anyone had a gastric by pass?

I believe there are some Insulin drugs, (if the OP takes Insulin), that actually help reduce the weight by making you more full. Also some carbs are not to friendly with regards to blood sugar levels, but I am not sure which so that is something to be taken up with a dietitan or nutritionist etc. Is there some sort of Diabetic Association you could look at that has support forums, pages of recipes, etc? Choose advice from the internet wisely though because your life is too precious to take incorrect advice.

I don't know about that insulin but there are many books on what you can eat that concerns carbs

If the OP puts the words Insulin that helps you lose weight into Google, then she will find which will work provided her doctor is in agreement.

you had mention about eating sugar products ... and weight loss as I said, I don't know of any insulin that helps you lose weight ... I'm not saying there isn't any, what I'm am saying is you can't say to your self or anyone well its ok go to eat sugar products today if you just take just a little more insulin then required that day ... I know of people who have done this and crashed ... went into insulin shock ... or fun to be around it's not a good thing ... instead of maintaining a good level, they dropped down to 25 that's a death sentence ... I don't think you know what you are talking about... I'm not a doctor but I have all around me my friends, wife who are diabetics and thought they could do this and almost died ... now I control as much as I can what the wife eats ... I want her around a long time ... well long enough for me to die ... they guys supposed to die first that's the rules ...

I don't know about that insulin but there are many books on what you can eat that concerns carbs

If the OP puts the words Insulin that helps you lose weight into Google, then she will find which will work provided her doctor is in agreement.

you had mention about eating sugar products ... and weight loss as I said, I don't know of any insulin that helps you lose weight ... I'm not saying there isn't any, what I'm am saying is you can't say to your self or anyone well its ok go to eat sugar products today if you just take just a little more insulin then required that day ... I know of people who have done this and crashed ... went into insulin shock ... or fun to be around it's not a good thing ... instead of maintaining a good level, they dropped down to 25 that's a death sentence ... I don't think you know what you are talking about... I'm not a doctor but I have all around me my friends, wife who are diabetics and thought they could do this and almost died ... now I control as much as I can what the wife eats ... I want her around a long time ... well long enough for me to die ... they guys supposed to die first that's the rules ...

Oh believe me there are definitely brands of Insulin that control the appetite. I know this for certain. Controlling the appetite will make the OP more full and less likely to want to snack. Very soon her wanting excess food (which is likely to put on pounds and increase her sugars), will be a habit broken.

okay the diet professional say you can eat everything in moderation...i have found that not to be true.....i think i can maintain....i just have to get up and do it...

yes the chocolate covered cherries was bad.....it is not a daily thing....

yea i understand i can buy about 3 years with it......o what the hell....i just need to walk and diet...and quit whining...okay 2 outta 3 aint bad

SB no I think you can get way more than that with them. And before you whackos comment it is not a cure. It is a workaround for type II. The removal procedure has been around since the mid 2000s and all of them have done fine. But is it is a risky procedure.

yes it it risky and i fought it due to my fear of being put under....well that is gone now...and i realize that 2/3 rd of people having it for this reason....relapse....it has something to do with the bacteria in the gut changing....i just hope they can figure it out....so we can take the bacteria pill...

soo we are back to the only cure being death?

I don't think it is death. You know a lot of the people that relapsed were the ones who thought it was ok to go back to a Coca Cola and cake diet right?

the reason i am asking...i am diabetic....hubby wanted me to have a by pass but i was too chicken....i lost a lot of weight and i am down to 134.4 lbs at 5 ft 10 inches...but now after living with this for a year or more...i am thinking i may want the by pass and just say fuck the diabetes for a few years...the new study shows that only about 35 % are still good after 3 years out..so now i have looked into the by pass...and i have found the diet pretty restrictive and been told with the by pass i cannot eat and drink at the same time nor can i have sugar again...i have also been told i would have to gain all the weight back plus a few lbs more to qualify for it..

Yeah no doctor in their right mind would give you a bypass. You're not overweight and at your height you're probably considered under weight. So obviously you can control your weight, better than most. Just keep up the good work.

Last edited:
the reason i am asking...i am diabetic....hubby wanted me to have a by pass but i was too chicken....i lost a lot of weight and i am down to 134.4 lbs at 5 ft 10 inches...but now after living with this for a year or more...i am thinking i may want the by pass and just say fuck the diabetes for a few years...the new study shows that only about 35 % are still good after 3 years out..so now i have looked into the by pass...and i have found the diet pretty restrictive and been told with the by pass i cannot eat and drink at the same time nor can i have sugar again...i have also been told i would have to gain all the weight back plus a few lbs more to qualify for it..

lets see... my sisters husbands sister had this done. Yes she lost weight.... and that was great.

however... she now has lymphoma....and her capacity to intake enough food for the calories to fight has been GREATLY diminished.

I know 3 people who have had this by-pass & it is far worse worse than they ever imagined. They went through & continue to endure hell with things like herniated linings & pain that no pain killer would touch including morphine. In every case they are worse off than before, even 5 years later they continue to get operated on to fix issues caused by this operation. One is even a RN Nurse & thought she knew all about it when I warned her about the problems the other 2 people I knew were having. Now she admits it was a very bad decision. It is now 3 years & many surgeries later & she is missing more work & in worse shape than before the by-pass.

I would not do it even if they told me it was a matter of life or death. I would take my chances.

