Anyone with knowledge on Rabbits? HELP

J

janeeng

The beginning of Summer, I save 2 baby rabbits, I believe by the looks of them they are cottontails - I was proud to see that they survived and have gotten bigger and stronger. I knew they were getting bigger and had to think, do I keep them? or do I find help....Now, I have a huge problem and I am sick to death. I woke up to my Daughter upset, she ran "Mommy, come see bunny, he's hurt" well, it appears that the one looks as if he was skinned - awhile back, this happened, slightly, but grew back - this is the worse I have seen and not sure what to do - I have 2 pictures here, and I know, it's not a pretty sight to look at, but anyone PLEASE!! that can help me out here, I would appreciate it. I know they can't go back to wild, they are too dependant on me and one has a deformed leg from the spot he was stepped on as a baby...HELP HELP HELP??????

The first picture is of the one that is fine and just to show what they look like

This is the one who has the fur missing! like he has been skinned!

Bring it to a Vet, immediately! He'll probably need some medication/ointment to assist in the healing.

Are they eating?

No, no fur in the cage - or let's say, no clumps, when I cleaned it, there was a strand here and there, but nothing that would amount to what's missing! I just can't figure it out, it's a sad sight and not sure what to do!

They eat fine, drink fine! this happened once before, but nothing like this, a little hair missing, but I put ointment on it, and left it alone, the picture what you saw is just one side, the other side has missing hair too! On a Saturday, christ, that would cost a fortune to bring to emergency vet! I am thinking more of the rehabilitators, not sure! or just give them a couple days!

Yeah, I agree with Jim, take him to the vet.
I hate to think of it but it might be one rabbit attacked the other, possibly biting. Might explain the abcense of fur.

If the other attacked wouldn't there be more than that? like blood? there is no blood, nothing, and they are always together. I would think if they attacked, there would be cuts, not just the skin like that. I guess it's a vet visit, or someone in Middlesex who has the knowledge of these rabbits.

BTW - thanks so much for answering me Mntbiker and Jim! It's not easy when a 4 year old comes crying to you! I am lost with words on this, or the knowledge.

I don't think I was much help. Maybe seperate the rabbits, keep a close eye on them and see a vet during the week. I know vet bills can be expensive.

Thanks for the help guys! will see what i can get and then take it from there! :)

Jannen, can you get a better shot of the wound itself. My good friend and neighbor is one of the best Vets on LI. He requested a better photo of the wound, if possible. If you can get this I should have an answer for you tommorrow (Sunday).

Eric

He sure is Jackass!

eric, I can't get these 2 as bright as I can - if I flash, they go crazy and I don't want to hurt him anymore than he is - It's not very sunny out today either - if you need even brighter, than I will try later - I don't want to pick him up with that cut.

I can't thank you enough for doing this, I tried to call a rehabilitator yesterday, but not there till Monday, figures!

Not being able to see upclose like I can, I can tell you that it's very raw looking, but in some areas getting darker - there was a piece of the bedding stuck to one side, very small, and I was scared to touch it, but when I got up, it was gone, and it looks like it might have been bit off, not sure!

Can you also let him know, being I am sure a vet will want to know, the diet.

I have read up on these guys (cottontails) as I believe that's what they are:
No iceburg lettuce - Kale, Romaine, spinach

Rabbit pellets from pet store and the mix that has corn, apples, pellets and alfalfa.

Another thing, I was using the natural pine shavings as the bedding/litter - you know it's for all animals, but I am wondering now if not good for the rabbits even though it says yes.

They have also been confined to a very large tank - this was being they were so small, they fit in the palm of my hand - that I never built anything bigger, like a pen outside, one being I believe the cottontail is illegal to keep, even though I would have - and 2 I was going to get advice from rehabilitator and needed my Brother to make something for them if kept.

There's the rundown - thanks again! if brighter needed, let me know.

Jannen, Wow I just got some education on Rabbits. Ok, here we go:

Number one Pine & Cedar are NOT good for the rabbit, they can cause skin problems because of their high oil contents. So first change the type of bedding, also do not use it for their litter box and DO NOT use clumping cat littler, it will clog their digestive systems.

Now the good news is that most skin problems are not dangerous and do not require emergency care, the bad news is that they can be caused by many different things and many times diagnosis can only be confirmed through tests not able to be done at home. An example and a common problem is mites. There are a variety of mites that can affect a rabbit but they cannot be seen with the human eye, normally a vet will look at skin samples under a microscope.

Ok, that said, here are a few things to look for and some general comments:

A good idea would be to separate the rabbits. This is done for two reasons. First, it will rule out fighting and can change behavioral patterns like self mutilation. Second, if the condition is parasite related, the less concentration of animals the better.
Also make sure their cages are well ventilated, never keep them in something like an aquarium cage.

Next observe them CAREFULLY, rabbits that are sick many times will not show obvious signs of illness, this is because in the wild sick rabbits are prayed upon by predators. Make sure the rabbit is eating and drinking normaly. Check the stool for diarrhea.

If you can try and get a good look at the sores. Look for the following:

Pus or any discharge?

Dry scaly flaking, similar to dandruff?

Black or white flecks on skin or hair?

If you see dandruff stare closely for a while, do some of the flakes move?

Is he/she scratching, biting, or licking a lot?

Does he/she shake the head a lot?

Look for visible signs of fleas.

As gross as this may sound look for maggots on the skin especially on and around the rear end and hindquaters. There is a fly that will sometimes lay eggs and when the eggs hatch the larve will try and bury into the skin.

While trying to determine if it is parasites, it might be a good idea to keep kids from handling the rabbits, many of the posible parasites are not species specific and can be transfered to humans with improper handling. Though not dangerous they can be a pain to get rid of.

Also keep in mind that rabbits do molt. This can occur up to 4 times a year and at times become excessive.

Jannen, Im sorry about the rambling questions, he gave me quite a bit of information and had a lot of questions. I tried to condense the info/questions as much as possible. The photos just do no show enough detail and as I mentioned many times visual inspection is not enough for diagnosis. See if you can answer some of the questions and let me know.

Wow eric! I can't thank you enough for finding all this for me. I assumed after reading an article, that the bedding was wrong, as well as, being in a tank - for the time that they were little, it served the purpose. I have to ask evilarnold to PLEASE help with a pen.

NOw, for the questions, this is the best I can say:

Pus or any discharge?
There was none at first - but when the pine stuck to an area, this morning, I noticed an area of wet, but no where else.

Dry scaly flaking, similar to dandruff?

None at all - looked raw yesterday, dryer look today, no flakes.

Black or white flecks on skin or hair?

This I will check out when I get home - I didn't want to pick it up, for fear of hurting it.

If you see dandruff stare closely for a while, do some of the flakes move?

Will check this too!

Is he/she scratching, biting, or licking a lot?

This is tough, when I come into room, they run to corner and don't move - as far as i can tell, a little scratching but no biting.

Does he/she shake the head a lot?

I don't see any shake of head

Look for visible signs of fleas.

This i will check closer, I don't know if being in wild, had they had them then, and I do have a dog too!

This happened once before with the fur, but nothing at all like this.

Will let you know later what I find. Thank you again for your help.

Forum List

Back