. Yet the president offered no such qualifications on Tuesday.

Tariffs are not seen as some easy way of generating massive wealth for an economically developed nation. Nor do the budget numbers suggest they can come anywhere close to covering the costs of the federal government.

Trump is correct that tariffs did generate $41.3 billion in tax revenues last fiscal year, according to the Treasury Department. But that is a pittance in a federal budget that exceeds $4.1 trillion.

The taxes collected on imports were equal to about 1 percent of all federal spending.'

AP FACT CHECK: 'Tariff Man' Trump wrong on import taxes

Once again - it has been shown - that if you think Trump's tariffs are good for America...THAN YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.
Moronic Leftist sheep believe anything.

If they result in more foreign purchases of US goods and services, they're good.
Tariffs on imports to the U.S. would have no effect on gross exports.

I’m not sure what you mean by “good behavior.” And whatever good behavior you mean would have to economically outweigh the increase price of imports.

I’m not sure what you mean by “good behavior.” And whatever good behavior you mean would have to economically outweigh the increase price of imports.

They could, if they change the behavior of our trading partners. If.

I’m not sure what you mean by “good behavior.”

Less IP theft. Less manipulation. Less bullshit.

And whatever good behavior you mean would have to economically outweigh the increase price of imports.

Yup.

It's amazing how lolberals can see that taxes jack up prices and cost jobs when the Cheeto is raising them.

Positively breathtaking.
Not all taxes raise prices or cost jobs, tariffs on imports certainly do raise prices, though they shouldn't affect jobs. and that’s true regardless of president.

They could, if they change the behavior of our trading partners. If.

I’m not sure what you mean by “good behavior.”

Less IP theft. Less manipulation. Less bullshit.
No direct connection with tariffs. You are talking about political negotiations that could result from anything, including pressure from threat of tariffs

Not all taxes raise prices or cost jobs, tariffs on imports certainly do raise prices, though they shouldn't affect jobs. and that’s true regardless of president.
Yes, all taxes raise prices and cost jobs....All of them.

Every single dollar expropriated by The State comes out of the pocket of someone who could have used those funds for something productive.

Yes, all taxes raise prices and cost jobs....All of them.

Every single dollar expropriated by The State comes out of the pocket of someone who could have used those funds for something productive.
Less money in circulation has a deflationary effect. More money moving raises prices. Use taxes and taxes on production and consumer goods usually raise prices, but I’d be pushed to come up with examples where they cost jobs.corporate income taxes could, in some circumstances cost jobs. Personal income taxes neither raise prices nor cost jobs.

Less money in circulation has a deflationary effect. More money moving raises prices. Use taxes and taxes on production and consumer goods usually raise prices, but I’d be pushed to come up with examples where they cost jobs.corporate income taxes could, in some circumstances cost jobs. Personal income taxes neither raise prices nor cost jobs.

The Broken-Window Fallacy | Robert P. Murphy

The Broken-Window Fallacy | Robert P. Murphy
Has nothing to do with what I’ve been saying

Forum List

Back