Anyone ever canvassed? Directed a campaign? Worked in an office?

Kaosugoji

Rookie
Sep 7, 2010
Hey all,

I'm currently tied up in a journalistic project about the canvassing experience. In this article I want to offer readers a lavish, detailed portrait of what full-time canvassers do day-to-day, complete with anecdotes about interesting experiences on the field and explorations of what drives canvassers to succeed at the work they do despite its challenges. I've gotten some great stories detailing what people go through when they're out in the field going door-to-door, but I've found the picture of life in a field office to be a little fragmented in my notes. In the interest of having something comprehensive, I really don't want to skimp on that aspect of the NPO experience.

Thus I'm throwing a couple questions out for the people who have gone door-to-door, the people who do office work for canvassing organizations, and the people who put these operations together (directors/assistant directors).

General: When you walk into a field office, what kind of atmosphere are you thrown into? Who's around you doing what, and where? What kind of energy do you feel?

For door-to-door workers: What's the extent of your interactions with your directors/ office staff? Who do you most often report to? Who do you hand your pledges/donations over to and how is your progress checked? When is camaraderie among your team members the strongest? (when's your best chance to talk to them)

For directing staff: What activities are part of your job description? How much time do you spend in the field vs. in the office? What is the nature of your administrative duties? What are the most effective ways of managing staff? What is the nature of your interactions with team members in the field? Who do you find yourself talking to most?

Specifics help a great deal.

Thanks so much!

Forum List

Back