Anyone ever walked their cat?

Having lived in the city so much, I always get my cats use to the leash as soon as I get them. Thus I can walk them to the park and in the woods far from the city, it's safer and nicer that way. Once they understand why they should use a leash, they're pretty easy, just make sure you let them run on a long one when they can.

Having lived in the city so much, I always get my cats use to the leash as soon as I get them.

This probably isn't a bad idea. You could ask a stranger to hold your cat for a second and then RUN!!! What a neat way to get rid of a cat. I'd try that where I live but I'm afraid most people would just laugh if they saw you with a cat on a leash. Out here in the sticks it would look a bit odd...

Why would you want to walk a cat?
There is too much traffic in my neighborhood for my cats to be outdoor cats. Plus I would not want them killing off songbirds. One of my cats needs the extra stimulation of being outdoors and being taken to the park. The other is content with the little outdoor world of the balcony.

Anyone ever walked their cat?

I spent $33 today on two harnesses and matching leashes

You're serious, right? I'm speechless...

Yep. Last night one of them came to get me while I was watching TV. Here they are:

$Cats.JPG

They're like our dogs now. Weird.

Why would you want to walk a cat?

They used to be indoor/outdoor cats until they started bringing in too many critters. They keep crying to go outside, so we decided to try them on a leash. I'm happy to say it's going very well now. They get excited when they see the harness because they know it's time to go outside. One almost acts like a dog. I'm sure the other cats in the neighborhood think of them as traitors! :lol:

Imagine what the other HUMAN neighbors think of the cat owners! :lol:
I've been asked several times how it has worked out by people who want to try the same with their cats.

My next project : teaching cat to ride in my bike basket.

just kidding

They used to be indoor/outdoor cats until they started bringing in too many critters. They keep crying to go outside, so we decided to try them on a leash. I'm happy to say it's going very well now. They get excited when they see the harness because they know it's time to go outside. One almost acts like a dog. I'm sure the other cats in the neighborhood think of them as traitors! :lol:

Imagine what the other HUMAN neighbors think of the cat owners! :lol:
I've been asked several times how it has worked out by people who want to try the same with their cats.

My next project : teaching cat to ride in my bike basket.

just kidding

Interesting thought. Maybe we can train cats to walk themselves off of cliffs?

:lol::lol:

I spent $33 today on two harnesses and matching leashes. The hardest part was getting the harness on. One of the cats (age 2) didn't have much trouble, and even did okay 'walking'. The other (age 3): total disaster. I'm hoping it'll get easier over time.

No one owns a cat.......Cats own people. Do you believe they rub against you for affection? No.....they simply rub up against your person to "mark" you as their property. Cats act as if they are doing you a favor by keeping your company.....they can do nothing wrong. Ever notice when a cat falls from a high perch...they simply look around as if declaring, "I intended to do that all along". No one can make a cat do something they are unwilling to do....and if you do, expect revenge, as it coming..whether its a nice little warm dropping in your favorite house shoes or the destruction of your favorite piece of furniture or clothing.....being the manipulating, arrogant little creatures they are, their motto is clear.....People are OK...every cat should own one or two.

Why Cats Rub Against Things: Felines Use Body Contact to Leave Pheremone Scent Messages | Suite101.com

Last edited:
well they are more independent than dogs, that's for sure. I once had a cat that thought he was a dog, loved the water, couldn't keep him out of the shower, loved the snow, hunted like a dog with no sneaking whatsoever (never caught anything either).

I never walked a cat on a leash but I did have a bunny leash. Can't stand to see bunnies in cages. One day I left him on the front lawn for a minute and when I looked out the kitchen window there was a eagle or huge hawk was getting ready for his attack run. I ran out there and that eagle seriously contemplated attacking anyway. Those birds are amazing.

My wife made the mistake of adopting a young stray that wondered into our yard, never knowing that it was abandoned because it was MOMMY that-a-way. A few weeks later......we were the proud owners of what now are 5 cats, outside of course, so it would be inhumane to have them de-clawed, but they have been fixed so another does not encounter the same problem. Between the vet visits...the food.....the front line meds, and providing shelter from the elements ..... they have become quite expensive. We are dare not take them to the pound....and all our efforts have failed at having someone else adopt them........meanwhile back on the farm, our small son has become attached.

If you walk out the door when its close to feeding time you get stampeded. They have made our yard dog a nervous wreck....the big baby, a 70 pound German Shepard whose sole duty is to guard the fenced in yard. She panics during feeding time...as she has been the victim of Gang Attacks on more than one occasion....thus she walks through the yard with a noticeable "twitch" in her neck from attempting to look 360 constantly....expecting to get ambushed. She would not harm a flea....but I fear her patience is getting thin, as she is actually beginning to defend her supper dish when they attempt to make a raid. Cats and dogs are like oil and water....they merely appear to mix because both are liquid but in reality one must always dominate the other.

I spent $33 today on two harnesses and matching leashes. The hardest part was getting the harness on. One of the cats (age 2) didn't have much trouble, and even did okay 'walking'. The other (age 3): total disaster. I'm hoping it'll get easier over time.

If I tried to put a leashe on my cat she would make my life hell for a week. I don't know if she has forgiven me for having my son.
SHe is an outdoor cat anyways, she stays within her boundaries and all is good.

Forum List

Back