Anyone have any experience with OTF knives?

Since so many folks have been indoctrinated into gun phobia and especially so many potential jurors who will judge you if you ever have to shoot someone in defense of your life....I think knives are the best way to go. Very lethal at close range and the jury will view you much more favorably.

Too many juries now seem to think anyone who carries a concealed weapon as in a pistol are somehow guilty even if they have a license to carry.

May the lord help lf you have to shoot an un-armed black to defend your life.

The media will crucify you and the state will feel compelled to indict you and send you to jail.

Too many folks running around with a pistol in their pocket and they think they are o.k because they have a permit to carry a concealed weapon.....not understanding even their particular states law on self defense....not even to mention if you go into another state....your permit may not cover you and their law on self defense will be different.

The Wusthof are ground to 28 degrees and the Zwilling should be ground to 30 degrees but I figure the 28 is close enough.
You can easily get em shaving sharp and they'll usually hold an edge for years.
Really? 28° inclusive? Or 28° a side? Because those numbers are very strange either way. One is much too acute, the other much too obtuse. Do you sharpen them yourself? Because from my experience 'easily get em shaving sharp' and 'hold an edge for years' are mutually exclusive. For instance, I have a lot of trouble getting 14C28N steel shaving sharp at 25° a side. I can manage it with reasonable effort at 20° a side. 14° a side is getting into thin blade straight razor territory in my understanding.

You know what happens to guys who carry knives?

They get shot!

I think the marketing gurus have sucked in another one....
X50CrMoV15
- German steel. Very stain resistant. Other than that not much to speak of. The cryptic X50CrMoV15 stands for 0.5% carbon, the other 15% is composed of 14% or 14.5% of Cr, some Mo and V. X in the name is a an indicator for high alloy steel, 0.5% C content means, by definition X50CrMoV15 isn't a high carbon steel, despite of some marketing claims. In fact it has less C content compared to 440C steel. However, it's plenty tough and resists corrosion well and it is a high alloy steel. If you don't want to bother maintaining your knives this is a good choice. Except for the low edge holding ability of course. In the end, you end up sharpening it a lot more often, so low maintenance statement is really arguable. Used by Wusthof, Victorinox and others in their high end knives. Ref - X50CrMoV15 Steel Composition. If you are interested, you can also read up on DIN And EN Steel Standards Naming Conventions.

Marketing! Hold an edge forever! Give me a break. Though 60rc is respectable, 15° is going to deform under hard use.

Each knife is individually numbered; Only 285 knives were produced

Damascus blade is constructed of 107 layers of steel from the actual Mungsten bridge; Every knife features a unique Damascus pattern; 60° Rockwell Hardness

Features a V-edge with a 15° angle on each side, giving the optimum cutting angle for precise performance

Full tang, triple rivet handle is constructed of African Blackwood, ensuing a well balanced, elegant knife

Smooth, curved bolster provides a sleek transition from blade to handle allowing a pinch grip for safe and precise cutting

Handcrafted in Solingen, Germany; Lifetime Warranty against defects

Created to mark Zwilling's 285th Anniversary, the Zwilling J.A. Henckels Mungsten Damast Limited Edition Chef's Knife has been produced using steel from the Mungsten Bridge in Solingen, Germany. During repair of the bridge, some parts had to be replaced, so Zwilling took the opportunity to use the historic and extremely durable steel and turn it into an incredible knife. The blade is made using 107 layers of the steel to mark the 107 meter height of the bridge. This manufacturing method forms the basis for the damask knife and means that each blade is unique. The handle is made from African Blackwood, which is quite dark, thereby forming a contrast to the shiny blade. Designed by prestigious Italian designer, Matteo Thun, the Zwilling Chef's knife made from Mungsten bridge steel will serve you well in all of your kitchen work, and you will be able to hold a genuine piece of Solingen history in your hands.
Zwilling J.A. Henckels Mungsten Damast Limited Edition Damascus Chef's Knife, 8" | Cutlery and More

9331EAF3-F466-447F-8871-2C6D1E0F8CB2.jpeg
View attachment 289722 View attachment 289722
Yeah, you point it at the commie bedwetter you hate and press the switch and the blade shoots out a 1800 fps.
I’ve watched 5 videos it’s a folding knife who cares
What exactly does the knife care about? And it's an automatic knife.
Video?
videoGIF-a.gif
If I had that sat night I’d be in the news
I’ve told you a thousand times to stay away from that place hard head. :boobies::poke:

The Wusthof are ground to 28 degrees and the Zwilling should be ground to 30 degrees but I figure the 28 is close enough.
Really? 28° inclusive? Or 28° a side? Because those numbers are very strange either way. One is much too acute, the other much too obtuse. Do you sharpen them yourself? Because from my experience 'easily get em shaving sharp' and 'hold an edge for years' are mutually exclusive. For instance, I have a lot of trouble getting 14C28N steel shaving sharp at 25° a side. I can manage it with reasonable effort at 20° a side. 14° a side is getting into thin blade straight razor territory in my understanding.

