Anyone who supported Rand Paul...

I think our Social Programs should be more geared to enabling, repairing the breach. Something that works to an end. The direction is what's wrong.

I agree that the direction is wrong, but also believe that lack of proper oversight has led to tremendous waste within many of these programs.

Which program(s) has/have no oversight?

Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, unemployment compensation, food stamps, and agricultural price support programs are fraught with waste and deceit because they lack PROPER oversight. I never said they had NO oversight.

I agree that the direction is wrong, but also believe that lack of proper oversight has led to tremendous waste within many of these programs.

Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, unemployment compensation, food stamps, and agricultural price support programs are fraught with waste and deceit because they lack PROPER oversight. I never said they had NO oversight.

That's pretty much all of them. I'd say its endemic to all government spending, and the only way to get rid of it is to get rid of the spending.

That's pretty much all of them. I'd say its endemic to all government spending, and the only way to get rid of it is to get rid of the spending.

This is probably where you and I differ. I truly believe some of these programs have merit for some people in some situations. Completely gutting them from our government is not the way to fix them, in my humble opinion.

This is probably where you and I differ. I truly believe some of these programs have merit for some people in some situations. Completely gutting them from our government is not the way to fix them, in my humble opinion.

Which programs?

Which programs?

Unemployment benefits, social security and food stamps, mainly.

Unemployment benefits as a stop gap measure only.
Social security because most Americans pay into the damn system already.
Food stamps because if used properly, it benefits the children who in my opinion cannot be blamed for the situations their parents got them into.

I will be interested in seeing if he sticks to his guns about term limits.

That is precisely the reason I would expect him to challenge the GOP rather than spend his term paying back McConnell for all his help. If he doesn't care about serving another term, he should have no problem rocking the establishment boat.

I'm going to be the first one in here ripping this guy apart if he doesn't come through.

That is precisely the reason I would expect him to challenge the GOP rather than spend his term paying back McConnell for all his help. If he doesn't care about serving another term, he should have no problem rocking the establishment boat.

I'm going to be the first one in here ripping this guy apart if he doesn't come through.

Didn't the RSCC back his opponent in the primary?

he owes McConnell nothing.

Too bad he can't quote Jefferson correctly. :lol:

Seriously though, I doubt even Rand Paul will pay much respect to his father's movement on many issues considering the positions that Rand took when he was campaigning. Now if he goes against those positions he campaigned on, he'd be a liar.

So either way, I don't think Rand Paul is going to be the type of senator that a lot of people wanted and or expected.

Didn't the RSCC back his opponent in the primary?

he owes McConnell nothing.

Yes, in the PRIMARY.

During the general, McConnell hooked Rand up.

In politics, that means someone is owed something.

Don't get it twisted though, I'm with you. He doesn't owe him anything. Or at least, he doesn't HAVE to owe him something.

But he also doesn't have to get the establishment's support in a potential reelection bid, either.

I've known Rand for years now. Since about 2006, when only the most hardcore Ron Paul supporters knew who he was. He changed a bit during the general, but I'm hoping that was his way of using the establishment for all it was worth rather than cozying up with it.

I'm curious to see what he proposes when swore in, for his fans let us know when something more than rhetorical flourish comes out and has feet.

I've never been a fan of libertarian thinking, it reminds me of the 'haves' justifying the need to have more. All this talk of freedom seems empty.

"Libertarians tend to speak in slogans - "we want freedom", "we are against bureaucracy" - and not in political programmes. Even when they give a direct definition of libertarianism, it is not necessarily true." Why is libertarianism wrong?

"The most fundamental problem with libertarianism is very simple: freedom, though a good thing, is simply not the only good thing in life. Simple physical security, which even a prisoner can possess, is not freedom, but one cannot live without it. Prosperity is connected to freedom, in that it makes us free to consume, but it is not the same thing, in that one can be rich but as unfree as a Victorian tycoon’s wife. A family is in fact one of the least free things imaginable, as the emotional satisfactions of it derive from relations that we are either born into without choice or, once they are chosen, entail obligations that we cannot walk away from with ease or justice. But security, prosperity, and family are in fact the bulk of happiness for most real people and the principal issues that concern governments." The American Conservative -- Marxism of the Right

Forum List

Back