Anyone know what this is?

It's a simple way of measuring current to/from the battery.. A battery connection is passed thru the center of the coil... Without it, the battery life could be harmed or worse -- destroyed.

Confidence level == about 90%...

Been a long time since I was in the industry, but I think I see two leads on that. An induction transformer would have two sets of windings, one for the current to pass through, the other connected to the measuring circuit. The one he pictured is an inductor coil that may be for filtering certain frequency ripples out of a DC source.

But my confidence level is shaky on this.

In a lot of applications, it suffices to just run the wire carrying the current thru the center. No additional winding required. Much like the commercial "clamp-on" current meters.

OR -- it could be a filter component. But if it is -- it's only to prevent regulator/switching noise from going to the mains thru the wall power supply.. But FCC interference filtering is largely met in the wall supply itself..

Thank you. I spent 15 years peering through a magnifying glass on a bench reading schematics, chasing electrons, unsoldering and replacing compnents. Haven't done that since 1998 though, hardly anyone repairs anything these days.

Hardly anyone DESIGNS anything any more. I find less and less evidence of companies CARING about a product working 100% correctly 100% of the time. Folks have become conditioned to accept obsolescence and sketchy performance. You got out the HEIGHT of pride and quality in products.

Can't remember the last thing I bought that did not disappoint me.

"Planned obsolescence". That's one of the extra features most engineers design into a product. :biggrin:

That's what the MBAs force engineering and marketing to ACCEPT lately...

It's a coil.
It's probably for the charger power supply.

You beat me to it. It's a magnetic induction coil or toroidal inductor. this is a great find! They're worth about 39 cents apiece.

US $1.55 5% OFF|10pcs/lot Naked 22UH 3A Magnetic Induction Coil Toroidal inductor Winding Inductance For LM2596 High Quality-in Inductors from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Like you said, they're commonly used in the filtering stage of switching power supplies. Just solder it back where it went, and he'll be good to go.

Oh, so a plastic thing wrapped in copper wire. Would it mess up the charging process in the flash light if it weren’t in there?

upload_2019-2-12_0-54-26.png

I'd have to see the scats for the equipment but coils are generally part of the power supply circuitry. Which would explain your indications when you are charging. Can you still get a charge to the battery without it installed? Should be pretty obvious where it was connected in though if you can open the case up and look around.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Something was rattling around inside my Black and Decker spotlight so I took it apart and found this rolling around in it. The light still works but when you charge it up the charge indicator light never turns from red to green. It must have something to do with that.

View attachment 244855
It's a miniature Stargate.......... Rub on it, see if it grows.

View attachment 245405

I'd have to see the scats for the equipment but coils are generally part of the power supply circuitry. Which would explain your indications when you are charging. Can you still get a charge to the battery without it installed? Should be pretty obvious where it was connected in though if you can open the case up and look around.

*****SMILE*****

:)

I think it charges and I do see where it was connected.

Forum List

Back