Anyone Have Suggestion for Broken Ipod?

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
Don't know if this belongs in Gen. Dis. or Computers

Anyone have any suggestions on a broken toggle switch on an ipod? My son's stopped 'toggling' and it's in the locked position. I even pried the little switch off the top and am moving the inner switch back and forth with no luck. I know you can push the center button and menu button at the same time for 15 seconds and it gets a frozen ipod to unfreeze. Was just wondering if there was a set of buttons to push to unlock it a different way. If not, guess I'll have to buy myself a new one and give him my old one. Oh the sacrifices a mom will make for her kids! Thanks.

Buy him a new one, then pack the old one in the new box and sell it on the street. Problem solved.

Take it to the Apple Store, wait, first call the Apple Store, make an appointment to have an office consultation with the Ipod doctors, take it in at the appointed time, and then have them tell you its broken and that you have to buy a new one. That's been my experience so far. However, you might get lucky and they'll fix it for a price.

buy a cheaper, better working, use your own mp3 instead of buying through itunes, mp3 player that doesn't come from Apple.

buy a cheaper, better working, use your own mp3 instead of buying through itunes, mp3 player that doesn't come from Apple.

There is wisdom is Shogun's post

(never thought I'd say that)

Fill it w/ plastiques, score the inside for mas shrapnel, and give it to someone you don't like....

Or load it w/ a virus that encrypts their HD w/ 2048-bit encryption in the background...

Interesting suggestions, thanks.

Anyone know the life expectancy of ipods/mp3 players? I'm old school, I think things should last damn near forever if properly taken care of. This one was 3 yrs. old, purchased new.

The short life of an iPod
My 40GB iPod, which I received for Christmas 2004, has recently frozen. When I took it to the Apple Store in Regent Street, I was told that the hard drive had failed and that as the one-year warranty had expired, my choices were to spend upwards of £100 having it repaired (and they couldn't guarantee that this would solve the problem) or to buy a new iPod costing some £160 or more. The implication I got from the store was that by putting a one-year warranty on the iPod, Apple believed it to be a disposable item that wouldn't have that long a life-span. Needless to say, I won't be buying another iPod. James Step
The short life of an iPod | Technology | guardian.co.uk

iPod Life Estimated at Four Years
Though some iPods do develop faults, Apple builds them to last at least four years, the company claims.

A Chicago Tribune report weighs up the cacophony of complaints regarding Apple's music players. With Apple selling millions of these devices each month, it's likely that any percentage of failure would be well reported. Apple believes there are more faultless iPods in circulation than broken models.

Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris assured the newspaper that iPods have a failure rate of less than 5 per cent, which she called "fairly low" compared with other consumer electronics. "The vast majority of our customers are extremely happy with their iPods," she said, adding that an iPod is designed to last four years.

Bob O'Donnell, a vice president at technology research firm IDC, said: "Any time you have that many of anything, some will not function properly."

The report considers other evidence that points to a higher failure rate, but these are based on unscientific online polls and the word of famed Microsoft analyst, the Enderle Group's Rob Enderle. Enderle reckons iPods have a 15 per cent failure rate, according to the report.

The reporter interviewed some iPod users to elicit their opinions on the product, and found fanatical brand loyalty. "Walkmans were everywhere in the 80s," one user remarked, "and now iPods have that exact same effect on this generation."
iPod Life Estimated at Four Years

Anyone have any suggestions on a broken toggle switch on an ipod? My son's stopped 'toggling' and it's in the locked position. I even pried the little switch off the top and am moving the inner switch back and forth with no luck. I know you can push the center button and menu button at the same time for 15 seconds and it gets a frozen ipod to unfreeze. Was just wondering if there was a set of buttons to push to unlock it a different way. If not, guess I'll have to buy myself a new one and give him my old one. Oh the sacrifices a mom will make for her kids! Thanks.
my IPod freezes every times it is cold, I just put it up to the car heater and it un freezes.:lol:

my IPod freezes every times it is cold, I just put it up to the car heater and it un freezes.:lol:

Try holding the center button and menu button in at the same time until the apple logo appears (about 20 seconds or so). My daughter updated itunes with her ipod plugged in once and ever since then the ipod periodically freezes. This fixes it everytime.

If nothing else you can look on ebay. I know there are people that fix ipods for a living through apple, and are willing to either fix your ipod or buy it from you and sell it back fixed. I think it was in the 50-100$ range for the repair, but that was with a gen 4, the new ones may cost more.

If nothing else you can look on ebay. I know there are people that fix ipods for a living through apple, and are willing to either fix your ipod or buy it from you and sell it back fixed. I think it was in the 50-100$ range for the repair, but that was with a gen 4, the new ones may cost more.

Oh I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Apple sells refurbished ipods for $99. We've had two (mine and my other daughters) for about 2 1/2 yrs with zero problems. I may just go that route. Mine will only hold another 20 songs or so and I was thinking about getting a new one anyway. Might just do that and give my son my old one.

After reading the article that Shogun provided I guess I have waay high expectations for the life expectancy of things. My parents have a small GE refrigerator they got when they first married, 57 years ago. Works like a charm. They also have the toaster they got when they got married - cord and/or plug was replaced - but other than that, it also works like a charm. Silly me to think things made today would hold up, huh? :(

Forum List

Back