Anyone ever cut your fingertip off

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
while making supper?

seriously... I feel like a total idiot- how does one not realize your body is between the knife and the cutting board? Or not realize you've removed part of yourself until you wonder why the potatoes are so wet?

SmileyFacepalm.png

while making supper?

seriously... I feel like a total idiot- how does one not realize your body is between the knife and the cutting board? Or not realize you've removed part of yourself until you wonder why the potatoes are so wet?

SmileyFacepalm.png

If anyone ever did that to me, I'd be upset.

OUCH!
Nope still got all parts.
However a friend took 2 fingers off at the first knuckle last week in a corn auger.
Quite stupid to stick his fingers in there.
Of course he immediately realized that.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
you dont literally chop off a part...you slice off the very finger tip....its all red and raw..and a pain in the ass to deal with....o yea i had to toss the chicken....you bleed badly and quickly....and you cuss for a hot minute before you decide to risk and cuss some more....lots of cussing

I did, believe it or not, it is quite easy with a good knife. you cannot even tell it was cut off any longer, I never found it :( I remember it burned more than hurt.

I've never cut the tip of my finger off but I've done something really stupid... I used to yell at my first wife all the time for chopping (stabbing motion) frozen meat with a butcher knife. I had some shoulder surgery and was in a sling so I thought I would fix supper and have it ready when she came home from work. I was stabbing a block of frozen hamburger to break it up before I started to cook it and I pinned my left hand pointer finger to the cutting board by stabbing it with the butcher knife. The knife went in just about the middle of my finger (just above the knuckle) and all the way through my finger. I had to pull the knife out of the wooden cutting board before I could pull if out of my finger. It was a 4 stitch deal at the ER. My wife was pissed cause I did it after warning her so many time not to chop frozen meat with a butcher knife.

:tongue: I am sure you are saying that in tongue and cheek :lol:

As a natural occurrence

A certain amount of self-cannibalism occurs unwittingly, as the body consumes dead cells from the tongue and cheeks. Ingesting one's own blood from an unintentional lesion such as a nose-bleed or an ulcer is clearly not intentional harvesting and consequently not considered cannibalistic.

Did that many years ago with a meat cleaver, I can't remember how many stitches it took to sew it back on. Weird thing is it didn't hurt when I did it but it sure as hell hurt for the next few days. I was surprised when they gave me percocet for it, I don't even think I had the prescription filled.

while making supper?

SmileyFacepalm.png

Ouch. I had a similar experience. I worked in Food Service while going to Law School. Got a gig playing night manager at an on campus Rathskeller. We served cold cut-style sandwiches and Chicken Wings (it was in Buffalo, after all) and wines and beer. Short on staff one fine night, I was playing cook in the back kitchen area.

Slicing some salami, the casing had been rolled back and rolled up on top. But, this was kind of unstable for the electric slicer's support to hold (my stupidity was in not just cutting off the excess casing). So, the salami slipped as I was slicing it, and I instinctively went to grab for it. Mistake. The very sharp running blade took off a corner of my middle finger tip. Damn thing (with a bit-o-nail still visibly attached) landed IN the freshly cut slices, too! My co-worker and pal picked it up and asked me if I'd be needing "this." Oh, ha fucking ha.

I got taken by campus cops to a local medical clinic where an Agent of the North Koreans (his NOC was playing "doctor") applied a little something special to my still bleeding fingertip, advising me first that it "might sting a little." Holy SHIT! It was some cauterizing agent applied to raw open flesh and exposed nerves.

To this day if I flip you off left-handed, it just doesn't look quite right.

You're supposed to curl your finger tips under and rest the knife blade against your knuckles. That way your finger tips will never be under the blade.

I know this... I watch cooking shows... :D

Forum List

Back