Anyone else forego colonoscopies for a ColoGuard test?

Anytime a cologuard which should be repeated every 3 years is inconclusive or it indicates a pre-cancerous polyp, or cancerous polyp then you need a colonoscopy. In my book, it's better have colonoscopy and you can be done with it for 10 years.
Thanks for the thorough response. I had a colonoscopy over 10 years ago and am 'overdue' for the follow up. I have read that there are possibilities of problems with the procedure itself, nicking the colon causing infections etc. They also don't examine the entire colon whereas the occult blood tests essentially do.
During a colonoscopy, the doctor inserts a colonoscope into your rectum to check for abnormalities in your entire colon.
Colonoscopy - Mayo Clinic

As the saying goes, there are possible complications that can occur with any procedure. With a colonoscopy there's a chance of a complication in 1 in every 500 procedures. A tear in the rectum wall is one of them and probably the most serious but it's extremely rare.
Do you know the risks of a colonoscopy?

My main concern with colorguard is it's inability to detect pre-cancerous polyps (only 42%). However, if you repeat it every 3 years and it detects a cancer, it will be in an early stage which is usually easy to treat.

One other consideration is that you are likely to get a false positives over a period of years usage. Then you will need a colonoscopy.
That's good info, I had heard colon wall tears were much more frequent than 1 in 500. I do cologuard or equivalent kits every two years. I'm sure my PCP will give me an earful when I see him for being so late for colonscopy.
Good. Cologuard is great for people who will not undergo colonoscopies. It may not be the very best but it's a lot better than nothing and the preps for a colonoscopy are really miserable.
BTW, colon tears are a lot less than 1 in 500.

The prep for a colonoscopy is much less horrible now than a decade ago.

Maybe I'll go for another. I had one 12 or 13 years ago. It was really annoying to prep for.

Thanks for the thorough response. I had a colonoscopy over 10 years ago and am 'overdue' for the follow up. I have read that there are possibilities of problems with the procedure itself, nicking the colon causing infections etc. They also don't examine the entire colon whereas the occult blood tests essentially do.
During a colonoscopy, the doctor inserts a colonoscope into your rectum to check for abnormalities in your entire colon.

As the saying goes, there are possible complications that can occur with any procedure. With a colonoscopy there's a chance of a complication in 1 in every 500 procedures. A tear in the rectum wall is one of them and probably the most serious but it's extremely rare.

My main concern with colorguard is it's inability to detect pre-cancerous polyps (only 42%). However, if you repeat it every 3 years and it detects a cancer, it will be in an early stage which is usually easy to treat.

One other consideration is that you are likely to get a false positives over a period of years usage. Then you will need a colonoscopy.
That's good info, I had heard colon wall tears were much more frequent than 1 in 500. I do cologuard or equivalent kits every two years. I'm sure my PCP will give me an earful when I see him for being so late for colonscopy.
Good. Cologuard is great for people who will not undergo colonoscopies. It may not be the very best but it's a lot better than nothing and the preps for a colonoscopy are really miserable.

Maybe I'll go for another. I had one 12 or 13 years ago. It was really annoying to prep for.
There two kinds of prep, 1 gallon, and 2 gallon. IMHO, drinking one of that stuff is far better than drinking 2 gallons. Also get a morning appointment rather than an afternoon because when get up that morning you're going want to eat and you can't until after the procedure.

There two kinds of prep, 1 gallon, and 2 gallon. IMHO, drinking one of that stuff is far better than drinking 2 gallons. Also get a morning appointment rather than an afternoon because when get up that morning you're going want to eat and you can't until after the procedure.

You can survive a day without eating.

You can survive a lot longer than that but who wants to

You can survive a lot longer than that but who wants to

Nothing to whine about.

Why are Americans so preoccupied with their asses? Is that out of frustration that they can't grow it bigger than their 300 pound soda bellies? Or because it is so big that they can't put each others' dicks into it?

Confirmed: you are a foreigner just like I said. So where are you from, actually?

Why are Americans so preoccupied with their asses? Is that out of frustration that they can't grow it bigger than their 300 pound soda bellies? Or because it is so big that they can't put each others' dicks into it?

Confirmed: you are a foreigner just like I said. So where are you from, actually?

I am an American. I am not telling from what country, because you have used this to not answer my questions, hehehe.

I am an American. I am not telling from what country, because you have used this to not answer my questions, hehehe.

That confirms it. You're Canadian. No other country is so insecure that they can't accept that "America" refers to The United States of America. Half the time Canadians can't bring themselves to say the name of their own country. They say "North America" all the time. It's terribly sad. They also try to convince themselves that the War of 1812 was some glorious victory for Canada. That part is funny.

Forum List

Back