Anyone see Santorum on Fox News Sunday?

JoeB continues to mumble and bumble. No one was talking about gays, they were talking about the con lib split in the party,. Morons like McCarthy to the far right and Rockefeller etc to the left of center.

Understand JoeB will lie for any and no reason, because that is what he does.

Impose? Im just asking questions here. I understand the difference between the culture of then and now. That wasn't my point. You stated it was basically better back then and I challenged you on it.

Bad gays? Those are not bad gays, just a product of the times.

A lot of women prefer to be in the kitchen? Yeah......no

Sigh no prayer conflicts with the first,and therefore shouldn't be in public schools. We have private,send them there if you like, you do have a choice now.

I didn't say it was "better". I pointed out it was different. I pointed out that a feminist or a gay rights activist probably would have been strung up as a communist in 1956. So there was no "culture war".

As for if it was better or not, I think it depends on asking "for who". Some people truly did have it better back then. If you were a professional tradesman like my dad, with a good paying union job, things were pretty darned good. If you were a black person in the south, things kind of sucked. You certainly did not have the kind of wealth disparity that you have today, which I believe is an important talking point on the left.

My own opinion is that really, how is it that it took nearly 200 years to figure out that the first amendment banned prayer in schools. Shouldn't that determination been made, oh, like the year after the Constitution was ratified?

JoeB continues to mumble and bumble. No one was talking about gays, they were talking about the con lib split in the party,. Morons like McCarthy to the far right and Rockefeller etc to the left of center.

Understand JoeB will lie for any and no reason, because that is what he does.

Guy, you didn't answer my question... Where was the big conflict ANYWHERE in America over gay rights in 1956?

There wasn't one. HOmosexuality was still listed as a mental disorder back then.

There was an economic divide, between the New Deal Republicans and the old school who wanted to reverse it... but not really even that.

The fact you had to go all the way back to Eisenhower to find a Republican who wasn't an outright conservative and could still win just shows how much you have to move the goalposts to make your point.

You muddle head, that is called a red herring, doesn't have a thing to do with our discussion.

I know you are almost eighty, and your mind is beginning to slip.

You muddle head, that is called a red herring, doesn't have a thing to do with our discussion.

I know you are almost eighty, and your mind is beginning to slip.

It kind of has EVERYTHING to do with our discussion.

Guy, if people voted their economic interests and their economic interests alone, the Republicans would never, ever win an election. Because the 1% still really only has 1% of the vote. They'd maybe get 20% of the vote from the 1% and those who have delusions of being part of the 1% one day, but everyone else would vote for the safety net and protections.

Which is why the Democrats won every election between 1932 and 1964, except for the two times that Ike won. And Ike essentially admitted that FDR was right on the economic issues.

As you say, Goldwater took a shelllacking in 1964, but it wasn't because of social issues. He didn't really talk about them.

Then the hippies came along, and abortion, race riots, feminism, drugs, and a lot of other shit hit the fan and lo and behold, those nice middle class folks like my parents who used to be kind of okay with Democrats suddenly weren't okay with them anymore when they started embracing this stuff. They also saw the left was perfectly willing to surrender in a war against a miserable third world country, which no doubt offended that generation that took out Hitler and Tojo.

Now, I admit, some of those changes advocated by the left, such as correcting the racial inequities, were probably necessary. But it was really the "social issues' you disdain that put the GOP in real contention. They won every election between 1968 and 1988, except for 1976, where the Democrats ran a conservative, Christian Jimmy Carter.

And the thing is, culturally, most Americans are conservative. If I had to throw out the economic conservatism or the cultural conservatism as a way forward for the GOP, I would almost definitely throw out the former, because it's a political loser.

Impose? Im just asking questions here. I understand the difference between the culture of then and now. That wasn't my point. You stated it was basically better back then and I challenged you on it.

Bad gays? Those are not bad gays, just a product of the times.

A lot of women prefer to be in the kitchen? Yeah......no

Sigh no prayer conflicts with the first,and therefore shouldn't be in public schools. We have private,send them there if you like, you do have a choice now.

I didn't say it was "better". I pointed out it was different. I pointed out that a feminist or a gay rights activist probably would have been strung up as a communist in 1956. So there was no "culture war".

As for if it was better or not, I think it depends on asking "for who". Some people truly did have it better back then. If you were a professional tradesman like my dad, with a good paying union job, things were pretty darned good. If you were a black person in the south, things kind of sucked. You certainly did not have the kind of wealth disparity that you have today, which I believe is an important talking point on the left.

My own opinion is that really, how is it that it took nearly 200 years to figure out that the first amendment banned prayer in schools. Shouldn't that determination been made, oh, like the year after the Constitution was ratified?

Yeah you really did say it was better or I wouldn't be here wasting my time.
sure some people had it better then and some have it now. So what.

Here in ohio there is a shortage of workers for this new oil developments. People are not being trained for it.

200 years? It didn't take that long and you would think it shouldn't have taken a civil war to figure out slavery. they should have ya know when it was ratified...

No, I really didn't say it was better. I said people in 1956 didn't care about the stuff you care about. I think a lot of them still don't care about it. I think that if the GOP ran a cultural conservative who was also for economic fairness, he'd roll over whatever hippies the Democrats put up. Probably make some real inroads with minorities, who are pretty conservative on the social issues. (Which is why the economic conservatives shit their pants at the notion of Santorum and four years ago with Huckabee.)

Now, me personally, I used to care about the social issues. I'm kind of indifferent to them now, because they don't really effect me one way or the other.

The hyper-partisan, far-left, bigoted hack asshole pollutes yet another thread.

Oh, I'm sorry. Are you disappointed that I don't "contribute" hateful bigotry and far-left nonsense the way you do? I know what you can do to feel better - go fuck yourself.

Wow man, seriously, go fuck your bigoted, radical left-wing self.

Forum List

Back