Anyone Willing to Help Our Troops Coming Out?

IndependntLogic

Jul 14, 2011
I'm volunteering at the local base, teaching troops coming out, how to write resumes, interview etc...(I own an executive recruiting firm so this is my area of expertise). I've put together a program they love but all of my experience has been working in or owning private sector businesses. So during the last class, I was explaining the radical differences in priorities and thinking between the military and the private sector (e.g. profits are simply never a consideration in the military), when one of the sergeants asked about the difference between military thinking a public sector civilian thinking. I was able to offer some insights but could really use some feedback from people who have worked there for a substantial period of time.
If you would be wliing to help in this regard, please IM or otherwise let me know. Thanks. FS

I don't think the differences in military, public, private, profit, or non-profit is the biggest problem facing post 9/11 veterans today. One would think that integrity, strong work ethic, and loyalty would be enough but it is not. A candidate with a well written resume that expresses skills, experiences, accomplishments, and education and translated into civilian terms as much as possible one would think, would be enough. After all, mission, job tasks, and organizational policy must be learned regardless of background.

There is a deeper reason that the unemployment rate among veterans is over 12 percent. Employers are discriminating against them all the while claiming to be pro-military. This discrimination is of course hard to prove but must be dealt with. Networking, luck, education, certifications, and a willingness to get a foot in the door at a lower level works for some.

I don't think the differences in military, public, private, profit, or non-profit is the biggest problem facing post 9/11 veterans today. One would think that integrity, strong work ethic, and loyalty would be enough but it is not. A candidate with a well written resume that expresses skills, experiences, accomplishments, and education and translated into civilian terms as much as possible one would think, would be enough. After all, mission, job tasks, and organizational policy must be learned regardless of background.

There is a deeper reason that the unemployment rate among veterans is over 12 percent. Employers are discriminating against them all the while claiming to be pro-military. This discrimination is of course hard to prove but must be dealt with. Networking, luck, education, certifications, and a willingness to get a foot in the door at a lower level works for some.

That's really not the case - at least not for the most part. You should see the "Military to Civilian Transition Guide". What a piece of crap.
Additionally, most of them don't know how to translate what they've done in the military, into terms that will appeal to civilian employers. You wouldn't believe how many resumes I've already reviewed that went "8/2010 - 8/2102 1st Sgt. ComWesDefWing. Maintianed thirty A-11's and twenty F-4's including AG-313 and 6B2's..."
When it came to intertviewing, it got worse.
The stuff I'm teaching them is way advanced kung fu. I own an executive recruiting firm and prepare people for jobs that at the low-end, pay $150K+.

That's really not the case - at least not for the most part. You should see the "Military to Civilian Transition Guide". What a piece of crap.
Additionally, most of them don't know how to translate what they've done in the military, into terms that will appeal to civilian employers. You wouldn't believe how many resumes I've already reviewed that went "8/2010 - 8/2102 1st Sgt. ComWesDefWing. Maintianed thirty A-11's and twenty F-4's including AG-313 and 6B2's..."When it came to intertviewing, it got worse.
The stuff I'm teaching them is way advanced kung fu. I own an executive recruiting firm and prepare people for jobs that at the low-end, pay $150K+.

yes, it is the case. Veteran discrimination is rampant. There are numerous studies and references to review if you really want to help veterans. As I wrote, the resume needs to be translated into civilian terms as much as possible. Some jobs just do not translate and needs to be explained. You are putting people into 6 figure jobs but your example is an aircraft mechanic. In a down economy which has thumped the aviation industry, mechs are a dime a dozen. Your commission on a 150K job placement is a nice one and I have no problem with that. If you really want to help those that need it, please find out their actual needs.

I'll build a nice prison to help them IN for ignoring the constitution, following illegal orders from "superior" meatheads and invading nations that did nothing to the USA.
Imagine/ "Give us Douger or we'll bomb you back to the stone age".
Fuck'em. Idiots

Additionally, most of them don't know how to translate what they've done in the military, into terms that will appeal to civilian employers. You wouldn't believe how many resumes I've already reviewed that went "8/2010 - 8/2102 1st Sgt. ComWesDefWing. Maintianed thirty A-11's and twenty F-4's including AG-313 and 6B2's..."When it came to intertviewing, it got worse.

yes, it is the case. Veteran discrimination is rampant. There are numerous studies and references to review if you really want to help veterans. As I wrote, the resume needs to be translated into civilian terms as much as possible. Some jobs just do not translate and needs to be explained. You are putting people into 6 figure jobs but your example is an aircraft mechanic. In a down economy which has thumped the aviation industry, mechs are a dime a dozen. Your commission on a 150K job placement is a nice one and I have no problem with that. If you really want to help those that need it, please find out their actual needs.

