Anyone Remember Laissez Faire???

When will the right admitt that unfettered markets have failed to produce what they claim they would produce all though history?

That's rather like asking when compulsive liars will tell the begin telling the truth, isn't it?

Most people claiming the mantle of convervatism or Randianism, have to very selectively avoid the study of American history which unmasks the lies upon which their pernicious philosophies are based.

When will the right admitt that unfettered markets have failed to produce what they claim they would produce all though history?

That's rather like asking when compulsive liars will tell the begin telling the truth, isn't it?

Most people claiming the mantle of convervatism or Randianism, have to very selectively avoid the study of American history which unmasks the lies upon which their pernicious philosophies are based.

Please point out where this occurs. The Great Depression was prolonged by Roosevelt's interventionist policies. The recession of 1920 didn't become worse largely because of the laissez faire policies of Hoover. The expected depression of 1949-1950 likewise didnt happen because Congress refused to renew New Deal policies.
These are all facts. There is nothing selective about them.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
It was the policies of Harding and Coolidge that kept the 1920's depression from getting worse, not Hoover.

What about the 1930s depression that resulted from the policies of Harding and Coolidge?

Remember "Prosperity is just around the corner" as an excuse not to do anything to help the economy?

It was the policies of Harding and Coolidge that kept the 1920's depression from getting worse, not Hoover.
Hoover was not president but was instrumental in putting these policies in place.
They did not cause the Depression of the 1930s, although we can always count on Leftwinger for a handy lie.

http://majorityleader.gov/docUploads/CBOVSGOP031810.pdf

They always try to rewrite history when it proves them wrong

OUTCOME OF THE 1993 CLINTON BUDGET: REPUBLICANS WERE WRONG
Over a five-year period, the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 reduced the deficit by an estimated $433 billion. The deficit reduction resulting from the 1993 and 1990 budget reconciliations ultimately contributed to unprecedented economic growth and job creation in the late 1990s. The Clinton economy created 22.7 million new jobs, an average of 240,000 jobs per month and the highest of any single administration on record. [Congressional Budget Office and the Joint Committee on Taxation, from CRS report RS22098]

Last edited:
Hoover was not president but was instrumental in putting these policies in place.
They did not cause the Depression of the 1930s, although we can always count on Leftwinger for a handy lie.

Sure Rabbi...

All that deregulation and whats the word?....

Oh yes "Laissez Faire" government had nothing to do with throwing the world into the Great Depression

Coolidge, Harding and Hoover? ...oh my!

After that trio we didn't elect another Republican for twenty years

No one believes the clap trap rewrite of history but idiots with political aims

Go read the quotes of republicans when the 1993 bill was passed.

It was all doom and gloom , then reality came to pass and they lied to claim the results.

... It is basic economics 101...
... your presumptions dont abide with basic econ or follow logic, whatsoever...
I am not sure you are capable of engaging in debate here.
Paragraph 1: What does this have to do with anything? What does it even mean?
how validating that you can't comprehend simple statements in english, but aim to judge my wherewithal to debate.

Paragraph 2: What does GDP have to do with anything? On that view the more money the federal government spends the higher our GDP, the more wealth we have. We can spend ourselves into prosperity. This has worked real well for the Greeks and the state of California, right?
GDP is the single metric of recession, rabbi. again, your frail grasp of the very basics of economics is core to your subscribing to fools logic on the topic.

the rest of your argument is full of your trade mark leaps to ridiculous conclusions. the economy won't sustain itself with the government pitching all the coal will it? that is certainly not the case now, either. the activity in the economy, up to a threshold, will enable other factors to grow. increase any one factor and another will increase. government spending is not precluded in this reality, so increasing government spending in a recession where other factors are declining, will aid in the recovery of the economy. looking at the activity which constitutes our recovery, that is responsible for much of it.

