Anyone Surprised At Bias?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Keep this in mind when sending your child off to the university. I've done so, 3 times, guess where their 'choice' lies? My comfort, they'll get jobs and remember what they were raised with.

collegedonationsll0.jpg

via: http://engram-backtalk.blogspot.com/2007/08/revealing-campaign-contributions-from.html

Of course not. There really is no excuse for the dems to not have a lot more voters when high school graduates get fed like lambs to the slaughter to our liberal academic institutions.

Do they mean UC Berkeley or the entire UC system? The percentages do not surprise me. However, the overall amounts are not very high considering the total amounts raised by all candidates.

There is an alternate explanation besides bias. Of course its one you refuse to even consider. But then again you aren't exactly unbiased yourself.

right. That would be?

There is an alternate explanation besides bias. Of course its one you refuse to even consider. But then again you aren't exactly unbiased yourself.

favor toward one thing as oppossed to another is called bias. The giveing of those institutions is biased towards dems. There's no way around it.

Why don't you throw out your 'alternative explanation' just for kicks.

right. That would be?

Educated people at better universities tend to vote Democrat.

By the way...the stats are a bit misleading as well, considering that if you look at the general population about 66% of all donations are to Democratic candidates for the '08 election. Next you'll be accusing the general populace of being biasd towards Democrats.

favor toward one thing as oppossed to another is called bias. The giveing of those institutions is biased towards dems. There's no way around it.

Its obvious she was saying there was an instituional bias, not just a bias in giving money. Your comment confirmed that.

Domino, I suspect its just UC Berkeley or UCLA. I suspect the entire UC system has given more than that.

Educated people at better universities tend to vote Democrat.

Gee, How did I know you were gonna say that. It couldn't also be because someone decided they only wanted to work 3/4 of the year and get paid to impart whatever they think to a bunch of impressionable kids could it. Being a teacher does not automatically translate into intelligence.

Its obvious she was saying there was an instituional bias, not just a bias in giving money. Your comment confirmed that.

Who's the naive one now? You honestly don't beleive that bias tranlsates over into what gets taught in the classroom?

My comfort, they'll get jobs and remember what they were raised with.

Now that we are starting a college fund for our seven-month-old baby girl, I'm thinking about this. I'm not NOT going to send her to college -- that's too outside. But what am I going to tell her? I think to question everything, always. Even what the big bad professor tells you.

Just food for thought. I don't mean to trash either side with it.

Maybe since all of these top universities are also top science research institutions (and they're not researching where Noah's Ark landed), that this ties into the evolution vs intelligent design debate and that's why faculties are overwhelmingly liberal.

Gee, How did I know you were gonna say that. It couldn't also be because someone decided they only wanted to work 3/4 of the year and get paid to impart whatever they think to a bunch of impressionable kids could it. Being a teacher does not automatically translate into intelligence.

Those who cant do teach... Most of my college professors were social rejects..

I'd wager quite a bit that the professors at Harvard, Columbia, Stanford, Georgetown are just a wee bit smarter and well informed than your average American citizen.

Who's the naive one now? You honestly don't beleive that bias tranlsates over into what gets taught in the classroom?

I suspect it often does not get translated into what gets taught in the classroom. Sometimes it does, but often among the best universities it doesn't.

posted by Alucard
Those who cant do teach... Most of my college professors were social rejects..

And exactly what college did you attend Alucard? Somehow I doubt it was any of the top institutions that are on that list. Actually I guarantee it.

All this statistic tells me is that highly educated people vote Democratic.

It tells me nothing about liberal bias in the class. I don't recall hardly ever hearing professors talk about politics in the classroom. They were too busy teaching calculus, science, engineering and economics to have time to brainwash kids.

I've noticed that the people who most often whine about liberal brainwashing in college, are from people who never went to college. I'd say 99.99% of my time in college classrooms didn't even involve any discussion of politics.

All this statistic tells me is that highly educated people vote Democratic.

It tells me nothing about liberal bias in the class. I don't recall hardly ever hearing professors talk about politics in the classroom. They were too busy teaching calculus, science, engineering and economics to have time to brainwash kids.

I've noticed that the people who most often whine about liberal brainwashing in college, are from people who never went to college. I'd say 99.99% of my time in college classrooms didn't even involve any discussion of politics.

Then you went to very different universities than myself or my children:

University of Illinois
University of Chicago
Western Illinois University
Northern Illinois University
Elmhurst College
Northwestern University

Then you went to very different universities than myself or my children:

University of Illinois
University of Chicago
Western Illinois University
Northern Illinois University
Elmhurst College
Northwestern University

Ok, well, I can call BS on one point.

I am a graduate of Elmhurst College. The idea that most EC professors are liberals and try to stand on a soapbox regarding liberal politics is RIDICULOUS. I can think of one or two that fit your stereotype, but overall, your point is absolutely not valid.

Ok, well, I can call BS on one point.

I am a graduate of Elmhurst College. The idea that most EC professors are liberals and try to stand on a soapbox regarding liberal politics is RIDICULOUS. I can think of one or two that fit your stereotype, but overall, your point is absolutely not valid.

LOL! Did you have Burdick? Lordy, I can't remember the Wiccan ancient history teacher's name, very Goth and working part-time there and U of Chicago. I had her for Classic Greek and Ancient Rome. Butler seemed independent, at least not far of center. I'm afraid I never got out of history, as that and education courses are all I took.

The education teachers, no surprise were way left, but they tended not to argue with those with the secondary majors too much, especially when they found political science and history together.

I haven't a clue to your major there.

In fairness, U of I and U of C tended to have at least some departments that were more conservative or liberal. Sociology was very left, while political science tended more too the right, both schools.

LOL! Did you have Burdick? Lordy, I can't remember the Wiccan ancient history teacher's name, very Goth and working part-time there and U of Chicago. I had her for Classic Greek and Ancient Rome. Butler seemed independent, at least not far of center. I'm afraid I never got out of history, as that and education courses are all I took.

The education teachers, no surprise were way left, but they tended not to argue with those with the secondary majors too much, especially when they found political science and history together.

I haven't a clue to your major there.

In fairness, U of I and U of C tended to have at least some departments that were more conservative or liberal. Sociology was very left, while political science tended more too the right, both schools.

I wasn't a history student, so I never had Burdick, but I did take a class with Butler...he was too geeky and softspoken to try to preach on politics :)

I did, however, have David Lindberg...that guy was a VERY liberal blowhard who fit the definition of liberal-who-wants-to-indoctrinate-students VERY well, lol.

The funny thing is that if you look at the faculty at EC, the philosophy department and the economics department are both VERY Conservative.

((And just for the record, I was a Poli Sci / Economics double major))

Forum List

Back