Zone1 Anyone know about dangers of wires to charge electronics?

Lisa558

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2021
Not sure where to put this, but I know there are smart people on this forum….

The plastic casing that covered the little metal part of my charging plug cracked off, so that the metal is exposed. Is it dangerous to use it like this?

Thanks!

(Mods, please don’t delete. If it is dangerous, you could be saving a life!)

Attachments

• 70F606F4-F03C-439F-828B-A1D5BB589857.jpeg
    70F606F4-F03C-439F-828B-A1D5BB589857.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 13
It's not going to shock you but I'd like to take this opportunity to bitch about phone chargers and how incredibly shoddy and fragile even expensive cords are.

It's not going to shock you but I'd like to take this opportunity to bitch about phone chargers and how incredibly shoddy and fragile even expensive cords are.
OK, thanks.

And yup….cheaply made, like everything these days.

The plastic casing that covered the little metal part of my charging plug cracked off, so that the metal is exposed. Is it dangerous to use it like this?

Thanks!

First off, that is an apple phone plug, and when apple in 2016 went all in for Hitlery Clinton to be president, i swore never to own an apple product ever.

Now the voltage going to your phone is low, so you wont die if it ever decided to take actions for allowing it to get so abused, My suggestion, go down to the walmart or order it on line and purchase another cord, very inexpensive and take better care of it.

First off, that is an apple phone plug, and when apple in 2016 went all in for Hitlery Clinton to be president, i swore never to own an apple product ever.

Now the voltage going to your phone is low, so you wont die if it ever decided to take actions for allowing it to get so abused, My suggestion, go down to the walmart or order it on line and purchase another cord, very inexpensive and take better care of it.

Thanks. First, it’s not a cord to my phone…..it’s to my IPad. I’m down to 10% charge, and I just needed to know if it’s OK to plug it in so I don’t run out of power. Does knowing it’s an IPad and not a phone change the advice it’s OK to use this evening?

I am of course planning to buy a replacement tomorrow.

But as far as my “allowing it to get so abused” and to “take better care of it,” all I ever did was gently push it in and pull it out. I’m always very easy on stuff.

Thanks!

Those plugs are low voltage, usually less than 6 volts at .5 amps. It is electricity, so technically it is always dangerous. However, I believe you would be able to use it safely by wrapping some electrical tape around the portion that was covered by plastic. IMHO

Those plugs are low voltage, usually less than 6 volts at .5 amps. It is electricity, so technically it is always dangerous. However, I believe you would be able to use it safely by wrapping some electrical tape around the portion that was covered by plastic. IMHO
Good advice, but I don’t have electrical tape around. I might just “hang it up” for the evening and tomorrow morning once the battery is run down.

Thx.

Thanks. First, it’s not a cord to my phone…..it’s to my IPad. I’m down to 10% charge, and I just needed to know if it’s OK to plug it in so I don’t run out of power. Does knowing it’s an IPad and not a phone change the advice it’s OK to use this evening?

I am of course planning to buy a replacement tomorrow.

But as far as my “allowing it to get so abused” and to “take better care of it,” all I ever did was gently push it in and pull it out. I’m always very easy on stuff.
No, the plug is still the same

It possibly will be easier for damage to occur if it gets wet because of the failed protective covering.

It possibly will be easier for damage to occur if it gets wet because of the failed protective covering.
Good point, but I’m not using it near any water. In any event, I’m buying a new one tomorrow. Thx.

Forum List

Back