Like I said, this wasn't intended as another debate thread. So fine. Of the troops I have personally worked with, most of them don't find what you describe to be the case. Neither do the people on the Transition Assistance Team. As a matter of fact, local companies are going out of their way, to reach out to them and say "Hey, we're anxious to hire vets." Additionally, Obama put a HUGE financial incentive out there to hire vets and a LOT of companies have been contacting the base in that regard.
And tell you what, when you're driving a 120 mi. round trip to give your time to others and also when you have an actual clue of what I've been doing, THEN you can tell me to "find their actual needs". In the meantime, you criticizing what you're clueless about, is worthless. Of course, it's always easy to do from the armchair though, isn't it?
Look Navy, I acknowledge that there are some stereotypes the vets have to overcome. Oftentimes, they're spot on. Lack of creativity, poor managers etc... We deal with those stereotypes and how to overcome them in my program.
But these people don't view themselves as victims, focusing on the negative or victim-mentality isn't helpful and the people I'm working with are tougher than that.
As far as it being discrimination, that's not true in this case. I'm sure it happens but it's rare here. Big military town.
The HR people who have gotten back to the TAP team have given them comments like "Look, I wanted to hire this guy but he sat at attention the whole time, never smiled once and when I asked him what made him unique, he blanked." That was from a company that proactively contacted the base and interviewed a computer programmer. That's not discrimination.
This program has already produced success. It may end up the new template for the military. But I've never been one of those guys who feel good is good enough.
If you want to start a thread about discrimination against vets, feel free.
Not what's needed here.
So if you have anything even more motivating and constructive than "All is doom and gloom, companines all hate vets and there is no hope!", that would be great. I thought the OP was pretty simple. I need to talk with people who have worked in the civilian public sector for a substantial period of time. For reasons, you don't even understand - unless you're also a busines psychologist & profiler - which is what I used to teach at the University of San Diego.
So if you can't offer anything relevant or helpful then as always, I'll thank you for your service and let's leave it at that.

@indylogic

I didn't mean to highjack your thread or get you all butt-hurt. Good luck in placing your candidates in those six figure jobs.

OP is networking, ole navy is telling him to review studies to "actually help veterans"
i know who acts butt hurt in this scenario, in a coming out thread, no less.

@indylogic

I didn't mean to highjack your thread or get you all butt-hurt. Good luck in placing your candidates in those six figure jobs.

Butt-hurt? Okay be a dick then. Whatever.

My business does very well - I'm in a recession-proof niche. My intent here was simply to see if anyone had an interest in helping me, help those who have given so much.

OP is networking, ole navy is telling him to review studies to "actually help veterans"

Not sure what you mean but if you think I'm looking to network here, you're mistaken. No one on this board would even qualify for the positions I'm contracted to complete. So it's not like there is anyone here I would personally benefit from knowing. Next bad guess?

@indylogic

My business does very well - I'm in a recession-proof niche. My intent here was simply to see if anyone had an interest in helping me, help those who have given so much.

Not sure what you mean but if you think I'm looking to network here, you're mistaken. No one on this board would even qualify for the positions I'm contracted to complete. So it's not like there is anyone here I would personally benefit from knowing. Next bad guess?

"If you would be wliing to help in this regard, please IM or otherwise let me know. Thanks. FS"

^that's what i interpreted as networking.

@indylogic

This is exactly why I responded the way I did. I wasn't being a dick. How the hell do you know who the fuck is qualified for anything? You want to fill 6 figure jobs with people who are plane mechanics and don't know how to smile. The words I wrote will actually help those people. The ones qualified for 100K dollar jobs do not need your help. You are trolling for a commission.

You ask for our help and then state that none of us are qualified. I personally am finishing up a second master's and hope to start a doctorate next year. I have also been in the employment/recruiting business and probably spend more time with "coming out" veterans and wounded warriors than anyone here. This, as many of your posts, come off as pompous and self-serving; and now insulting.

@indylogic

This is exactly why I responded the way I did. I wasn't being a dick. How the hell do you know who the fuck is qualified for anything? You want to fill 6 figure jobs with people who are plane mechanics and don't know how to smile. The words I wrote will actually help those people. The ones qualified for 100K dollar jobs do not need your help. You are trolling for a commission.

