Anyone ever had a professor push a political idealogy?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Dr.Drock, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    I read this all the time, and I never had a single professor talk up a particular candidate or party or idealogy.

I once had one professor in geology show evidence of global warming based on his field research, however he never said a word about whether or not it was man-made. So I guess that's the closest thing you could get into spinning whether or not he pushed a particular party.

What about you guys? I went to Ohio State just as an fyi, any of you ever experienced this?

2. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    Happened in HS, twice.

One teacher blathered on and on about how great Carter was and the Reagan was going to ruin everything.

Another boasted about how he dodged the draft, by sighing up for ROTC and after his number passed, breaking into the ROTC office, stole their copy of his contract then returned the next day to burn both copies in front of "The Man".

My "formal" education was in the Navy. We didn't have professors.

3. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,052
    Depends on what you'd classify as political ideology.

I can say with complete honesty, I never encountered is in Grad School despite the fact many of my professors were quite liberal. Of course my Ph'D is in Mathematics :eusa_shhh:

In undergraduate, I encountered some of it in history, specifically when you get into things like the My Lai Massacre, the CIA overthrowing governments in Latin America, etc. I didn't particularly mind it though as those topics most definitely ARE politically charged and the professors in question were open to debate on it, as long as you provided support for your thesis.

The real issue you'll see in this thread is that folks will consider anything they disagree with as political ideology. For example, evolution. The other issue is that for some topics, you do have to get into the political ideology. In my History of Mathematics course, I warn the students going in that if you're a devout Christian, as I myself am, there are going to be hard days in the class. The horrific murder of Hypatia by Christian mobs is an easy topic to turn political, and the murder itself was politically motivated.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Naah, just preachers.

5. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    I'm not trying to dismiss what you're saying, but I mean college only. I hear people say college professors are always pushing idealogies all over the place and I never had a shred of that.

6. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    I never had one that did.

My sons girlfriend had a government teacher in HS that would not allow anything but Bush whorship in the class and it was during the 2004 election.

She had Bush stuff all over the walls and allowed nothing Kerry related to be on the walls.

The woman should not have been teaching anything.

7. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,052
    I think you only see that in topics that lend themselves to political discourse, and only in Junior or Senior level courses. The fact of the matter is, if you're teaching a Freshman or Sophomore level course you barely have enough time to cover the topics the students will need for the next course in the line, and you definitely don't have time for political diatribes.

Note, I am not saying it never happens, but in my experience its pretty rare, and generally limited to topics that you know going in are political.

8. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    I was in political courses, government courses and had other courses that we often discussed current events, I never once heard one professor push a political idealogy.

I just want to see if it happens at other colleges, OSU was an enormous college so it's probably a pretty good example but who knows maybe at Texas or Oregon it's different.

9. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    The Carter rant happened (ironically considering your degree) in my Soph busness math class. The other occured in my American History class. He passed over the Korean war and dragged out the VN war for weeks. we could tell he couldn't wait to get to that part.

10. Soggy in NOLA

Soggy in NOLA Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,450
    Sure, but in all fairness it was a class on "Post Bolshevik Communism".. the guy was a flaming Commie, go figure.