AP Exclusive: Video shows chicks ground up alive

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
My Way News - AP Exclusive: Video shows chicks ground up alive

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif] WASHINGTON (AP) - An undercover video shot by an animal rights group at an Iowa egg hatchery shows workers discarding unwanted chicks by sending them alive into a grinder, and other chicks falling through a sorting machine to die on the factory floor.
Chicago-based Mercy for Animals said it shot the video at Hy-Line North America's hatchery in Spencer, Iowa, over a two-week period in May and June. The video was obtained Monday by The Associated Press.
Hy-Line said in a statement it has started an investigation "of the entire situation," adding that it would have helped their investigation "had we been aware of the potential violation immediately after it occurred."
The video, shot with a hidden camera and microphone by a Mercy for Animals employee who got a job at the plant, shows a Hy-Line worker sorting through a conveyor belt of chirping chicks, flipping some of them into a chute like a poker dealer flips cards.
These chicks, which a narrator says are males, are then shown being dropped alive into a grinding machine.
In other parts of the video, a chick is shown dying on the factory floor amid a heap of egg shells after falling through a sorting machine. Another chick, also still alive, is seen lying on the floor after getting scalded by a wash cycle, according to the video narrator.
Hy-Line said the video "appears to show an inappropriate action and violation of our animal welfare policies," referring to chicks on the factory floor.
But the company also noted that "instantaneous euthanasia" - a reference to killing of male chicks by the grinder - is a standard practice supported by the animal veterinary and scientific community.
According to Mercy for Animals, male chicks are of no use to the industry because they can't lay eggs and don't grow large or quickly enough to be raised profitably for meat. That results in the killing of 200 million male chicks a year.

[/FONT]

As long as it doesn't affect agribusiness profits, who cares, eh xenophon? Now THAT would be a shame. No! Crap like this is unnecessary, uncalled-for and disgusting and so is anyone who defends such practices.

anyone one remember that Turkey facing a death panel behind Palin? - L.O.L....goodtimes!

As long as it doesn't affect agribusiness profits, who cares, eh xenophon? Now THAT would be a shame. No! Crap like this is unnecessary, uncalled-for and disgusting and so is anyone who defends such practices.

so what would your solution be to this issue.........

Ahh... A sub-species is realizing the unspeakable CRUELTY of being killed as a food resource...

Naturally this is reported by our in-house secular humanists as an OUTRAGE!

Even as human beings are being subjected to the same fate... only without the utility of being used to subsidize the lives of others... and NOT A WORD... unless such is being DEFENDED AS A FREAKIN' RIGHT!

Demonstrating yet again why there is NO REASON that such people should be found within 10 miles of a VOTING BOOTH!

my grandma used to step on chickens heads and pull on their bodies to rip their heads off.

why does cruelty have to be a part of the food chain?
So you'll be raising and butchering your own food from now on?
my grandma used to step on chickens heads and pull on their bodies to rip their heads off.
I had to laugh when I visualized that!
I pulled a chickens' head off in the Phillipines. The body ran around for a little and the beak moved for a few seconds. Dipped the body in water then put it on an open fire for a bit so the feathers could be pulled off easier.
We made bamboo steamers for the rice we brought, chopped up the chicken and cooked it with the rice in the steamers.
Not the tastiest meal I ever had but one I'll never forget.

Question. If you see a fisherman catch a fish, tear out half the fish's internal organs retrieving a lost hook, then throwing said fish in the back of his boat to drown....would you say he is a horrible person?

Despite the republican thing, we are on top of the food chain.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back