Anyone watch Shep on Fox today ..

FOX is irresponsible and incompetent. They had plenty of time to cut away, especially while Shep said "Get off it!" about 20 times straight.

Umm Shep didn't start yelling until after they had cut away.

Yes. Unless you've been in a TV newsroom, and I have, it's hard to picture the dynamics. The reporter, in this case Shep, when he is commenting about a particular live event, is commenting on the picture as it unfolds and both he and the picture are delayed in the broadcast. The on air person does not control what gets bleeped, but the guy or gal on the board is well trained to bleep the unallowed word or cut away in case of a serious wardrobe malfunction or such as that. The reporter will at times be distracted from the screen to review incoming information on paper or on the teleprompter that he can report. There were no wardrobe concerns and no dialogue to be worried about, however, this had been going on for some time, and apparently neither were watching the action exactly when the unexpected suicide occurred, and with only a 5 second delay, the board guy apparently saw it and cut away just as Shep saw it and reacted, but it was just a second or two late to keep it from being aired. I know Shep wasn't watching at the precise time the sucide happened because there was nothing in his commentary about the gun being raised to the guy's temple and he would have certainly at that point have told the board to get off then. As it was, the gun was raised and the guy fell and then we see Shep saying several times, "Get off. . . ."

Last edited:
FOX is irresponsible and incompetent. They had plenty of time to cut away, especially while Shep said "Get off it!" about 20 times straight.

Shep was watching as it was happening it was supposed to be on delay when we heard him screaming go away it was 5 seconds later but the person who was doing the delay did not pull away fast enough. I think he probably lost his job that day ( the delay person not Shep)

Shep was watching as it was happening it was supposed to be on delay when we heard him screaming go away it was 5 seconds later but the person who was doing the delay did not pull away fast enough. I think he probably lost his job that day ( the delay person not Shep)

Again I don't think the offense was sufficient to fire the guy. Under the circumstances, with no dialogue etc. to worry about, they really couldn't anticipate what happened. It was unfortunate that the board guy was distracted at that precise moment, or even if he was so shocked he didn't think todelay, it was not something illegal to show; just something that was very much against station policy to show. I imagine he, and everybody else, was sternly reminded of the seriousness of the situation. I would hate to think he got fired over that unless it was a repeat offense.

Correct. There is at least a 5 second delay. 5 seconds is a long time for someone to not react, especially when your anchorman is pitching an on-air fit.

Correct. There is at least a 5 second delay. 5 seconds is a long time for someone to not react, especially when your anchorman is pitching an on-air fit.

Because of the sequence as it happened, I don't think Shep saw it as it was happening either, or he would have reacted more quickly. As previously posted, the anchor is often distracted from what is on the screen to receive incoming information handed to him or coming up on the teleprompter. His control panel guy actually reacted more quickly than Shep did but he too must have been distracted to let those five seconds tick by. The only thing that made that defensible is the fact that nothing was happening that would normally need to be bleeped. The suicde itself was totally unforeseen or expected by anybody and I was watching right up until it happened. There was zero indication that was his intention.

Attachments

• $pain.jpg
    $pain.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 72
here is the video. Watch at your own risk. I mean you cant really see anything but you know what is going down [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5nePIaGDQc&feature=related&bpctr=1349012152]MAN SHOOTS HIMSELF ON LIVE NEWS TV!! - YouTube[/ame]

I watched Anderson the other day. It's too soon to sit down and what another gay guy.

What happened to your love for the gays, now you insult them bcause its fox. You and Bodey are the same.

As far out in the desert as he was, they should have withdrawn completely, let the sun and the snakes have him. He would have lasted a couple of hours.

As far out in the desert as he was, they should have withdrawn completely, let the sun and the snakes have him. He would have lasted a couple of hours.

Well there sure wasn't anybody around him. But people are people and I'm no different. I'll drive out to look at the storm damage or flood or train wreck, and am guilty of really looking over the car wreck when we drive by. I take no pleasure in people being injured or killed or grieved and won't watch if I know somebody or some critter is going to get hurt. But the bizarre, unusual, dramatic, etc., especially as it is unfolding, has always been and will always be news. And a very high speed auto chase is interesting to most of us. I doubt very many people watching looked away or walked away for long.

Fox might have lost a chunk of audience when at one point Shep cut away from the car chase and went back to reporting news and I was immediately frustrated. Who wanted to hear more politics and middle east chaos when we could be watching the car chase. And hubby walked away at that point. I had my computer at the couch and so was there when they went back to the chase, watched as he left the interstate and headed down a dirt road, then on a rural two lane paved road, turned off that into the desert, left the car, ran drunkenly for about a hundred feet or so, gun in hand, and then, with no warning whatsoever, put the gun to his head and fell. At that point I thought OMG, he just shot himself, though again it was not graphic.

New Topics

Forum List

Back