You ask for our help and then state that none of us are qualified. I personally am finishing up a second master's and hope to start a doctorate next year. I have also been in the employment/recruiting business and probably spend more time with "coming out" veterans and wounded warriors than anyone here. This, as many of your posts, come off as pompous and self-serving; and now insulting.

How do I know if you're qualified for the positions we're contracted to fill? I know this because you don't have a law degree from Harvard / Yale etc... AND ALSO a BS in Electrical Engineering or a PhD in Life sciences. I work with patent attorneys.
You don't have those qualifications? I knew that, thus my statement that no one here would qualify for our contracts. The odds that ANYONE here would qualify for the positions we work on are almost nil. So you can make your accusations of trolling all you want but there are good people out there with good intentions.
I've also run national divisions of employment agencies that placed people doing everything from the $10 / hour secretary to the $1M / year CEO.
I've lectured at the University of San Diego on precisely what I'm teaching the troops. The base head of personnel stated "This is the best program on the subject in over twenty years."
But go ahead and make judgments without having the facts. That's pretty common here.
Believe or not, there are people who have served and want to help their fellow servicemen. Your posts make it obvious, you're focused on why they can't succeed, why they're victims, why things are negative.
Have you considered taking a more positive approach and outlook?

So you've started out assuming the worst abotu people, slinging petty insults and making judgments without facts. I guess that's just who you are and it's likely that after realizing just how wrong you are, you'll continue with more of the same.

Veteran discrimination is rampant, especially if they find out you served on deployment. Employers are worried about issues in the work place and PTSD, they read too many stories about Veterans losing it when they return home. One of my co workers at my old job admitted to me she told my supervisor to make sure I don't go all crazy and shoot up the place if they hire me.

Veteran discrimination is rampant, especially if they find out you served on deployment. Employers are worried about issues in the work place and PTSD, they read too many stories about Veterans losing it when they return home. One of my co workers at my old job admitted to me she told my supervisor to make sure I don't go all crazy and shoot up the place if they hire me.

yep, that's what I was trying to tell ol' Indy.

How do I know if you're qualified for the positions we're contracted to fill? I know this because you don't have a law degree from Harvard / Yale etc... AND ALSO a BS in Electrical Engineering or a PhD in Life sciences. I work with patent attorneys.
You don't have those qualifications? I knew that, thus my statement that no one here would qualify for our contracts. The odds that ANYONE here would qualify for the positions we work on are almost nil. So you can make your accusations of trolling all you want but there are good people out there with good intentions.
I've also run national divisions of employment agencies that placed people doing everything from the $10 / hour secretary to the $1M / year CEO.
I've lectured at the University of San Diego on precisely what I'm teaching the troops. The base head of personnel stated "This is the best program on the subject in over twenty years."
But go ahead and make judgments without having the facts. That's pretty common here.
Believe or not, there are people who have served and want to help their fellow servicemen. Your posts make it obvious, you're focused on why they can't succeed, why they're victims, why things are negative.
Have you considered taking a more positive approach and outlook?

So you've started out assuming the worst abotu people, slinging petty insults and making judgments without facts. I guess that's just who you are and it's likely that after realizing just how wrong you are, you'll continue with more of the same.

Like I wrote a couple of days ago, I did not intend to hijack your thread. When I added a couple of facts though, you had to dispute me and ramble on about how great you are.

I actually have a great outlook and make over 6 figures as well. Further, believe it or not, I appreciate your effort and thank you for the time you are giving to help veterans.

I'll build a nice prison to help them IN for ignoring the constitution, following illegal orders from "superior" meatheads and invading nations that did nothing to the USA.
Imagine/ "Give us Douger or we'll bomb you back to the stone age".
Fuck'em. Idiots

Must be one of your "Shovel-ready Jobs."

Well, get to work.

Additionally, most of them don't know how to translate what they've done in the military, into terms that will appeal to civilian employers. You wouldn't believe how many resumes I've already reviewed that went "8/2010 - 8/2102 1st Sgt. ComWesDefWing. Maintianed thirty A-11's and twenty F-4's including AG-313 and 6B2's..."
When it came to intertviewing, it got worse.

Translation: Sgt. Willy Wonka 103 division bathroom cleaners 2/2006-2/2012.
Experience: Shining boots and shooting my pow-pow.
Security clearance : DFNU ( dead from neck up)

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back