Anyone Remember Laissez Faire???

When will the right admitt that unfettered markets have failed to produce what they claim they would produce all though history?

That's rather like asking when compulsive liars will tell the begin telling the truth, isn't it?

Most people claiming the mantle of convervatism or Randianism, have to very selectively avoid the study of American history which unmasks the lies upon which their pernicious philosophies are based.

Please point out where this occurs. The Great Depression was prolonged by Roosevelt's interventionist policies. The recession of 1920 didn't become worse largely because of the laissez faire policies of Hoover. The expected depression of 1949-1950 likewise didnt happen because Congress refused to renew New Deal policies.
These are all facts. There is nothing selective about them.

I wrote a thesis in my Economic History class entitled The American Post-War Economy, 1945-1955. We did not not have a depression after the war because Congress refused to renew New Deal policies. That's irrelevant.

Go read the quotes of republicans when the 1993 bill was passed.

It was all doom and gloom , then reality came to pass and they lied to claim the results.

You mean how they balanced the budget in one of the biggest peacetime expansions in history by cutting military spending, leaving us vulnerable to foreign attacks?
Nah, that didn't happen.

Geez, talk about selective.

Dear idiot, The CBO gave the credit to the 1993 bra for the deficit reduction.

Here you are claiming the results for the republicans rigth on cue.

Tell us exactlhy which laws the republicans passed without any dem help that anyone respectable scored as the reason?

Go read the quotes of republicans when the 1993 bill was passed.

It was all doom and gloom , then reality came to pass and they lied to claim the results.

You mean how they balanced the budget in one of the biggest peacetime expansions in history by cutting military spending, leaving us vulnerable to foreign attacks?
Nah, that didn't happen.

Tell us exactlhy which laws the republicans passed without any dem help that anyone respectable scored as the reason?

You're talking about the CBO that scored Obamacare as deficit neutral. Until they got around to answering a congressman's question after it passed and suddenly it was going to cost $11B more?
Where have I claimed results for Republicans? The cuts in the military were Clinton's, leaving us vulnerable. The surge in the economy was from the internet and dot com phenomenon. I realize Al Gore invented the internet and all but surely you cant give credit to Clinton for it.

That's rather like asking when compulsive liars will tell the begin telling the truth, isn't it?

Most people claiming the mantle of convervatism or Randianism, have to very selectively avoid the study of American history which unmasks the lies upon which their pernicious philosophies are based.

Please point out where this occurs. The Great Depression was prolonged by Roosevelt's interventionist policies. The recession of 1920 didn't become worse largely because of the laissez faire policies of Hoover. The expected depression of 1949-1950 likewise didnt happen because Congress refused to renew New Deal policies.

I wrote a thesis in my Economic History class entitled The American Post-War Economy, 1945-1955. We did not not have a depression after the war because Congress refused to renew New Deal policies. That's irrelevant.
Well, almost all. We still have Social Security stealing from me. They shoulda killed that too.

Nah, that didn't happen.

You're talking about the CBO that scored Obamacare as deficit neutral. Until they got around to answering a congressman's question after it passed and suddenly it was going to cost $11B more?
Where have I claimed results for Republicans? The cuts in the military were Clinton's, leaving us vulnerable. The surge in the economy was from the internet and dot com phenomenon. I realize Al Gore invented the internet and all but surely you cant give credit to Clinton for it.

The scoring was after teh fact fool.

It was not a projection it was an investigation into the results of the 1993 bra which not one republican voted for.

It was responsible for the majority of the budget reduction of the 1990s.

The republicans ran a campaign on how the law would distroy the country and it worked.

The fact was that it gave us our most responsible budget in decades.

You republicans are STILL trying to claim the credit and you can just fuck off because you are no longer going to get away with rewriting history.

Well, almost all. We still have Social Security stealing from me. They shoulda killed that too.

Why dont you just run your entire party on killing SS and see how many elections it wins you?

Why don't you run your entire party on ending oil consumption?

Don't be stupid... oh wait. Forgot who I was talking to. My bad.

The scoring was after teh fact fool.

