Anyone Ever Dealt With Turf Toe?

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I strained the ligament in my big toe on my left foot doing a kick when I was sparring with someone at the gym back in May. It's been over four months and I'm still suffering with pain in that toe, especially after I train and if I go running it makes it even worse the next couple of days. I recently took a month off of training and running and it felt about 90% healed, but when I started up again the inflammation and pain have come back.

Has anyone ever dealt with this before? Already went to my regular doctor and a podiatrist and they really didn't do anything except send me a big bill.

I strained the ligament in my big toe on my left foot doing a kick when I was sparring with someone at the gym back in May. It's been over four months and I'm still suffering with pain in that toe, especially after I train and if I go running it makes it even worse the next couple of days. I recently took a month off of training and running and it felt about 90% healed, but when I started up again the inflammation and pain have come back.

Has anyone ever dealt with this before? Already went to my regular doctor and a podiatrist and they really didn't do anything except send me a big bill.

I would suggest getting a referral to see an orthopedic doc it it's been over four months.

I did it several times when practicing field goals...it takes some time to get it to heal, maybe 6 months to a years..Ice it...inflammation is no good with heat...

I had a foot injury when I was a kid and I had lingering pain which passed the uncomfortable threshold for about 2 years and it took a full 5 or 6 years for all discomfort to vanish.

I looked up turf toes and read the comments of people suffering from the condition and came across this. This person says this worked for him. Here it is what he said:

Ryne Galle · Works at REI

I have found a great treatment for turf toe. I bought the Evoshield Multi-use Protection product and, coupled with Vibram Five Fingers, I successfully treated my turf toe injury for a mere $100. The product by itself was very helpful but requires a wrap to keep it in place while playing sports. Wearing the toe guard with the five fingers for everyday purposes not only helped heal my injury, it strengthened my feet in the process. Pass this info on, please. I tried many things to treat this injury and this was amazing.

Here is the update. I found a demonstration of the product he is speaking about on youtube. You can see it here. There are no comments yet on the youtube video for people who have tried the product but this is the story on it here:

Last edited:
Its actually not a "strain". Its a sprain.

Look up taping it. That is what finally worked for me. I use taping for a lot of different kinds of things. Works much better than you would think. I didn't look but You Tube and/or the mfgrs will often have instructions. Look for Kinesio tape. Good stuff.

Also, you can splint it but, to my knowledge, that isn't done very often.

I've been taping it when I train and icing it and all that stuff. It's only a temporary fix. It doesn't seem to permanently go away.

Look up taping it. That is what finally worked for me. I use taping for a lot of different kinds of things. Works much better than you would think. I didn't look but You Tube and/or the mfgrs will often have instructions. Look for Kinesio tape. Good stuff.

I believe that is the idea behind the evoshield only it perfect conforms to the shape of his toe. I'm wondering if anyone in his gym told him about it. How is your foot, Luddly? Are you all healed up now?

I've been taping it when I train and icing it and all that stuff. It's only a temporary fix. It doesn't seem to permanently go away.

I prayed about this last night. I know you do not believe in God but it does not mean you cannot receive an answer to prayer if I pray for you. So let's test God on this and see if Jesus can heal. Get some olive oil and anoint your toe with some of it. Tell him you'd like him to heal your toe, that you don't believe and ask him to help your unbelief and I'm going to pray for you and your toe is going to be completely healed. That is what is going to happen. Alright? Just do it and God will do the rest. I'm going to go pray. You'll be amazed at what Jesus can do for that toe of yours.
@don'tTazMeBro

I believe that is the idea behind the evoshield only it perfect conforms to the shape of his toe. I'm wondering if anyone in his gym told him about it. How is your foot, Luddly? Are you all healed up now?

Turned out there were 4 fractures, including the fibula. I was having a lot of pain, got an xray that showed two of the fractures weren't healing. I'm trying to follow doctor's orders but its hard to stay off of it.

Thanks very much for asking.

Alright I am going to pray that those two fractures be healed completely and grow back perfectly. I'll do that today.

The NFL uses a stiff soled shoe to prevent the toe from flexing while it heals.

Foot injuries can take a really long time to heal. Wrap it or do whatever you do to provide it with support. I'd completely stop doing whatever you were doing that injured it in the first place, and hurts it now, for a good long time. Try to figure out an alternate activity that doesn't specifically isolate that area for impact/strain...

I've had toe and foot injuries, and they can take years to come back 100 percent, even when you're young and fit.

Forum List

Back