Anyone ever home brew beer, or make moonshine?

Paulie

Diamond Member
May 19, 2007
I'm doing both right now for the first time. Beer will be bottled tomorrow, and the moonshine "mash", which is just water, corn meal, sugar, and yeast, is fermenting now and will be distilled probably monday night.

I want to try to home brew, but there's always something else that I need to spend my money on for the family. And I want to get a quality kit which is more expensive. So I haven't bought one yet.

The temp of the mash in the boiler is critical to making moonshine. Above the boiling point of alcohol but under the boiling point of water.

I do not always drink beer

But when I do, I drink my own.

A pale ale that smacks of something you find in Canada. I also brew a semi-dark german weizenbier.

Gonna hafta brew up some more now. Getting thirsty.

I want to try to home brew, but there's always something else that I need to spend my money on for the family. And I want to get a quality kit which is more expensive. So I haven't bought one yet.

I saw the Mr. Beer kit sitting on the shelf at Kmart one day and I had always thought about wanting to do it so I just said fuck it and bought it. It was like $52. It's the premier kit that comes with everything you need to make about 2 gallons, bottles and all. And it's all reusable so from there on you just have to buy ingredient refill kits of whatever other flavors you want to make.

You should do it, because if you buy beer regularly anyway this kit will pay for itself immediately. You can get ingredient kits that clone your favorite commercial beers too. There's a refill kit for my favorite beer Yuengling for about $35 that makes 5 gallons. That ends up being about half the cost compared to retail.

The kicker is that it's about a 2 week process, so with 2 gallons per brew you gotta make a little less than a case worth of beer last for 2 weeks. I'm thinking about taking one of those water cooler bottles and doing my next brew in there and just upping the ingredients to make twice as much at a time. I don't drink all that much, but I'll definitely go through more than 21 beers over 2 weeks, that's only a little over a beer per day.

I home brew beer.

I have to start a new batch next weekend. Still haven't decided what it'll be yet

I home brew beer.

I have to start a new batch next weekend. Still haven't decided what it'll be yet

I know there's probably some experienced home brewers in here thinking Mr. Beer sucks, but I'm just starting out and learning with this. Knowing me I'll probably end up getting creative and picking up a bunch of different items that aren't actually for beer brewing but would be perfect items to use for the process.

If anyone wants to share the best places they get their ingredients from, that would be great.

I saw the Mr. Beer kit sitting on the shelf at Kmart one day and I had always thought about wanting to do it so I just said fuck it and bought it. It was like $52. It's the premier kit that comes with everything you need to make about 2 gallons, bottles and all. And it's all reusable so from there on you just have to buy ingredient refill kits of whatever other flavors you want to make.

You should do it, because if you buy beer regularly anyway this kit will pay for itself immediately. You can get ingredient kits that clone your favorite commercial beers too. There's a refill kit for my favorite beer Yuengling for about $35 that makes 5 gallons. That ends up being about half the cost compared to retail.

The kicker is that it's about a 2 week process, so with 2 gallons per brew you gotta make a little less than a case worth of beer last for 2 weeks. I'm thinking about taking one of those water cooler bottles and doing my next brew in there and just upping the ingredients to make twice as much at a time. I don't drink all that much, but I'll definitely go through more than 21 beers over 2 weeks, that's only a little over a beer per day.

Here's the one I want to get:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Brew-gallon-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000XJOHWK/ref=tag_stp_s2f_edpp_beer_kit"]http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Brew-gallon-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000XJOHWK/ref=tag_stp_s2f_edpp_beer_kit[/ame]

I home brew beer.

I know there's probably some experienced home brewers in here thinking Mr. Beer sucks, but I'm just starting out and learning with this. Knowing me I'll probably end up getting creative and picking up a bunch of different items that aren't actually for beer brewing but would be perfect items to use for the process.

If anyone wants to share the best places they get their ingredients from, that would be great.

I started with a Mr Beer.

I made some delicious brew with it. I lean towards the unmalted wheats and reds

Go for it and have fun.

Last edited:
Just looked around on Amazon, Mr. Beer kits are going for around $40. I might buy one to start out then purchase that big kit later.

Just looked around on Amazon, Mr. Beer kits are going for around $40. I might buy one to start out then purchase that big kit later.

I think a Mr Beer is a great way to start out.
You get the hang of making the wort and you learn how to keep things clean which is the most important thing.

Since you make small batches you can try a lot of different things relatively quickly.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Brew-gallon-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000XJOHWK/ref=tag_stp_s2f_edpp_beer_kit"]http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Brew-gallon-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000XJOHWK/ref=tag_stp_s2f_edpp_beer_kit[/ame]

That's a sweet kit. It would take a few brews before it paid for itself, but the point is that it eventually does. Buying beer retail never will.

Did you ever get your treesicksty?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Brew-gallon-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000XJOHWK/ref=tag_stp_s2f_edpp_beer_kit]Amazon.com: Superior Home Brew Beer Kit with 7.5 gallon Stainless Steel Stock Pot: Everything Else[/ame]

That's a sweet kit. It would take a few brews before it paid for itself, but the point is that it eventually does. Buying beer retail never will.

Nope. No treesicksty.

Kids needed clothes. I told my wife to just let them run around naked...but nooooooo.

Yeah I probably overpaid a little at Kmart, but it was an impulse buy, and I've wasted money on way worse.

Yeah I probably overpaid a little at Kmart, but it was an impulse buy, and I've wasted money on way worse.

I think you still got a good deal. The ones I was looking at didn't come with bottles and you had to pay for shipping.

Nope. No treesicksty.

Kids needed clothes. I told my wife to just let them run around naked...but nooooooo.

They had the bundle package that included the kinect for $200 on black friday at Best Buy and Toys R Us. I went out after having dinner on Thanksgiving thinking there's no way it'll be that packed since I'm sure most people would prefer to be with their families......

I don't have to continue, do I? :rolleyes: :lol:

Nope. No treesicksty.

They had the bundle package that included the kinect for $200 on black friday at Best Buy and Toys R Us. I went out after having dinner on Thanksgiving thinking there's no way it'll be that packed since I'm sure most people would prefer to be with their families......

I didn't even attempt it. I just always get pissed off.

Nope. No treesicksty.

I didn't even attempt it. I just always get pissed off.

Dude, the lines were so long that they basically wrapped all the way around the side of the building at Best Buy and around the back of the strip mall it's in. There were tents set up that I guess people stayed overnight in because I was there the day before and they weren't there yet.

Toys R Us down the street had a line just as long but no tents.

I just went home. I can't imagine any material item being that important that you'd wait in a line for hours on end, much less overnight, with a bunch of rabid retard consumers. It takes a special kind of idiot for that.

Forum List

Back