Thats 14 degrees per side.
I thought it seemed a little thin myself but it works great and they hols an edge very well.
I didnt sharpen them for 3 or 4 years other than hitting em with the ceramic rod before use.

I thought it seemed a little thin myself but it works great and they hols an edge very well.
I didnt sharpen them for 3 or 4 years other than hitting em with the ceramic rod before use.
Isn't that like razor blade sharp? Anyway the people who market the knife in the OP still haven't answered two emails so I'll get some other cheap chink otf and see if I like it and then get a good one.

Isn't that like razor blade sharp? Anyway the people who market the knife in the OP still haven't answered two emails so I'll get some other cheap chink otf and see if I like it and then get a good one.

Razors are 7 to 8 degrees.

This knife is razor sharp.

4167.jpg

And super quick and easy to sharpen.

Fair enough, I stand corrected. However there's a reason that Wusthof steel is so soft. Too, holding an edge, imo, means one doesn't have to constantly hone or steel a knife.

10 to 17 Degrees Angles

Most available knives can handle a low sharpening edge of 10 to 17 degrees. It’s a very fine angle edge considering that sharpening at such an angle would total 20 to 34 degrees. A knife that is sharpened at such an angle becomes too weak to handle any chopping motion type of work. Its impact can be worse when the blades are made of hard steel which characteristically bristles and therefore more susceptible to damage. However, such a lower angle can be applicable in providing a smooth cutting action to knives that slice meat or cut other soft items.
Knife Sharpening Angles

Last edited:
Fair enough, I stand corrected. However there's a reason that Wusthof steel is so soft. Too, holding an edge, imo, means one doesn't have to constantly hone or steel a knife.

10 to 17 Degrees Angles

Most available knives can handle a low sharpening edge of 10 to 17 degrees. It’s a very fine angle edge considering that sharpening at such an angle would total 20 to 34 degrees. A knife that is sharpened at such an angle becomes too weak to handle any chopping motion type of work. Its impact can be worse when the blades are made of hard steel which characteristically bristles and therefore more susceptible to damage. However, such a lower angle can be applicable in providing a smooth cutting action to knives that slice meat or cut other soft items.
Knife Sharpening Angles

This where that angle works so well.

"However, such a lower angle can be applicable in providing a smooth cutting action to knives that slice meat or cut other soft items."

I dont use my butcher knife to chop chicken bones or the like,I use my cleaver which has a much wider angle and will withstand the abuse.

I have found the steak knives dont like being used on a ceramic plate and they'll get dull near the end of the blade after a dozen uses or so.

Ok, knife update. I'm happy with it and all, and I wanted to leave a review of it but there was no button to click to do so. So I contacted the seller and told them about it and they said they could take care of it and that if I left a review they would discount the knife 30%. I said ok, and left a good review. Didn't lie or anything about it. So a few days go by and I email them about the refund and they reply saying that Amazon will not allow them to do that kind of a discount so they were going to refund me the total purchase price. Dang! So I emailed them back and said that was not right and they deserve to get paid for their product and to forget about the discount. I was good with it. They emailed me back and said it was already done and the just enjoy it and buy from them again.

Ok, knife update. I'm happy with it and all, and I wanted to leave a review of it but there was no button to click to do so. So I contacted the seller and told them about it and they said they could take care of it and that if I left a review they would discount the knife 30%. I said ok, and left a good review. Didn't lie or anything about it. So a few days go by and I email them about the refund and they reply saying that Amazon will not allow them to do that kind of a discount so they were going to refund me the total purchase price. Dang! So I emailed them back and said that was not right and they deserve to get paid for their product and to forget about the discount. I was good with it. They emailed me back and said it was already done and the just enjoy it and buy from them again.

Thanks for being an upstanding individual.

Forum List

Back