Anyone ever had a professor push a political idealogy?

My degrees are in sociology, political science, history, and education. Yes, many of my professors pushed an agenda, only one of them graded down if students disagreed and backed it up. The one who didn't was in the 70's and tried to require attendance at a political rally or lose a full grade. I protested within the department and grade was not harmed.

See that? Action speaks louder than words.

I read this all the time, and I never had a single professor talk up a particular candidate or party or idealogy.

I once had one professor in geology show evidence of global warming based on his field research, however he never said a word about whether or not it was man-made. So I guess that's the closest thing you could get into spinning whether or not he pushed a particular party.

What about you guys? I went to Ohio State just as an fyi, any of you ever experienced this?

Not so much an specific candidates more of just an agenda and really whole courses devoted to it. At the college I went to there were feminism classes, animal rights classes, etc. Instructions on what papers had to be about, things like that.

So how's anyone supposed to know that's true? I had a feeling the original question was going to bring about a lot of, er, stories. I'm not saying your story isn't true, but because it can't be verified, must be taken with a grain of salt, especially since you injected your own bias in the telling.

OK I'll give you that.
Now please try to explain why she was talking about the same type of stuff as right here A letter to my students « The Berkeley Blog without my bias or story that may or may not be true. I do believe that this professor is very clear about his left leaning ideas. They tend to run in the same direction as the professors at University of Oregon - Eugene, Oregon.

I don't know about your niece's perception, but I read the letter by the Professor of Public Policy, and he was right-on. One would think that students should be made aware of how far their educational opportunities have sunk because of politicking, and be very worried about it.

I agree with most of those in the comment section of the Article. I find them to be very educated and thoughtful remarks. Thanks ~

So how's anyone supposed to know that's true? I had a feeling the original question was going to bring about a lot of, er, stories. I'm not saying your story isn't true, but because it can't be verified, must be taken with a grain of salt, especially since you injected your own bias in the telling.

OK I'll give you that.
Now please try to explain why she was talking about the same type of stuff as right here A letter to my students « The Berkeley Blog without my bias or story that may or may not be true. I do believe that this professor is very clear about his left leaning ideas. They tend to run in the same direction as the professors at University of Oregon - Eugene, Oregon.

I don't know about your niece's perception, but I read the letter by the Professor of Public Policy, and he was right-on. One would think that students should be made aware of how far their educational opportunities have sunk because of politicking, and be very worried about it.

Yes, the article. Here are some great snippets from the professor's article to his students.

The bad news is that you have been the victims of a terrible swindle, denied an inheritance you deserve by contract and by your merits. And you aren’t the only ones; victims of this ripoff include the students who were on your left and on your right in high school but didn’t get into Cal, a whole generation stiffed by mine. This letter is an apology, and more usefully, perhaps a signal to start demanding what’s been taken from you so you can pass it on with interest.

This deal held until about thirty years ago, when for a variety of reasons, California voters realized that while they had done very well from the existing contract, they could do even better by walking away from their obligations and spending what they had inherited on themselves. “My kids are finished with school; why should I pay taxes for someone else’s? Posterity never did anything for me!” An army of fake ‘leaders’ sprang up to pull the moral and fiscal wool over their eyes, and again and again, your parents and their parents lashed out at government (as though there were something else that could replace it) with tax limits, term limits, safe districts, throw-away-the-key imprisonment no matter the cost, smoke-and-mirrors budgeting, and a rule never to use the words taxes and services in the same paragraph.

If you read what your elected officials say about the state today, you’ll see things like “California can’t afford” this or that basic government function, and that “we need to make hard choices” to shut down one or another public service, or starve it even more (like your university). Can’t afford? The budget deficit that’s paralyzing Sacramento is about $500 per person; add another $500 to get back to a public sector we don’t have to be ashamed of, and our average income is almost forty times that. Of course we can afford a government that actually works: the fact is that your parents have simply chosen not to have it.

A quarter of your classmates didn’t finish high school, discouraged and defeated; but they didn’t leave the planet, even if you don’t run into them in the gated community you will be tempted to hide out in. They have to eat just like you, and they aren’t equipped to do their share of the work, so you will have to support them.

You need to have a very tough talk with your parents, who are still voting;
you can’t save your children by yourselves. Equally important, you need to start talking to each other. It’s not fair, and you have every reason (except a good one) to keep what you can for yourselves with another couple of decades of mean-spirited tax-cutting and public sector decline.

Of course, if you are a liberal, you will love the article.

By the way, if it weren't for educating the illegals in CA, the state would spend more per pupil than any state in the countr.

Last edited:
I read this all the time, and I never had a single professor talk up a particular candidate or party or idealogy.

I once had one professor in geology show evidence of global warming based on his field research, however he never said a word about whether or not it was man-made. So I guess that's the closest thing you could get into spinning whether or not he pushed a particular party.

What about you guys? I went to Ohio State just as an fyi, any of you ever experienced this?

Not so much an specific candidates more of just an agenda and really whole courses devoted to it. At the college I went to there were feminism classes, animal rights classes, etc. Instructions on what papers had to be about, things like that.

That's too general. Feminism in one instance could mean right to vote, everyone agrees with that. Animal rights could mean being against dog-fighting, everyone agrees with that.

That's not pushing a certain side's agenda unless the teachers themselves do it, but the subject isn't inherently for one side or the other.

That's too general. Feminism in one instance could mean right to vote, everyone agrees with that. Animal rights could mean being against dog-fighting, everyone agrees with that.

That's not pushing a certain side's agenda unless the teachers themselves do it, but the subject isn't inherently for one side or the other.

Liberals would like to believe that they have cornered the market on anything "good".

The fact that most of them believe that being conservative means you are anti-environment is a case in point.

Forum List

Back