Anyone else scared to fly? Confessions of a drama queen

dmp said:
Blah... It's that time of year again...I'm going thru the SAME rush of emotions.

In fact, Right this very second I can picture the pain my little girl would go through as they dropped what was left of her parents into the ground. I can see her face. I can see her tears. I can hear the sound of her sobs as she curls up in her bed, hugging her build-a-bear and a photo of her mother and Me.

Unfreakinbelievable. I'm seriously in full teared-up mode right now. :(

I HATE being such a drama queen.

It's just four flights. Out of THOUSANDS which will happen this year.

We leave Thursday night.

If it helps, my dad flies so much that I don't know when he's on the ground and when he's in the air. Flying is safer than driving your 8 (at least on the open road)

I actually watched planes land at Reagan this past weekend, there was a heavy cross breeze and the planes were sliding diagonally to the runway to land. You would think that would lead to some rough landings, but every one was perfect and smooth.

Don't worry so much :)

The ClayTaurus said:
If it helps, my dad flies so much that I don't know when he's on the ground and when he's in the air. Flying is safer than driving your 8 (at least on the open road)

I actually watched planes land at Reagan this past weekend, there was a heavy cross breeze and the planes were sliding diagonally to the runway to land. You would think that would lead to some rough landings, but every one was perfect and smooth.

Don't worry so much :)
I loved to fly into Reagan (Washington National) lots of fun maneuvering to avoid all the Prohibited and restricted airspace, especially on takeoff to the North. :)

San Diego is fun too. You approach the airport and fly inbetween the high-rises.

You can actually look out your window and see the people in the buildings watching you fly by.

Also...there is a service road at the airport in Ft. Lauderdale that you can park on and stand at the end of the runway. The plans fly over you so low that you can read the numbers on the bottom of the plane.

Just way toooooo cool.

Thanks folks - I 'know' all this stuff...I just don't 'feel it'..ya know?

I am 'sense' oriented. (sigh). I tell myself things will be fine...but I won't 'feel' fine until I pull into the lot and see The Hampton:

hampton.jpg

Mr. P said:
I loved to fly into Reagan (Washington National) lots of fun maneuvering to avoid all the Prohibited and restricted airspace, especially on takeoff to the North. :)

I don't think there is much takeoff to the North... most of it seemed to be to the south.

Here, enjoy this video.

Mr. P said:
It all depends on the day Clay,the weather and wind dictate. I made plenty of takeoffs to the North.

Interesting. I wonder if, with all the 9-11 stuff, things have changed. I've yet to see or be on a plane that would take off to the North in the last 2 years.

The ClayTaurus said:
Interesting. I wonder if, with all the 9-11 stuff, things have changed. I've yet to see or be on a plane that would take off to the North in the last 2 years.
Yes, since 9/11 things have changed. Private aircraft (being non-airline) were banned from National until just recently. So, I'm sure that if possible, most takeoffs may be to the south too. It’s not a normal operation, but things seem to be getting back to normal.

As an FYI to all - dmp and his wife arrived just fine to their destination...:)

Forum List

Back