Anyone ever had a professor push a political idealogy?

Dr.Drock

Aug 19, 2009
I read this all the time, and I never had a single professor talk up a particular candidate or party or idealogy.

I once had one professor in geology show evidence of global warming based on his field research, however he never said a word about whether or not it was man-made. So I guess that's the closest thing you could get into spinning whether or not he pushed a particular party.

What about you guys? I went to Ohio State just as an fyi, any of you ever experienced this?

Happened in HS, twice.

One teacher blathered on and on about how great Carter was and the Reagan was going to ruin everything.

Another boasted about how he dodged the draft, by sighing up for ROTC and after his number passed, breaking into the ROTC office, stole their copy of his contract then returned the next day to burn both copies in front of "The Man".

My "formal" education was in the Navy. We didn't have professors.

Depends on what you'd classify as political ideology.

I can say with complete honesty, I never encountered is in Grad School despite the fact many of my professors were quite liberal. Of course my Ph'D is in Mathematics :eusa_shhh:

In undergraduate, I encountered some of it in history, specifically when you get into things like the My Lai Massacre, the CIA overthrowing governments in Latin America, etc. I didn't particularly mind it though as those topics most definitely ARE politically charged and the professors in question were open to debate on it, as long as you provided support for your thesis.

The real issue you'll see in this thread is that folks will consider anything they disagree with as political ideology. For example, evolution. The other issue is that for some topics, you do have to get into the political ideology. In my History of Mathematics course, I warn the students going in that if you're a devout Christian, as I myself am, there are going to be hard days in the class. The horrific murder of Hypatia by Christian mobs is an easy topic to turn political, and the murder itself was politically motivated.

Happened in HS, twice.

One teacher blathered on and on about how great Carter was and the Reagan was going to ruin everything.

Another boasted about how he dodged the draft, by sighing up for ROTC and after his number passed, breaking into the ROTC office, stole their copy of his contract then returned the next day to burn both copies in front of "The Man".

My "formal" education was in the Navy. We didn't have professors.

I'm not trying to dismiss what you're saying, but I mean college only. I hear people say college professors are always pushing idealogies all over the place and I never had a shred of that.

I never had one that did.

My sons girlfriend had a government teacher in HS that would not allow anything but Bush whorship in the class and it was during the 2004 election.

She had Bush stuff all over the walls and allowed nothing Kerry related to be on the walls.

The woman should not have been teaching anything.

I'm not trying to dismiss what you're saying, but I mean college only. I hear people say college professors are always pushing idealogies all over the place and I never had a shred of that.

I think you only see that in topics that lend themselves to political discourse, and only in Junior or Senior level courses. The fact of the matter is, if you're teaching a Freshman or Sophomore level course you barely have enough time to cover the topics the students will need for the next course in the line, and you definitely don't have time for political diatribes.

Note, I am not saying it never happens, but in my experience its pretty rare, and generally limited to topics that you know going in are political.

I think you only see that in topics that lend themselves to political discourse, and only in Junior or Senior level courses. The fact of the matter is, if you're teaching a Freshman or Sophomore level course you barely have enough time to cover the topics the students will need for the next course in the line, and you definitely don't have time for political diatribes.

Note, I am not saying it never happens, but in my experience its pretty rare, and generally limited to topics that you know going in are political.

I was in political courses, government courses and had other courses that we often discussed current events, I never once heard one professor push a political idealogy.

I just want to see if it happens at other colleges, OSU was an enormous college so it's probably a pretty good example but who knows maybe at Texas or Oregon it's different.

The Carter rant happened (ironically considering your degree) in my Soph busness math class. The other occured in my American History class. He passed over the Korean war and dragged out the VN war for weeks. we could tell he couldn't wait to get to that part.

I read this all the time, and I never had a single professor talk up a particular candidate or party or idealogy.

I once had one professor in geology show evidence of global warming based on his field research, however he never said a word about whether or not it was man-made. So I guess that's the closest thing you could get into spinning whether or not he pushed a particular party.

What about you guys? I went to Ohio State just as an fyi, any of you ever experienced this?

Sure, but in all fairness it was a class on "Post Bolshevik Communism".. the guy was a flaming Commie, go figure.

I had an accounting professor that was just stuck on pushing debits and credits. It got old fast.

I had an accounting professor that was just stuck on pushing debits and credits. It got old fast.

I would've given anything for my accounting professors to spend their time pushing any political idealogue rather than that crap lol.

Can't really recall but my degree was in geology, twenty years ago. One of my profs was just warming up to the plate tectonics theory, lol. As far as core curriculum, I never paid attention to what they were saying anyway. I was usually a million miles away in another world.

Yes, the Head of the Nursing Dept at my college was VERY dictatorial and if you did not meet her conservative standards in dress, behavior, and political attitude, you washed out. This was the early-mid 70s tho. And I wasn't a Nursing major....but it was a big Nursing school.

I would've given anything for my accounting professors to spend their time pushing any political idealogue rather than that crap lol.

I hear ya... and I'm a CPA. Didn't get sexy until Consolidations and whatnot.

:lol:

I bet talk of Consolidations really brings the lady's around, Soggy! Hot, sexy Consolidation talk will hook 'em every time.:))

I hear ya... and I'm a CPA. Didn't get sexy until Consolidations and whatnot.

:lol:

Well yeah, consolidations get us all feeling randy lol.

Kudos on the CPA, had a few friends get those and while they were studying/failing exam after exam they all seemed like they were having aneurysms.

I had a social professor who defended feminism, and when I objected to one of his points, I was met with three class mates after class reading me the riot act.

I was taking a speech class on a second floor, which had a male & female bathrooms. The college decided to make both bathrooms for females & guys could choogey down stairs to a male restroom.

Then there was the agricultural class dedicated to females, who got free lap tops for taking the course. Not the males.

And I had a lizzy psychology teacher (good looking gal) who tended to woo the girls in class, and ignore the males. We had some good arguments over smoking.

I had an antropology proffessor who loved molesting me, as much as I enjoyed it. Every encounter was an opportunity for her to pat or pinch my ass, or bush my penis. It was a wonder I learned anything. I think she was married. She never did call me to her office, so I assume it was tease.

I had a social professor who defended feminism, and when I objected to one of his points, I was met with three class mates after class reading me the riot act.

I was taking a speech class on a second floor, which had a male & female bathrooms. The college decided to make both bathrooms for females & guys could choogey down stairs to a male restroom.

Then there was the agricultural class dedicated to females, who got free lap tops for taking the course. Not the males.

And I had a lizzy psychology teacher (good looking gal) who tended to woo the girls in class, and ignore the males. We had some good arguments over smoking.

Feminism is just a broad way of saying you want men and women to have equal rights, I dunno how anyone could be against that in 2011.

I took a women's study course in college too, lots of hot broads in there lol, but I had the same thing of getting unfair treatment cuz I was a dude from the female teacher. Essentially everyone who went to the class got an A and I got an A- so I didn't throw too much of a fit.

Forum List

Back