anyone had h1n1 or the swine flu, yet?

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
H1N1 'swine' flu has infected an estimated 1 million in U.S. - Los Angeles Times

At least 1 million Americans have now contracted the novel H1N1 influenza, according to mathematical models prepared by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, while data from the field indicates that the virus is continuing to spread even though the normal flu season is over and that an increasing proportion of victims are being hospitalized.

my boy had a "Type A Influenza" over memorial day week. They didn't diagnose beyond that, but H1N1 is a type A, so probably....

Thank heaven for tamiflu.... and for my friend the pharmacist who tracked it down for me.

H1N1 'swine' flu has infected an estimated 1 million in U.S. - Los Angeles Times

At least 1 million Americans have now contracted the novel H1N1 influenza, according to mathematical models prepared by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, while data from the field indicates that the virus is continuing to spread even though the normal flu season is over and that an increasing proportion of victims are being hospitalized.

Only a million ... sheesh, some pandemic there. Does that mean we can now call the common cold a pandemic to?

2 or 3 times I think but never felt the need to mention it until you asked.

My cousin's daughter (6 yr) got it! They treated her with medicine and she got over it! It was surreal, because you heard about the seriousness of it, yet she got over it rather quickly with medicine and was fine in two weeks!

My cousin's daughter (6 yr) got it! They treated her with medicine and she got over it! It was surreal, because you heard about the seriousness of it, yet she got over it rather quickly with medicine and was fine in two weeks!

The "seriousness" was just an exaggeration to con us out of more funding for certain groups. They need these "epidemics" once in a while or risk more people seeing what con artists the medical organizations really are.

Only a million ... sheesh, some pandemic there. Does that mean we can now call the common cold a pandemic to?

Five dead so far here in Australia. Folks around the world have got it, some in very isolated areas - it's a pandemic alright.

yea i saw where its been declared a pandemic...dont mock the flu....tour any large old graveyard and look at the graves.....1918 or so will be flu...the infants graves in the early 50's are polio

I must admit to being a bit impatient with folks here (in my country, not USMB) who think this virus is either a joke or a media beat-up. There seems to be a school of thought that says it's relatively harmless because it only kills those with co-morbidity conditions. Comforting for those folks who actually do have underlying conditions I'm sure. Given that Diabetes 2 is in such good form around the world among adults there's cause for concern - not panic, concern.

I'm not trying to suggest this latest H1N1 is like the 1918-1920 H1N1 but the Spanish Flu was a mild three-day flu at first until the little bastard mutated into the second biggest threat to humanity's existence on Earth. We're a bit better off now because we know for sure what causes flu, until about 1911 medical science relied on the miasma theory to explain it (which of course meant that the virus could go on killing as we didn't know it was the real cause).

that is true ....the minute it mutates....and becomes a killer....in 24 hours of young and healthy ...then people will take it with more seriousness.....mother nature is ready to rid herself of the parasites mankind is

Five dead so far here in Australia. Folks around the world have got it, some in very isolated areas - it's a pandemic alright.

*gasp* a whole five died! Oh know ... not less than .0000000001% of the population ... that's sto scary.

that is true ....the minute it mutates....and becomes a killer....in 24 hours of young and healthy ...then people will take it with more seriousness.....mother nature is ready to rid herself of the parasites mankind is

You do realize that ANY virus can mutate at ANY time ... right? The danger is no more than it's ever been, as a matter of fact, thanks to all our technology, the danger of it getting "out of hand" is minuscule at most.

06/27/09 08:26 PM

Second Buffalo School student dies of swine flu

A 9-year-old Buffalo girl died of swine flu Saturday -- the second Buffalo School District student to die of the disease in a week.

Maya Harden, who died just after 9:30 a.m. Saturday in Women and Children's Hospital, had been on life support and had contracted pneumonia and MRSA, according to WIVB-TV, Channel 4. She was a fourth-grader at the Charles Drew Science Magnet School 59.

The girl's death comes one week after 15-year-old Matthew Davis, an eighth-grader at Buffalo's Harvey Austin School 97, Sycamore Street, died from swine flu complications.

Because of confidentiality reasons, Buffalo School District officials did not identify the student.
http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/716866.html

It's indicative of the changing nature of H1N1. First it was described as "mild", which it was and I'm not suggesting anyone has been making misleading comments. Then it was considered dangerous to people with underlying conditions. I'm suggesting it's good not to be complacent about it and that means that politicians and medicos have to be kept on their toes on this.

The important indicator is the rate of fatalities within the rate of infections. At the moment the fatality rate for H1N1 is slightly above that for seasonal flu. That's nothing to be overly concerned about of course - but it's no reason to be complacent, that's all I was saying.

Okay, complications related to the virus ... um yeah ... as I said, so we should fear the common cold. More people die each year for the same exact types of "complications" related to the virus ... which basically means they were unhealthy to begin with and the virus just mad something else kill them faster than it would normally have. If anything this really points to nothing more than people need to start questioning their doctors more and disband the AMA, FDA, and ADA.

Forum List

Back