AOL Message Boards

Dear AOL refugees.

Welcome.

Please use normal fonts.

Thank you.

- Everybody who was at USMB before you.

Why?

Listen buster - you come here you speak our language, got it?

:lol:

If I see a post from you about "English is our official language" I will mock you mercilessly :lol:

Being an AOL refugee myself, I can tell you that the AOL message boards were so horribly designed that you had to use different color fonts to know who was saying what when there were quotes of multiple previous messages. USMB has a nice quote feature making that practice unnecessary. Old habits are hard to break though so a polite nudge should do the trick if you see anyone using huge colorful fonts.

ok call me cynical, say i am looking for a conspiracy where there is none. but does anyone else find it suspicious that serious news boards have disappeared, not just your one's in the usa, but every board in the u.k. now why? why does aol not want us discussing politics, immigration, the war on terror, anything that is going on in the m.e. ? when i first heard about the uk aol boards going, yep they can't moderate them they are not getting anything from advertising, but when i saw that the serious boards on aol us, had gone, i started thinking. anyone else have views on this.

To a hammer everything is a nail, for a business everything is about the bottom line. But you raise an interesting point, consider newspapers and controversial topics about businesses that took ads out in their papers. Without a sufficient ad business the papers can't make it. So how do you balance tough reporting with you pat my back I'll pat yours?

If I see a post from you about "English is our official language" I will mock you mercilessly :lol:

Being an AOL refugee myself, I can tell you that the AOL message boards were so horribly designed that you had to use different color fonts to know who was saying what when there were quotes of multiple previous messages. USMB has a nice quote feature making that practice unnecessary. Old habits are hard to break though so a polite nudge should do the trick if you see anyone using huge colorful fonts.

Point taken.

But my politeness stops when the poster is being an arsehole about it.

Over the past 3 or 4 years, AOL has gone downhill and at times it seems to be purely intentional. Horrible customer service, phone reps that can't speak English and a Terms of Service staff that enforces the rules inconsistently and sporadically. They are also slowly taking awy the few features that anyone visits AOL for. I had an account with AOL that I used for business emails and it was suddenly terminated. I called and got some yahoo who could barely understand my complaint. It turns out that they terminated my account based on a comment on a message board that I never made (I never even visited the board where the comment was made). They would not even hear my argument and I lost 15 years worth of bookmarks and saved emails.
Nothing would please me more than to see AOL go down the toilet. It will be their own damned fault.

Point taken.

But my politeness stops when the poster is being an arsehole about it.

I'm with ya there.

Here's a hint:

The default settings are what we, as a community, consider "normal."

Well gee.... THAT wasn't in the user's manual.... LOL!
Normal would be what your post looks like without any formatting on your part.

Like I said, THAT wasn't in the user's manual that I very carefully read before I began using.... You know.... The manual with the dos and don'ts.... But when I DID begin using, lo and behold.... There were OPTIONS.... like a choice of colors and fonts and sizes and bold and italics and.... Well, you do get the picture, don't you? But dayum.... What the hell size is "1", "2", "3", "4", "5"? Who knew the translation was "10", "12", "14", "18", "24"? Was I close? Methinks some of you are bitching about nothing....

now try and post in any other colour other than red and be taken seriously :d

no problem!

Hah! Good one! You got me!

Puce?????????????????

Man up - get monochrome :lol:

But good to see red get the boot. We can work on the move to black.

Sorry, but you DID say "any other color and be taken seriously"

Perhaps I should see try my hand at being taken seriously here

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-flame-zone/73212-scrotum-contest.html

or here

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-flame-zone/73241-are-you-idiotic.html

LOL!

I was usually on the financial boards, which are gone now, but any time I went to the War or Politics boards it was always one bunch gangbanging on another. Who needs that? After a while I think they impolded from the weight of all that name-calling and Liberal dewy-eyed frenzy.

(I don't really have a problem with Liberals, it just seems they call the worst names and are the most consistant screamers) After a while it gets old.

Over the past 3 or 4 years, AOL has gone downhill and at times it seems to be purely intentional. Horrible customer service, phone reps that can't speak English and a Terms of Service staff that enforces the rules inconsistently and sporadically. They are also slowly taking awy the few features that anyone visits AOL for. I had an account with AOL that I used for business emails and it was suddenly terminated. I called and got some yahoo who could barely understand my complaint. It turns out that they terminated my account based on a comment on a message board that I never made (I never even visited the board where the comment was made). They would not even hear my argument and I lost 15 years worth of bookmarks and saved emails.
Nothing would please me more than to see AOL go down the toilet. It will be their own damned fault.

I started on aol in 93, I went there from Prodigy. Back then we had to pay by the hour and it was wonderful. You could start your own discussion on anything and weren't limited to whatever AOL wanted you to talk about. Once they started charging by the month, it all went downhill. When they opened the boards to the internet, I quit and I'm glad I did. They wrote me and told me that I could use my old account, my old name with my old passwords years after I'd been on aol. I went back under my old name and they never turned back any of the email people sent me. I have friends in Japan that thought I had gotten their emails and just didn't think them important enough to respond. Then, less than two weeks after I got back into my old account, they closed it to me again. I was never sorry that I left AOL.

I think AOL has already gone down the toilet and is in the sewer system now.

It appears that it's the end of all political discussion boards on AOL.

Some have escaped to one of the Money and Finance Boards.

It's sad really.
They are holed-up in a section where they aren't even welcome trying to have End-Times religious discussions and piss and moan about liberals.

I think I'll rat them out to the TOS creeps....

Dear AOL refugees.

Welcome.

Please use normal fonts.

Why?

Thank you.

Obviously all you members of the "welcoming committee," have a lot of clout here.
You should have your admin guys eliminate the format toolbars so everything can be exactly the same and you won't feel frightened and insecure....

- Everybody who was at USMB before you.

It appears that it's the end of all political discussion boards on AOL.

Some have escaped to one of the Money and Finance Boards.

It's sad really.
They are holed-up in a section where they aren't even welcome trying to have End-Times religious discussions and piss and moan about liberals.

I think I'll rat them out to the TOS creeps....

You really don't believe your own signature line, do you? Or do you believe you're the only one who should have such freedoms?

Well gee.... THAT wasn't in the user's manual.... LOL!
Normal would be what your post looks like without any formatting on your part.

Like I said, THAT wasn't in the user's manual that I very carefully read before I began using.... You know.... The manual with the dos and don'ts.... But when I DID begin using, lo and behold.... There were OPTIONS.... like a choice of colors and fonts and sizes and bold and italics and.... Well, you do get the picture, don't you? But dayum.... What the hell size is "1", "2", "3", "4", "5"? Who knew the translation was "10", "12", "14", "18", "24"? Was I close? Methinks some of you are bitching about nothing....

Get rid of the colors dude. Your not on AOL anymore...act like your a grownup here.

Forum List

Back