Anyone Still wondering why the Big 3 is Faltering?

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
Here are the top 12 rated more Green (aka most fuel efficient) cars on the market which the US consumer is demanding. Ford and Chrysler do not even make the list. GM finally falls in at 8 and 10! 2 out of 12 are the big 3! Honda makes the list 3 times including #1 and 3, Toyota makes the list 3 times including #2 & 5. Nissan even beats the big 3. I don't know, maybe the big 3 problem is they are producing cars that we don't want to buy! I mean Toyota, Nissan and Honda make their cars in the US, so no BS on the US manufacturing disadvantage!
America's Greenest Cars of 2009 - MSN Autos

Rank Vehicle ACEEE Green Score
1. Honda Civic GX 57
2. Toyota Prius 53
3. Honda Civic Hybrid 51
4. Smart fortwo 49
5. Toyota Yaris 46
6. Nissan Altima Hybrid 46
7. MINI Cooper/Clubman 45
8. Chevrolet Cobalt XFT/Pontiac G5 XFE 45
9. Honda Fit 45
10. Chevrolet Aveo/Aveo 5 44
11. Toyota Camry Hybrid 44
12. Kia Rio 44

We have been making poor quality products across the board for a long time. Giving them more money (any industry we have some involvement in manufacturing) won't improve the products, and therefore won't help them stay afloat.

We have been making poor quality products across the board for a long time. Giving them more money (any industry we have some involvement in manufacturing) won't improve the products, and therefore won't help them stay afloat.

Its starting to drive me crazy! One thing you miss is the Japanese give their car dealerships bailout type money. Yet they conform their cars to what people want. They have been flexible and innovative!

What I believe honestly is they auto industry's board got a kick back from the oil industry to keep producing gas guzzlers! I mean it was the oil industry that killed the electric car! The Big 3 thought Americans would always mindless buy American and it backfired!

The Big Three should be allowed to fail. They have refused to make cars that Americans will buy. However, they seem to do pretty well in overseas markets. Perhaps they should focus on selling products overseas and wind down their US operations. Some 20 years ago, I got my first job and was excited to buy my first new car. It was a Ford Tempo. The problems started the first week after I drove it way from the dealership. Within a year I sold it back to the dealer and took a huge loss. I bought a Honda Civic. Drove it 100k miles and never had to do anything other than routine maintenance. I bought two more cars since the Civic. Both Honda CRVs. Never even considered buying a Big Three car!

Sad, isn't it?

What is wrong with our engineers, anyway?

Or is the problem upper managment?

Do you suppose that if the engineering department came up with a viable vehicle that got great milage upper management would say no?

These are sincere questions, BTW.

I'm finding it hard to understand why Detroit is missing the boat.

The Big Three should be allowed to fail. They have refused to make cars that Americans will buy. However, they seem to do pretty well in overseas markets. Perhaps they should focus on selling products overseas and wind down their US operations. Some 20 years ago, I got my first job and was excited to buy my first new car. It was a Ford Tempo. The problems started the first week after I drove it way from the dealership. Within a year I sold it back to the dealer and took a huge loss. I bought a Honda Civic. Drove it 100k miles and never had to do anything other than routine maintenance. I bought two more cars since the Civic. Both Honda CRVs. Never even considered buying a Big Three car!

Not sure you realize the impact of the Big 3 going down, along with the Banks going down, along with Lehman Brothers, AIG and many many other retailers like Circuit City, Marvins etc. Maybe if the banks and AIG weren't going down in flames and retail market remained stable, then maybe let the big 3 fend for itself, but letting them go to the pooper would be catastrophic! I bet you would be one of the same people bitching and moaning if that happened also!

Forum List

Back