anyone had h1n1 or the swine flu, yet?

Rhinovirus doesn't usually kill people, flu does. There's a reason medicos call Influenza A "the monster".

This is an interesting read:

Johns Hopkins Public Health Magazine | Stalking The Mutating Monster

Notice, the flu doesn't kill either, it's complications related to the flu, not the flu itself. Just stronger viruses tend to require more energy to fight off, so an unhealthy person will naturally be at a higher risk unless they are smarter than the virus (rare I know). The cold causes complications as well, and more cases of death occur from it than the flu, just they don't fill your heads with this false "the virus killed them" myth.

Rhinovirus doesn't usually kill people, flu does. There's a reason medicos call Influenza A "the monster".

Notice, the flu doesn't kill either, it's complications related to the flu, not the flu itself. Just stronger viruses tend to require more energy to fight off, so an unhealthy person will naturally be at a higher risk unless they are smarter than the virus (rare I know). The cold causes complications as well, and more cases of death occur from it than the flu, just they don't fill your heads with this false "the virus killed them" myth.

That's it, that's the danger and a lot of folks (in Aus) who are writing letters to the editor and spruiking on forums don't understand how it works. So, those with co-morbidities are at greater risk from H1N1 right now, agreed. However, it should be borne in mind that H1N1 in its Spanish Flu manifestation facilitated the death of young, fit, healthy people without underlying chronic conditions - their immune system killed them. The virus doesn't kill anyone, it just enters the body, hooks into a cell, discharges its RNA/DNA and infects the whole body, from there it's a matter of what else can go wrong.

That's it, that's the danger and a lot of folks (in Aus) who are writing letters to the editor and spruiking on forums don't understand how it works. So, those with co-morbidities are at greater risk from H1N1 right now, agreed. However, it should be borne in mind that H1N1 in its Spanish Flu manifestation facilitated the death of young, fit, healthy people without underlying chronic conditions - their immune system killed them. The virus doesn't kill anyone, it just enters the body, hooks into a cell, discharges its RNA/DNA and infects the whole body, from there it's a matter of what else can go wrong.

Sure ... it's no less dangerous than the common cold, sorry, but you have no proof. A danger is something that outright kills off at least 10% of the population ho come in contact with it, so far, less than 5% who get it die, and then only those with underlying health issues, and less than .000001% of the population as a whole ... so no, it's just lame how the medical machine has conned people into believing that everything is of dire risk ... it's not.

No proof of what Kitten? I'm not claiming this is the end of the species (we had two close shaves - Black Plague and Spanish Flu and this is close to neither of those). What I am suggesting is that those of us in the big bulge of the normal curve need to make sure that our politicians and medicos are sticking to the job and that on the one hand the "we're doomed!" lot don't panic the rest of us and said politicians (medicos are less prone to the effect of popular opinion) and on the other hand the politicians aren't swayed by the other side of the argument that suggests there's no or little danger to people from this manifestation of H1N1.

Medicos are being careful with comment. They haven't talked up the possibility of drastic mutation of the virus, nor have they brought in H5N1 but my money's on them watching out for mutation and for human to human transmission of H5N1.

As I think I may have posted before, I'm concerned but I'm not shitting my pants over this, nor do I have my head up my backside ignoring it and I'm doing my own bit to make sure that in my little corner of the universe that our politicians (who control the purse strings of public health as well as legislative authority in matters public health). That's a bit unlike me, I'm not an inveterate caller of talkback or writer of letters to politicians or editors (I just bang on about stuff here :lol:). I am also very aware of a little learning being a dang'rous thing, I'm trying to keep some perspective on this.

Last edited:
No proof of what Kitten? I'm not claiming this is the end of the species (we had two close shaves - Black Plague and Spanish Flu and this is close to neither of those). What I am suggesting is that those of us in the big bulge of the normal curve need to make sure that our politicians and medicos are sticking to the job and that on the one hand the "we're doomed!" lot don't panic the rest of us and said politicians (medicos are less prone to the effect of popular opinion) and on the other hand the politicians aren't swayed by the other side of the argument that suggests there's no or little danger to people from this manifestation of H1N1.

Medicos are being careful with comment. They haven't talked up the possibility of drastic mutation of the virus, nor have they brought in H5N1 but my money's on them watching out for mutation and for human to human transmission of H5N1.

As I think I may have posted before, I'm concerned but I'm not shitting my pants over this, nor do I have my head up my backside ignoring it and I'm doing my own bit to make sure that in my little corner of the universe that our politicians (who control the purse strings of public health as well as legislative authority in matters public health). That's a bit unlike me, I'm not an inveterate caller of talkback or writer of letters to politicians or editors (I just bang on about stuff here :lol:). I am also very aware of a little learning being a dang'rous thing, I'm trying to keep some perspective on this.

Now you are again comparing old medical technology to today ... back then was there even a chance of survival? Barely, because why? They had no medical technology compared to today. It doesn't work that way. The reality is that even if something like the Black Plague actually managed to come into play, there would be few deaths compared to the first time, and with our population at 6 billion the percentage of the population effected would be insignificant.

the plague is alive and well ...just as hanson's disease is....the problem with the flu.....its an unstable virus....able to mutate into something we do not have treatment for....that is the pandemnic fear.

the spanish flu killed healthy men/women within 24 hours....how many people seek treatment for the flu that fast...my advice..get the damned pnemonia shot...it works

the plague is alive and well ...just as hanson's disease is....the problem with the flu.....its an unstable virus....able to mutate into something we do not have treatment for....that is the pandemnic fear.