Paragraph 3: Oracle buys equipment based on the projected economic return of that equipment. Lots of things go into that calculation, including cost of financing. If they are paying out more money for health insurance and carbon credits that leaves them less money for equipment. Pretty simple, eh?
yes, it leaves them less money for equipment. they're ruined; after all, they struggle to afford the shit. :rolleyes: one thing is for sure, rabbi. oracle does not factor taxes or health insurance into their procurement decisions.
Paragraph 4: Developed and developing countries are defined in part, but only in part, by rates of growth. There are plenty of other measures. But by any measure the Chinese, Singaporeans, Indians, and other countries with lower tax rates have stronger economies than we do now.
you are a comedian. try per-capita GDP out, or any other such measurement of economic efficiency, then let me know where china stands. there is a correlation between these economies' standards of living, labor standards, distribution of wealth, per-unit efficiency and currency value ..and their subordinate dependence on our consumption to fuel their growth.

at every discussion you're down on your knees bobbing your head. this time it is around china's waistline. are you seriously saying that we should digress to developing economy principals to affect an improvement in our economy? have you not considered that the US with a 1/10(?) of china's labor force has 3x the GDP?

china is looking to us for how to pull off their next 20+ years of economic maturity. you are looking backwards at india and china, or the US at the turn of the 20th century.

Please point out where this occurs. The Great Depression was prolonged by Roosevelt's interventionist policies. The recession of 1920 didn't become worse largely because of the laissez faire policies of Hoover. The expected depression of 1949-1950 likewise didnt happen because Congress refused to renew New Deal policies.

that is all bullshit. "the expected depression.." :rolleyes:

if you want to drop names, rabbi, one name lands clearly in favor of editec's argument and personifies objectivist conservatism's role in bringing about and exacerbating the great depression. you've selected a lot of history around this figure, taking care to draw partisan bias along the way. tax cuts: check. no bailouts: check. no monetization: check. no flinch toward government expenditure: check. recession turned depression: check...no further ado..

andrew mellon

Go read the quotes of republicans when the 1993 bill was passed.

It was all doom and gloom , then reality came to pass and they lied to claim the results.

You mean how they balanced the budget in one of the biggest peacetime expansions in history by cutting military spending, leaving us vulnerable to foreign attacks?
Nah, that didn't happen.

Geez, talk about selective.

if you want to drop names, rabbi, one name lands clearly in favor of editec's argument and personifies objectivist conservatism's role in bringing about and exacerbating the great depression. you've selected a lot of history around this figure, taking care to draw partisan bias along the way. tax cuts: check. no bailouts: check. no monetization: check. no flinch toward government expenditure: check. recession turned depression: check...no further ado..

andrew mellon

Do you doubt that everyone expected a recession after WW2, just like we have had one after every major war?
If so you're a bigger fool than I thought.

andrew mellon

Do you doubt that everyone expected a recession after WW2, just like we have had one after every major war?

there was a recession after WWII, dumbass. you said depression, anyhow. then you say something about 'bigger fool'; i'd let you hold on to that honor.

andrew mellon

there was a recession after WWII, dumbass. you said depression, anyhow. then you say something about 'bigger fool'; i'd let you hold on to that honor.

You're such an ignorant douche-bag I don't know why I bother:
Burt Folsom: Did FDR End the Depression? - WSJ.com
No one knew this more than FDR himself. His key advisers were frantic at the possibility of the Great Depression's return when the war ended and the soldiers came home. The president believed a New Deal revival was the answer—and on Oct. 28, 1944, about six months before his death, he spelled out his vision for a postwar America. It included government-subsidized housing, federal involvement in health care, more TVA projects, and the "right to a useful and remunerative job" provided by the federal government if necessa

so FDR wasn't dead in 49-50? why do you bother, rabbi? you've not made a cogent argument yet.

so FDR wasn't dead in 49-50? why do you bother, rabbi? you've not made a cogent argument yet.

I dont know why I bother. You are so thoroughly worthless as an intellect it is like debating a hand puppet.
In fact, I think I'll toss you over to iggy with your pal Shogun so i don't have to waste my time on you.

Forum List

Back