Anyone itunes savvy?

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
Ok, so I downloaded the latest itunes (version 9.0.2) yesterday cause they are requiring it in order to download their free itunes playlists. They offer free playlists once a month or so on facebook. Usually around 20 songs or so. Anyway, the latest download required an update so . . . hey, free songs so ok.

The d/l went fine, everything is good except for the mini player. When you open itunes you can minimize the screen and it goes into your system tray. You just see and use the back/play/skip/volume buttons; click the restore button and you get itunes full screen again. Nice when you're playing games or whatever listening to music. Since the update none of the function buttons work and it doesn't restore. So it basically doesn't do anything, it just is. How zen.

I found a solution on the itunes user forums -- something about the COM interface not being registered. It tells me to find the program file for itunes.exe on my computer . . . . can't find the .exe anywhere. wth? I just need to copy and paste an address in the regserver to fix it (I think) but . . . . I am not finding what I need.

Anyone have a clue as to what I need to do? I'm running Vista (oh pipe down) on a Dell 1525. Thanks.

Thanks, KK. This is weird little bug . . . and annoying. Was hoping someone else had run into this problem and had a fix.

Thanks, KK. This is weird little bug . . . and annoying. Was hoping someone else had run into this problem and had a fix.

That's why I recommend Ubuntu so much ... post a problem like this in a forum ... you get twenty possible solutions within the hour ... do a Google search ... many many many more ... Windoze ... 12 hours and .... crickets. ;)

not to derail your thread but do you have the link to facebook?
I need to download the new version.

That's why I recommend Ubuntu so much ... post a problem like this in a forum ... you get twenty possible solutions within the hour ... do a Google search ... many many many more ... Windoze ... 12 hours and .... crickets. ;)

Ok, not to be a dope but . . . . is Ubuntu the OS?

not to derail your thread but do you have the link to facebook?
I need to download the new version.

Download the new version of what? facebook? itunes?

Just type facebook into your search bar and it'll pop up. For the free itunes stuff on facebook, in the fb search bar type 'free itunes' and click on the one that says something like 'free fall sampler' or something. You have to be running the latest itunes to get this particular sampler.

For itunes you can get the latest version doing the same thing - google search itunes downloads. The most recent itunes release (10/29/09) is 9.0.2

Ubuntu is actually a package, with the Linux OS and Gnome/KDE desktop ... the way Windoze use to be a package with MS-DOS as the OS. Ubuntu is the project to make Linux for humans, free, and backed by some major world wide groups, like Google. It automates and simplifies a lot but offers packages that can replace most of Windoze software. Unless you are a big gamer (like WoW and such) it's a great alternative to Windoze if you're brave enough and patient enough. There are many other options as well, such as not having to give up Windoze by using a dual boot set up. The biggest benefit with all Linux packages ... there is a community, the whole thing is community driven, not just uncaring corporations, you talk to real people, just like you, who have actually worked together to fix errors, fill in blanks, etc.. iTunes is supported on three major media apps in Ubuntu, the popular one being Amarok. ;) So many reasons to just learn about it, so here: Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

Unless you are on an old laptop ... the newest version is almost 100% automated, install is fully automated or you can manually control it. Everything Windoze 7 has for GUI and visualizations is actually their attempt to imitate Ubuntu ... you can make it look and feel like Windoze if you really want (though that would waste some good features).

Ubuntu is actually a package, with the Linux OS and Gnome/KDE desktop ... the way Windoze use to be a package with MS-DOS as the OS. Ubuntu is the project to make Linux for humans, free, and backed by some major world wide groups, like Google. It automates and simplifies a lot but offers packages that can replace most of Windoze software. Unless you are a big gamer (like WoW and such) it's a great alternative to Windoze if you're brave enough and patient enough. There are many other options as well, such as not having to give up Windoze by using a dual boot set up. The biggest benefit with all Linux packages ... there is a community, the whole thing is community driven, not just uncaring corporations, you talk to real people, just like you, who have actually worked together to fix errors, fill in blanks, etc.. iTunes is supported on three major media apps in Ubuntu, the popular one being Amarok. ;) So many reasons to just learn about it, so here: Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

Unless you are on an old laptop ... the newest version is almost 100% automated, install is fully automated or you can manually control it. Everything Windoze 7 has for GUI and visualizations is actually their attempt to imitate Ubuntu ... you can make it look and feel like Windoze if you really want (though that would waste some good features).

Hey thanks! We've never had any problems with Vista . . . we mostly just play some games, surf the net, etc. nothing fancy. lol But I'll look into Ubuntu. . . . and see if the hubs would go for it. However, he's a person who enjoys the comfort level of familiarity. :rolleyes:

Hey thanks! We've never had any problems with Vista . . . we mostly just play some games, surf the net, etc. nothing fancy. lol But I'll look into Ubuntu. . . . and see if the hubs would go for it. However, he's a person who enjoys the comfort level of familiarity. :rolleyes:

Meh ... if you like it, you like it ... it's just an alternative many people are starting to switch to. As I said, it depends on the games, solitaire ... there's an app for that (always wanted to post that :lol: ) ... but for games you purchase, make sure Wine has support before giving up Windoze completely, otherwise, dual boot works, then you can have both until you decide which you like best.

So . . . Ubuntu is to Windows as FireFox is to IE?

That's the best analogy I've heard. Diuretic posted a great article in one of these computer threads that explains it better. Linux is NOT Windows It's long, but basically says that they aren't the same yet they accomplish almost the same things ... with some differences. For instance .... Linux is great for multiple user systems ... while Windoze is great for games.

Forum List

Back