I know 3 people who have had this by-pass & it is far worse worse than they ever imagined. They went through & continue to endure hell with things like herniated linings & pain that no pain killer would touch including morphine. In every case they are worse off than before, even 5 years later they continue to get operated on to fix issues caused by this operation. One is even a RN Nurse & thought she knew all about it when I warned her about the problems the other 2 people I knew were having. Now she admits it was a very bad decision. It is now 3 years & many surgeries later & she is missing more work & in worse shape than before the by-pass.

I would not do it even if they told me it was a matter of life or death. I would take my chances.

That's interesting, what type of complications were they having? I think a lot of people think it's a cure all to lose weight, but from my understanding you have to be 100 lbs. overweight before they will consider it.

I have been watching a show called my 600 lb. life,where one had the surgery and just kept eating and lost only 4 lbs. The doctor explained though you can't eat that much at one time doesn't mean you can't eat all day long. So the surgery didn't work on this one, as she just wouldn't stop eating,

When it comes down to it the OP is not that much overweight. The problem is she needs to control her eating of sweet foods which not only put on weight but are bad for her diabetes. A bypass is a last resort and yes, may get rid of diabetes almost immediately (provided the diabetes is relatively newly diagnosed in the past five years or so), but there are better ways. If the goodies are not put in the shopping cart then they can't be eaten. The OP needs to change her habits, find alternatives to sweet foods, and once in the swing of things it will be second nature to her. We all have times when we just want to pig-out, but we need to find why we need to, find alternatives to eat when we are at that stage, etc. Success breeds success and once we feel we have nipped the bad habits in the bud then it encourages us to continue with the healthy eating lifestyle.

Gastric bypass surgery leads to sustained weight loss...
icon_cool.gif

More evidence gastric bypass surgery leads to sustained weight loss
September 9, 2016 - Many people worry about regaining weight after getting gastric bypass surgery, a weight-loss procedure for very obese patients, but a new study suggests that most patients remain lighter 10 years later.
Looking at patients four years and 10 years after weight-loss surgery, and comparing them to obese peers who didn't have surgery, researchers found that most surgery patients lost significant amounts of body weight and kept it off. People undergoing Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) had the best weight loss results, losing 21 percent more than people who didn't have surgery, and 10 percent to 17 percent more than those who had weight-loss procedures known as sleeve gastrectomy and gastric banding. Lead author Matthew Maciejewski of Durham Veterans Affairs Medical Center in North Carolina noted that this study is the first to compare weight loss among surgery and non-surgery patients over the long term. "Our clinical colleagues have been pleasantly surprised that patients were able to maintain most of their weight loss out to 10 years," Maciejewski told Reuters Health by email. The study team used data on 1,787 male, mostly middle aged, severely obese veterans who underwent gastric bypass surgery between 2000 and 2011 and compared their weight loss with 5,305 similarly obese veterans who did not receive surgery.

The researchers also compared weight changes after four years among patients who had gastric bypass - which shrinks the stomach and bypasses part of the small intestine, so less food is digested - and others who had different weight loss surgeries. These included 379 veterans who got gastric sleeve surgery, which shrinks the size of the stomach by three quarters, and 246 patients who got an adjustable gastric band, also known as a lap band, which constricts the stomach to limit food intake. One year after gastric bypass surgery, patients lost 31 percent of their baseline weight while the non-surgical comparison group only lost 1 percent of their body weight. After 10 years, the gastric bypass group maintained most of the weight loss, keeping off nearly 29 percent of their original weight, which was an average loss of 41.3 kilograms (91 pounds). By comparison, the nonsurgical patients lost 7 percent of their baseline weight, or an average of less than 6.3 kg (14 lb).

Only 3.4 percent of bypass patients regained the weight they had lost 10 years after surgery. Almost 40 percent maintained a weight loss of 30 percent or greater. In the comparison to people who had other procedures, gastric bypass patients lost 28 percent of their body weight at the four-year mark while gastric sleeve patients lost 18 percent and lap-band patients lost less than 11 percent of their baseline weight. The researchers note that the gastric sleeve is a simpler surgery than gastric bypass and has recently grown in popularity, though this study suggests that it may not be as effective. When a person loses weight through dieting, the body begins to burn fewer calories, noted Dr. Jon Gould, chief of general surgery at the Medical College of Wisconsin, who published a comment on the study in JAMA Surgery. "This means that in order to maintain weight loss, a person who has been on a diet will have to eat fewer calories than someone who naturally weighs the same."

Weight loss surgery actually changes the hormones in the digestive system and causes the brain to feel less hungry and more full, leading to more sustainable long-term weight loss, he told Reuters Health. Even people who regain weight after surgery may have better health outcomes, however, Gould said. "Weight loss is just one of the important outcomes following bariatric surgery. Improved health and quality of life are also important," he said by email. "This study suggests that the vast majority of patients interested in bariatric surgery, especially gastric bypass, should be able to lose a significant amount of weight with gastric bypass and keep that weight off for a very long time," Maciejewski said.

More evidence gastric bypass surgery leads to sustained weight loss

Don't get a bypass unless you love years of extreme pain, repeated expensive operations, hospital stays & death. I know a few people who have had it done & it was all very bad.

Don't get a bypass unless you love years of extreme pain, repeated expensive operations, hospital stays & death. I know a few people who have had it done & it was all very bad.

If it was that bad...shouldn't they be banned ?

If it was that bad...shouldn't they be banned ?
My friend I warned last was a nurse. She went through hell & now she is dead at 49 years old.

As I asked...shouldn't they be banned.

Sounds pretty miserable.

Forum List

Back