Anyone have Europe's reaction?

In quotes: World reacts to US poll
Foreign leaders have been reacting to the US presidential election on 2 November 2004, even while the outcome remains unclear.

Alexander Downer, Australian Foreign Minister

From our point of view, the Bush administration is a known quantity.

People in Sydney watching election results (3/11/04)
Australians watched in Sydney as results came in

We've had a very good relationship with them the last four years. I'm sure we'll be able to keep building on that over the next four.

But, look, frankly, if Senator Kerry somehow miraculously comes through here or if in any case he had been elected, we would have worked pretty well with them as well.

Vladimir Putin, Russian President

I am convinced that international terrorism tried to prevent Bush from being re-elected.

Bin-Laden's statement at the final stage of the election race in the USA is the best means to confirm this thesis.

If Bush wins, then I will be able to rejoice that the American people did not allow themselves to be scared and made a right decision.

Silvio Berlusconi, Italian Prime Minister

The continuation of Bush in American politics makes things easier for us.

As for international policy, Bush will continue with the policy that assigns the United States the role of defender and promoter of freedom and democracy.

Iyad Allawi, interim Prime Minister of Iraq

Whoever wins will be our friend. The United States liberated us from a dictator from a very long period of war and agony. We will always be grateful to America for what it has done and continues to do.

Michel Barnier, French Foreign Minister

I can raise my hat to American democracy. There has been an incredible turnout and a debate in which the entire world took interest.

I can already express wishes for the US elected president, for the American people, which is a friend and ally.

We have a lot of things to do, both regarding the current crises - Iraq, the Middle East, Iran, the challenges raised by the African continent - and to rebuild, to reform the transatlantic relations.

Tony Blair, UK Prime Minister

An election night party at the US embassy in London
Ex-pats and Britons gathered at the US embassy in London

I am sure that the whole House will join me in sending congratulations to President... Karzai of Afghanistan.

(Laughter in the House of Commons)

Like everyone else, I await the outcome of the other presidential election with interest.

Junichiro Koizumi, Japanese Prime Minister

It seems that a close race is continuing as expected. Regardless of which candidate wins, I think there will basically be no change in the recognition of friendship between Japan and the United States.

Nabil Abu Rudeina, aide to Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat

We are ready to work with any American administration.

The only thing we are interested in is seeing an administration that will work to advance the peace process... to allow the creation of a Palestinian state.

Moody Awori, Kenyan Vice-President

I am a little bit apprehensive because the first term of Bush, he had come in as a lame duck.

Now it appears as if he is winning very convincingly. To me, I think we are going to see more dictatorship on an international scale. We are going to see more extremism come out of there.

We are going to see even more isolationism where America will not bother about the United Nations. To me that is a very sad affair.

Miguel Angel Moratinos, Spanish Foreign Minister

Whoever the winner is - and if it is the case, as the polls seem to indicate, that it is President Bush - well, this government will strengthen its relationship with an ally and friend, the United States, with an American administration.

Its members can count on Spain continuing to be a firm partner in the fight against terrorism.

Aleksander Kwasniewski, Polish President

From the point of view of Poland's interests, further co-operation with George W Bush is good news. I hope that this will also mean increased activity in bilateral affairs, as they lacked sufficient engagement.

Karsten Voigt, German Foreign Ministry

I simply hope that the American president, whatever his name might be, will take this opportunity to reach out to Europeans and say in both style and substance how we can work together.

No I want to see the people's reaction, come you think another country other then the "evil axis" is gonna down play our president. I wanna see these people who kicked and spit on Bush's image now.

Fmr jarhead said:
Moody Awori, Kenyan Vice-President

I am a little bit apprehensive because the first term of Bush, he had come in as a lame duck.

Now it appears as if he is winning very convincingly. To me, I think we are going to see more dictatorship on an international scale. We are going to see more extremism come out of there.

We are going to see even more isolationism where America will not bother about the United Nations. To me that is a very sad affair.
:wtf:

Forum List

Back