AOL Message Boards

Greetings other aol members...

I've been away and took a look at some of my favorite boards to find they NO LONGER exist! Is this the end of our War Board, etc.

Cheers!
Choco

It appears that it's the end of all political discussion boards on AOL.

I've been away and took a look at some of my favorite boards to find they NO LONGER exist! Is this the end of our War Board, etc.

Cheers!
Choco

Some have escaped to one of the Money and Finance Boards.

17 Ways to Beat Boredom Cheaply - AOL Message Boards

Have you read some of the posts on that board?! I decided to take a pass on that kind of garbage.

Cheers!
Choco

hi i am an aol message board refugee, but not from the us boards, all the uk message boards have gone not just the political ones. just dipping my toes in the water here lol.

Some have escaped to one of the Money and Finance Boards.

17 Ways to Beat Boredom Cheaply - AOL Message Boards

Have you read some of the posts on that board?! I decided to take a pass on that kind of garbage.

Some others are trying to make the best of it here

$363 Million Is Hedge Fund Stars' Average Pay - AOL Message Boards

A major corporation which fears people getting together to discuss issues of the say.

How not too terribly surprising.

AOL, and a whole lotta corporations in our world do NOT approve of citizens.

They approve of consumers.

A major corporation which fears people getting together to discuss issues of the say.

How not too terribly surprising.

AOL, and a whole lotta corporations in our world do NOT approve of citizens.

They approve of consumers.

I agree. Since AOL opened its features free to the public, it makes its money selling advertising, and I note that the boards AOL retained have natural advertising tie-ins: sports, travel, finance, autos, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the new blood here, but what happened at your prior board?

AOL announced that it would be making changes in their message boards, starting 3/31/09.

They have currently shut down all message boards about politics and current events, with the current exception of some that pertain to sports, autos, "black voices", and financial news. You can also link to TMZ boards thru AOL where you can discuss inane celebrity drama bullshit.

They may bring some boards back after sifting thru all of their message boards, they may not...nobody knows, including AOL's "customer service" people (AOL customer service-there's a misnomer if ever there was one!)

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the new blood here, but what happened at your prior board?

AOL announced that it would be making changes in their message boards, starting 3/31/09.

They have currently shut down all message boards about politics and current events, with the current exception of some that pertain to sports, autos, "black voices", and financial news. You can also link to TMZ boards thru AOL where you can discuss inane celebrity drama bullshit.

They may bring some boards back after sifting thru all of their message boards, they may not...nobody knows, including AOL's "customer service" people (AOL customer service-there's a misnomer if ever there was one!)

No wonder we have so many new faces here. Debating about celebrity gossip is not my cup of tea either. I think AOL made a mistake, especially during this Obama administration where people are in a need for a place to vent and have their voices heard.

No wonder we have so many new faces here. Debating about celebrity gossip is not my cup of tea either. I think AOL made a mistake, especially during this Obama administration where people are in a need for a place to vent and have their voices heard.

Actually, rumor has it that too many right-wingers were having meltdowns online and incessantly crying to board monitors about losing all their arguments, and that they were continually trying to defame lefty posters by reporting them for beating them in debates so much that AOL decided they had to pull the plug...I guess they felt that it was inhumane to allow wingnuts to keep taking those public beatings like they were.

Hehehe...just kiddin'....:razz:

Hi, DvDud! You got me! I was reading your post going, "I can't believe he's saying that... and that! And THAT!"

I signed up on this board months ago...when it appeared aol was closing it's boards. Honestly, I think aol beleives they are old fashioned... They are a lot of up keep. At one time, when the internet was new and folks would use aol becaszue it was easy...they had a purpose, but now aol doesn't need to attract this crowd. Well I will make my home here now!

I hope nat, Elfy, Nala Skyler Allfordixie and others come here...

Thansk Ann Cherry....it's nice to mmet you, and Navy Mom (Ms Daze) has nothing but kind words to say about you!

Actually, rumor has it that too many right-wingers were having meltdowns online and incessantly crying to board monitors about losing all their arguments, and that they were continually trying to defame lefty posters by reporting them for beating them in debates so much that AOL decided they had to pull the plug...I guess they felt that it was inhumane to allow wingnuts to keep taking those public beatings like they were.

Hehehe...just kiddin'....:razz:

Thanks for the clarification. Otherwise I would have asked you to put up your dukes. :)

now aol shutting down is obama's fault...

Probably the biggest right wing whiner was Mary Cheney, who has a top position at aol headquarters. I noticed a few years ago...once she came aboard, the messageboards slowly faded... First the messageboard links to stories disappeard, then entire boards vanishes... Oh well!

now aol shutting down is obama's fault...

For the next 4 years, possibly 8, EVERYTHING is Obama's fault. Get used to it. :D

Cheers!
Choco

In AOL's original "posting" format, you could click on "chat" or "post message" for each news article on its front page. Then they eliminated the chat rooms and kept the message posting, then they eliminated that too and developed a huge topic-oriented message board. Postings on AOL was much more tame before it got so cluttered, because instead of people genuinely interested in something they just read, you got the usual mishmash of smart, wanting to be smart, ignorant of facts, ignorant of everything, and just plain stupid. (Which defines all message boards!) AOL has shut down its political boards twice before that I'm aware of. I think they get too many complaints from people who get tos'd when they really haven't acted/reacted any worse than the other 99% who post there.

Forum List

Back