anyone have a shetland sheepdog

angelblue

Rookie
Sep 5, 2004
Columbus, Ohio
wondering if anybody on here has a shetland sheepdog , or sheltie for short,
I have a almost 4 year old in jan , she is a tri-color .her name is angel, i got her from my stepdaughter , when she was 6 month old , she is a very good dog , i have done most of the training myself . they say they are too active, i really don,t have that with her , i guess maybe it is because i play with her when i get up and when i get home from work , any way i just wanted to know if there was anyone that also had one ,and what there thoughts were on them

angelblue

My aunt and uncle have one. She's a sweet dog, only mildly active like you've experienced. great watchdogs as far as letting you know somethings not right. wasn't fond of smaller kids though.

When I was growing up, we had one, Jamie. He lives with my parents now, I think he's like 12 or something now? Maybe older. Definitely a great watch-dog, as DK said, maybe a little too good, he used to wake us up barking in the middle of the night barking at a tree branch scratching at the window. He was never really hyperactive, but there was always someone around the house to play with him, though. He never liked little kids that much, though. They are a very, very protective and loyal breed, even now, he'll follow my mom all over the house. He used to flip out if someone tried to hug my mom or did anything that resembled them hurting her. I read somewhere that they love to be touched too, which makes sense, because Jamie is constantly rubbing his face all over you if you don't pet him. They're very affectionate and loyal and smart, too, I'd buy one in a second.

Funny story about my dog:

When we lived in NJ, we had an above-ground pool, and he used to get in these moods when he was a puppy when he'd just run around the thing over and over again. We consulted someone about it and found out that because they're sheepdogs, the act of running around something, as they would do with a herd of sheep, has become something they're just born with, and he was probably acting out on that.

One other funny story:

We used to have a bird, a chattering lorie, that could talk. He was like a small hyperactive parrot. Believe me, the name "chattering" definitely fits. We used to let him walk around on the counter (his wings were clipped), and he would call the dog's name, which would make him come. When he did, the bird would push stuff off the counter with his beak and hit the dog with it, then jump up and down, all happy. The first time we saw him do it, we just kind of looked at each other in disbelief, like "can a bird really be that malicious?" It's a good thing my brother named him Chucky, that name really fit. The dog only fell for it a couple times, but man that was funny.

Dan,that stuff about your dog following your mom around the house sounds exactly like my dog,only he is a Australian Shepard/Lad mix. He has a very strong herding instinct. He follows me even into the bathroon-I can't even get the door shut!! When the neighbors dog comes over,Dodger herds him in circles over and over-it's that herding dog thing. I'm assuming the Sheltie falls into this category. Do you know Angelblue?

yes Krisy Shelties also herd. angel will follow me all over ,and when i go to let her out she will try to nip me so that i will go out with her , i read most of the characteristics little are no hunting instinct, good with kids, willing to live with other animals,live to guard its flock (translation you ,your family and home, plus it has no desire to roam, barks which angle is not bad at that ,she only does it outside .does sheds alot , and they can live inside or outside , mine is and inside she is a pretty good dog she give me alot of company when i am here by myself .

New Topics

Forum List

Back