It was not a projection it was an investigation into the results of the 1993 bra which not one republican voted for.

It was responsible for the majority of the budget reduction of the 1990s.

The republicans ran a campaign on how the law would distroy the country and it worked.

The fact was that it gave us our most responsible budget in decades.

You republicans are STILL trying to claim the credit and you can just fuck off because you are no longer going to get away with rewriting history.

And the GOP was right. Here we are in the worst recession in memory.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Rabi you are a real robot huh?

Your dickweed cowboy did this and you will not be allowed to rewrite that hisotry either.

You will no longer be allowed to do this and the sooner you grap this the better your heart health will be.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Rabi you are a real robot huh?

Your dickweed cowboy did this and you will not be allowed to rewrite that hisotry either.

You will no longer be allowed to do this and the sooner you grap this the better your heart health will be.

Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago when the Democrats took control of Congress?
Well? Are you?

FUCK YES!

I had myself positioned so that I could survive this mess because I saw it coming years before it happend

Stubbornly dragging the threat back on topic maybe. . . .

I don't agree with some of you that laizzez-faire economics are dead or are no longer in evidence. That is true only where the government has interferred or meddled with the system.

One of the very best illustrations of how laizzez-faire economics works is here. It is a little long, but well worth the read. Note the question at the end. Would you want the federal government to run the super markets?

. . . .Our economic system consists of billions of different elements that include members of our population, businesses, schools, parcels of land and homes. A list of possible relationships defies imagination and even more so if we include international relationships. Miraculously, there is a tendency for all of these relationships to operate smoothly without congressional meddling. Let's think about it.

The average well-stocked supermarket carries over 60,000 different items. Because those items are so routinely available to us, the fact that it is a near miracle goes unnoticed and unappreciated. Take just one of those items -- canned tuna. Pretend that Congress appoints you tuna czar; that's not totally out of the picture in light of the fact that Congress has recently proposed a car czar for our auto industry. My question to you as tuna czar is: Can you identify and tell us how to organize all of the inputs necessary to get tuna out of the sea and into a supermarket? The most obvious inputs are fishermen, ships, nets, canning factories and trucks. But how do you organize the inputs necessary to build a ship, to provide the fuel, and what about the compass? The trucks need tires, seats and windshields. It is not a stretch of the imagination to suggest that millions of inputs and people cooperate with one another to get canned tuna to your supermarket.

But what is the driving force that explains how millions of people manage to cooperate to get 60,000 different items to your supermarket? Most of them don't give a hoot about you and me, some of them might hate Americans, but they serve us well and they do so voluntarily. The bottom line motivation for the cooperation is people are in it for themselves; they want more profits, wages, interest and rent, or to use today's silly talk -- people are greedy.

Adam Smith, the father of economics, captured the essence of this wonderful human cooperation when he said, "He (the businessman) generally, indeed, neither intends to promote the public interest, nor knows how much he is promoting it. ... He intends only his own security; and by directing that industry in such a manner as its produce may be of the greatest value, he intends only his own gain." Adam Smith continues, "He is in this, as in many other cases, led by an invisible hand to promote an end which was no part of his intention. ... By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than when he really intends to promote it." And later he adds, "It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest."

If you have doubts about Adam Smith's prediction, ask yourself which areas of our lives are we the most satisfied and those with most complaints. Would they be profit motivated arenas such supermarkets, video or clothing stores, or be nonprofit motivated government-operated arenas such as public schools, postal delivery or motor vehicle registration? By the way, how many of you would be in favor of Congress running our supermarkets?
Economic Miracle

Laissez Faire has never in history produced the claims its supporters tout.

The sooner the idea is dead the sooner we can move forward into reality

::: opens mouth to respond... closes it again once the realization that there is nobody there who is capable of understanding the response. :::

Nevermind.

::: opens mouth to respond... closes it again once the realization that there is nobody there who is capable of understanding the response. :::

Nevermind.

I'm guessing that such person could not explain the term or the economic concept in her own words. Most people who would make such a statement don't have a clue what the concept is. They know that some conservatives believe in it and therefore it is automatically a stupid, evil thing.

Forum List

Back