Anyone Know Bio-Chemistry and Mechanics?

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
Took a quick run to a mostly inactive board and saw an OP that claimed the Joule Institute had developed a micro-organism that made burnable fuel through photosynthesis at $30/bbl equivalent. No link, no nothing. So I think it was a typo, I have heard report of $300/bbl equivalent bio fuels but it got me thinking with bio-tech and nano-tech rapidly developing:

What is the trendline on prices in bio-fuel?

What type of bio-fuel is being developed: alcohol; diesel; crude oil; natural gas and what are the price points for it?

What would be the conversion costs assuming that at least some variance from natural crude will exist?

And of course what will the economic effects be $20-30 crude?

Took a quick run to a mostly inactive board and saw an OP that claimed the Joule Institute had developed a micro-organism that made burnable fuel through photosynthesis at $30/bbl equivalent. No link, no nothing. So I think it was a typo, I have heard report of $300/bbl equivalent bio fuels but it got me thinking with bio-tech and nano-tech rapidly developing:

What type of bio-fuel is being developed: alcohol; diesel; crude oil; natural gas and what are the price points for it?

What would be the conversion costs assuming that at least some variance from natural crude will exist?

Commercial production next year. Here is a link:
The Bright Libertarian: Joule Unlimited: A Potential Game Changer?

Commercial production next year. Here is a link:
The Bright Libertarian: Joule Unlimited: A Potential Game Changer?
Thank you, I couldn't find that source but DARPA has developed and is using bio-avgas at comparable prices to conventional and price declines are expected as in it might get cheaper than the natural stuff. Sewerage as feedstock is also coming along and may turn out to be a twofer: cleaner affluent and energy too. Also Exxon-Mobil has a pilot program going in La Jolla CA. This could turn out to be really big really quick. But it will screw China and the Gulf states.

Forum List

Back