anyone experienced a gifted child ?

eots

no fly list
Jan 6, 2007
IN TH HEARTS AND MINDS OF FREE MEN
My son started his first grade and I was concerned because since he was about 16 months I knew he was different I have two grown children and there was something very diffident and I wondered how school would responded to him everything seemed fine at first but because of some of his quirks they advised he be tested for autism.. because he was not really speaking in class and was introverted to the point they had no Idea what level he was at, he wasn't causing any trouble but was simply refusing to be anything but be a passive observer. the result of the assessment ...was however that he has..get this...suffering from

gifted child syndrome..I knew he could spell and read even if he wouldn't do it at school..but he actual tested at a grade 3 level in this spelling, reading, math skills...you think hearing you have a gifted child is some great news but it sure isnt presented that way, all I have heard so far is somber people telling me all he challenges he will face and all the therapy required...I am wondering if this is going to turn into years of trying to hammer a square peg in a round hole..To me he is amazing..magical is it really so important to teach him the joy of small talk, or how to feign emotion ? how to curb his desire to know everything about a subject of interest before moving to the next ? they say it requires an Intensive Behavior Intervention where he will have play therapist attend his class 3 hrs a day to encourage his participation and deal with his refusals transition from one task to another if the task in his mind is unfinished ,like leaving the library before he has finished his book or to do a task he decides is of no interest
he just simple says.. no sorry..to the request and the zones you out
but thats a big problem when operating in a group..
Mildly Gifted -- 115 to 129
Moderately Gifted -- 130 to 144
Highly Gifted -- 145 to 159
Exceptionally Gifted -- 160 to 179
Profoundly Gifted -- 180

however they say he fell into the high end of moderately gifted range so maybe he knows something they dont ?...my first reaction is to say ..he doesn't need to make small talk with the "dumb kids" if he doesn't want to !
and dont give him a book if you cant give him the time to finish it...and if he wants to learn everything he can about trains for two weeks straight let him !
is it important he learns how to function in the school environment or better to just remove him from the environment that doesn't work for him and school him at home and let him have the relationships with friends and family the people it comes natural with and allow him to have a free range to learn what he wants when he wants...right now its the thomas the train collection
he knows all the trains and their corresponding serial number !...today he excitedly informed me that ?"tick- a- long metal Thomas is the heaviest in the
Thomas series weighing in at 2.3 ounces equivalent to approx 65 grams Dad !...to which I replied..wow.. that's really interesting son......not...lol

LATE SPEECH AND GIFTED*
CHILDREN

http://www.nagcbritain.org.uk/file_upload/factsheets/447P65 Late Speech and Gifted Children.pdf

Last edited:
Some gifted people have no problem dealing with average people.

Others have a hell of time putting up with them.

Looks to me like your kid isn't going to march to the beat of anybody's drum but his own.

You're not going to change that, I suspect.

Why on earth would you want to?

It's those square pegs who cannot fit into society's round holes that typically advance society.

encourage him at home to enguage in converstations that include subject matters that will interest his peers.

In other words help him learn to enjoy engauging others about THEIR interests.

It will make him a happier person all arround.

A lot of six year olds are introverted... I would tell the teacher to back off and let some more time unfold so he has a chance to interact with his peers naturally. A smart kid will learn to socialize at his own comfort level and does not need to be immediately stigmatized just because he's smarter than most. Of course, encourage him to respect his teachers and his peers and to do the required work, etc... But, unless his behavior in class is disruptive, I say leave him to his own devices and just let him be himself...

When I was young
It seemed that life was so wonderful
A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical
And all the birds in the trees
Well they'd be singing so happily
Joyfully, playfully watching me
But then they send me away
To teach me how to be sensible
Logical, responsible, practical
And then they showed me a world
Where I could be so dependable
Clinical, intellectual, cynical
There are times when all the world's asleep
The questions run too deep for such a simple man
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned?
I know it sounds absurd but please tell me who I am
I say, "Now watch what you say or they're calling you a radical Liberal, fanatical, criminal?"
Won't you sign up your name?
We'd like to feel you're Acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable
Oh, ch-ch-check it out yeah
At night when all the world's asleep
The questions run so deep for such a simple man
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned?
I know it sounds absurd but please tell me who I am
Who I am, who I am, who I am
'Coz I'm feeling so illogical
D-d-digital
Oh, oh, oh, oh
Unbelievable
B-b-bloody marvelous

SUPERTRAMP - THE LOGICAL SONG LYRICS

when i was young
it seemed that life was so wonderful
a miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical
and all the birds in the trees
well they'd be singing so happily
joyfully, playfully watching me
but then they send me away
to teach me how to be sensible
logical, responsible, practical
and then they showed me a world
where i could be so dependable
clinical, intellectual, cynical
there are times when all the world's asleep
the questions run too deep for such a simple man
won't you please, please tell me what we've learned?
I know it sounds absurd but please tell me who i am
i say, "now watch what you say or they're calling you a radical liberal, fanatical, criminal?"
won't you sign up your name?
We'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable
oh, ch-ch-check it out yeah
at night when all the world's asleep
the questions run so deep for such a simple man
won't you please, please tell me what we've learned?
I know it sounds absurd but please tell me who i am
who i am, who i am, who i am
'coz i'm feeling so illogical
d-d-digital
oh, oh, oh, oh
unbelievable
b-b-bloody marvelous

supertramp - the logical song lyrics

Indeed

Even if you were to pull your child from Public school, you may still have quite a challenge ahead.

If you haven't done so already, ask about an IEP (Individualized Education Program). He may qualify, and it could make quite a difference in his education from here on out.

Do NOT listen to anyone who suggests you put him on medications i.e. Ritalin, etc.
BE INVOLVED every step of the way. You may find youself battling teachers and administrators. They aren't always on your side.

My sister has two boys with a form of Aspergers and for her it's been a constant struggle for years.
But she demanded and gotten IEP's for both, has never given them any meds, and is accutely involved on a daily basis.

Good luck. :thup:

And congrats! :)

teach him to enguage.

it will help him all his life.

Teaching someone to enguage others does not mean he has to lose his wonder of life.

Forum List

Back