Anyone with knowledge on Rabbits? HELP

eric,

The injured one seems to be ok! the skin is drying, and I am going to change the bedding as well. He is eating good, though, he was always a pig and drinking plenty of water. I have found no live particles on him in any area. Just the missing fur - this did happen once before, like mentioned, just not so this extent - he has fur missing on the other side as well. I think once the bedding is changed, and something is built bigger, or they go to rehabilitator, he should be ok. I only felt bad, this is the little guy with the deformed leg too! But I can't thank you enough for getting all that information for me.

Jannen, Im just glad he is doing Ok and that I could help in some small way. I know I can sound gruff in some posts, but I really do believe if we help each other, we make this world a better place for all.

Hey Jane,

My lovely wife says that you should definitely keep the two rabbits separate... apparently rabbits aren't as social as many other animals and tend to fight a lot. If they are the same sex, this will be even more the case. But it sounds like the sores are under control...? Hope so.

Jeff

Thanks eric and Jeff - yes, I think they are both of the same sex, and I did read that 2 male would fight. I just would have thought with a fight there would be blood, this just looks like someone skinned the rabbit. Time will tell!

eric, yes it would be nice to make this place a better place, couldn't agree with you more.

Thanks Dan, shove it deep up his ass too! :)

No Jackass, your not getting a rabbits foot, just dan's foot! hehehe

Funny you bring that up, he's not doing too great! It was defenite that they were fighting, I tried to see that for myself - they are separated at the moment. Lastnight, out of pity, I tried to put oinment on the wounds, and put some bandage on him, for protection - he jumped out of my arms, and that's when I lost it, his skin basically ripped back, and a part of the leg is exposed. I was so upset - I contacted the animal control for the local listing of the Rehabilitors - they said they would take both of them, but they would put both down - NO way! wasn't letting that happen. I did get a hold of a rehabilitator who said to let the one who is healthy go where he came from and to just let the other mend, should he mend, and grow back the hair, then bring him back to spot and let him go too! I suppose that's what is best, but I fear with the one that was hurt, having a deformed leg, would never make it out in the wild, so not sure yet. Time is what matters now! Thanks for asking!

I know it's a tough thing to face, and I'm not sure how bad the one is, but sometimes it's more humane to put an animal down than to let it live in torturous pain.

I have to agree with you 100% Dan, and yes, that is tough. It doesn't appear now that he is suffering though, he is eating, and drinking, and with the other one separated, no more bleeding either. I watch him throughout the day to see if I see any changes. Should he seem to be worse, or any change, then yes, I would do the humane thing for him. I would like to see him ok, and be able to nurture him back, if possible, I like to see them get a chance, but time will tell. Thanks!

That's what I am hoping, and the rehabilitator said that too! she said that should he wind up dying, atleast he was fed and kept safe from wild life that would torture him. So far, so good, that's all I ask...and let him heal. Will let you know in about a week how he's doing. I thank you guys, though, for asking, means a lot.

Forum List

Back