Anyone ever home brew beer, or make moonshine?

I'm not looking to get all crazy with it and make special liquors, I just want some alcohol to make cocktails with on a rainy day without having to overpay for it at the store.

I home brew beer.

I have to start a new batch next weekend. Still haven't decided what it'll be yet

I know there's probably some experienced home brewers in here thinking Mr. Beer sucks, but I'm just starting out and learning with this. Knowing me I'll probably end up getting creative and picking up a bunch of different items that aren't actually for beer brewing but would be perfect items to use for the process.

If anyone wants to share the best places they get their ingredients from, that would be great.

I use Mr. Beer and have for years. The refill kits are handy although I have made some from mail order ingredients as well. Go for it dude. I don't think you will regret it.

Is it illegal?

I seem to remember that it's not illegal as long as you don't sell it or make over a certain amount. State laws vary of course, and I could be totally wrong.

You can make up to 200 gallons of beer so long as it's for personal consumption. The hard stuff is illegal.

I used to make homebrew as a young woman. It was very simple. I made it in a five-gallon bucket, with just a clean dish towel thrown over it while it brewed.

The ingredients were water, malt, sugar and bread yeast, that's all. You'd mix all this up, nice and warm to activate the yeast, then put it in the clean bucket and cover with the clean towel. Then just keep an eye on it. When the bubbles had reduced to three bubbles a minute, it was ready to bottle.

I recycled 12 oz. Michelob bottles, I'd find them at the dump and boil them to sanitize. Back then they were recappable bottles, not twist-top. Put a spoon of sugar in the bottom of each bottle, then siphon the brew in and cap it. Wait for it to clear. I think the entire process took about three weeks.

It wouldn't win any prizes, but it would knock you on your butt. One 12 ounce bottle and you'd be giggling and stuff. : )

So i distilled the other night.

Made a few mistakes and didn't have the pot sealed perfectly, but this crap is ridiculous. It burns your lips :lol:

The whole upstairs of my house had alcohol vapors for hours, I was buzzed before I even had enough to take a drink.

Anyone ever home brew beer, or make moonshine?
QUOTE]

I used to brew my own beer when I was young and poor and I couldn't afford to buy quality beer.
Two years into brewing I entered a few beers into the county fair. My Porter took first in class, my stout took second in class, my pale ale took second in class. The guy that had the pale ale that beat me took best in show, my stout took 2nd in show, my pale ale took 3rd in show and my porter took 4th in show.
I only entered the three beers an out of over 1000 entries I took 3 of the top 4 places.

Incidentally I've quit drinking. I'm a couple weeks in now.

I don't see it lasting long though.

Still not drinking. Went to a local wing night the other night and killed about 30 wings, and didn't drink a drop of beer. This is crazy. I don't know me anymore.

Forum List

Back