Um ... really all viruses have that potential, all simple life forms do really. They are trying to make you nervous to con you into paying them more, in the US they are grubbing for our tax dollars using the lack of knowledge of the masses to con you into believing that this poses a larger threat than it really does. They try the same thing with e-coli ... and even I fell for that one a long time ago. Fact is, viruses help form our DNA, they help strengthen our bodies. They don't tell you that, nor do they tell you that the antibiotics create a bigger threat to them mutating as a survival instinct, also that the sanitizers force bacteria and viruses to evolved into stronger forms that they can't protect you from. It's all about getting money from you right now, nothing more.

Now you are again comparing old medical technology to today ... back then was there even a chance of survival? Barely, because why? They had no medical technology compared to today. It doesn't work that way. The reality is that even if something like the Black Plague actually managed to come into play, there would be few deaths compared to the first time, and with our population at 6 billion the percentage of the population effected would be insignificant.

Germ theory was a great advance in medical knowledge. Pretty damn difficult to deal with flu when we were guided by miasma theory. Sadly our knowledge wasn't too good back in 1917-1920 when the Spanish Flu version of H1N1 was rampaging around the Earth. True enough though, we're better off now with our medical knowledge and the ability to manufacture a vaccine and get it to people is a major comfort. But that presupposes we have infrastructure to actually deliver vaccines and that our policy makers are able to get themselves into gear to make sure what needs to be done is done and vested interests don't intervene.

How come they won't tell us what the "previous medical conditions" were, on all of those that have died? I think they should tell us....is it those with Asthma or those with Diabetes or those with just allergies?

I must admit to being a bit impatient with folks here (in my country, not USMB) who think this virus is either a joke or a media beat-up. There seems to be a school of thought that says it's relatively harmless because it only kills those with co-morbidity conditions. Comforting for those folks who actually do have underlying conditions I'm sure. Given that Diabetes 2 is in such good form around the world among adults there's cause for concern - not panic, concern.

I'm not trying to suggest this latest H1N1 is like the 1918-1920 H1N1 but the Spanish Flu was a mild three-day flu at first until the little bastard mutated into the second biggest threat to humanity's existence on Earth. We're a bit better off now because we know for sure what causes flu, until about 1911 medical science relied on the miasma theory to explain it (which of course meant that the virus could go on killing as we didn't know it was the real cause).

#1.

The WHO and other health organizations are trying to get out in front of a potentially large problem. For being proactive they are castigated by the same people that would be bemoaning them if they were not so.

On a side note, I thought it was interesting that the mortality is generally highest during these flu pandemics among the healthy due to the cytokine effect. Their body's literally over-react and kill them.

H1N1 'swine' flu has infected an estimated 1 million in U.S. - Los Angeles Times

At least 1 million Americans have now contracted the novel H1N1 influenza, according to mathematical models prepared by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, while data from the field indicates that the virus is continuing to spread even though the normal flu season is over and that an increasing proportion of victims are being hospitalized.

No, but I was wondering. . . . when only a few people in the U.S. had it, that's all you heard about on the news. Now that over 1M people in the U.S. have it . . . you don't hear nearly as much about it. Just a passing line or two, if that.

This flu is hanging around and may likely pose a huge threat come fall.

Um ... really all viruses have that potential, all simple life forms do really. They are trying to make you nervous to con you into paying them more, in the US they are grubbing for our tax dollars using the lack of knowledge of the masses to con you into believing that this poses a larger threat than it really does. They try the same thing with e-coli ... and even I fell for that one a long time ago. Fact is, viruses help form our DNA, they help strengthen our bodies. They don't tell you that, nor do they tell you that the antibiotics create a bigger threat to them mutating as a survival instinct, also that the sanitizers force bacteria and viruses to evolved into stronger forms that they can't protect you from. It's all about getting money from you right now, nothing more.

E-Coli is a bacteria. There is no competent medical professional that will deny that over use of antibiotics has created resistance among bacteria. That is why health practitioners are somewhat sparing in their use of Vancomycin. Once MRSA becomes VRSA (which has already occurred), we could potentially have a hell of a mess. I fully endorse using antibiotics sparingly. I think it's a stretch to say that bacterial mutation outweighs the utility of antibiotics. It's completely absurd to say that you shouldn't use hand sanitizers, as good hygiene is the best way to prevent sickness.

The flu is a virus. Antibiotics are useless against viruses. In fact, we have few pharmaceutical avenues to utilize against viruses. The few that we do, don't clear the virus, they just manage it.

You best best against getting a virus is to get vaccinated. When you get the flu vaccination you get two strains of flu A and one strain of flu B. If you get vaccinated every year, you will build up your immunity to many different strains.

Okay, complications related to the virus ... um yeah ... as I said, so we should fear the common cold. More people die each year for the same exact types of "complications" related to the virus ... which basically means they were unhealthy to begin with and the virus just mad something else kill them faster than it would normally have. If anything this really points to nothing more than people need to start questioning their doctors more and disband the AMA, FDA, and ADA.

As noted earlier, flu pandemics are scary because they tend to kill the healthy and immunocompetent, which differentiates from the common cold, which prays on the infirm with underlying conditions.

Cytokine storm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the good folks who work in the field. They are certainly more informed on the potential for harm than you are.

One of my classmates just got a serious case of Flu A that knocked them out for a week and caused them to run a fever over 100 for several days. They were at a function and several other people also got the same flu/symptoms at it.

They didn't type the flu past flu A, but this late in the season you have to wonder.

Forum List

Back