Anyone else forego colonoscopies for a ColoGuard test?

Everything I read is they are just as effective as a colonoscopy, possibly more so since the upper intestinal tract is not reached with a colonoscopy tube. And my number one fear is that some fumble fingered doctor is going to nick my colon and mess me up. It looks like Canadian doctors are opting for FIT/Cologuard type tests in lieu of colonoscopies. I'd be interested in what you all think. And for any of my Liberal fans who encourage me to skip all colon testing, thanks in advance.

I had a colonoscopy a dozen years ago when I turned 50. I was not turned on at all.

A homosexual I knew at work told me he loved getting colonoscopy and some guy shoving a long instrument up his caboose.

Everything I read is they are just as effective as a colonoscopy, possibly more so since the upper intestinal tract is not reached with a colonoscopy tube. And my number one fear is that some fumble fingered doctor is going to nick my colon and mess me up. It looks like Canadian doctors are opting for FIT/Cologuard type tests in lieu of colonoscopies. I'd be interested in what you all think. And for any of my Liberal fans who encourage me to skip all colon testing, thanks in advance.

I had a colonoscopy a dozen years ago when I turned 50. I was not turned on at all.

A homosexual I knew at work told me he loved getting colonoscopy and some guy shoving a long instrument up his caboose.
I hear you, and there is also the risk of them doing damage. The whole procedure seems bizarre and unnecessary when you have non invasive alternatives.

I hear you, and there is also the risk of them doing damage. The whole procedure seems bizarre and unnecessary when you have non invasive alternatives.

The advantage to the colonoscopy is that if they see something suspicious, they can take a sample for a biopsy right there. In a non-invasive procedure, if they see something suspicious, they still have to shove the scope afterwards. The biopsy is a necessary kind of thing for a cancer diagnosis.

Going straight to a colonoscopy cuts out a step.

I was considering Cologuard since there is no prep and it does a good job of detecting colon cancer.

For me, it was an easy decision. Since I had a family history of colon cancer it was not recommend. However, even if that was not the case, I don't think I would use cologuard and here's why.

A colonoscopy does not just detect colon cancer but it prevents it. Polyps are rather slow growing and pre-cancerous polyps are easy to spot and remove. So if the gastroenterologyist does not remove any polyps, you most probably will not need to repeat the procedure for 10 years. It's recommended that you repeat cologuard every 3 years. If you get a positive result for a cologuard, then you have to have a colonoscopy.

One of the first questions patients ask regarding Cologuard is if it is as effective as a colonoscopy. Unfortunately, the answer no. Colonoscopies are the gold standard in detecting colorectal cancer as well as precancerous lesions through the use of a camera-enabled scope; this has been proven over decades of studies of experienced Gastroenterologists’ cases. This allows a gastroenterologist to clearly view the large bowel and distal part of the small bowel for signs of polyps or cancerous lesions. If any are seen, biopsies for further examination can be taken at the same time. In all, colonoscopies can detect about 95 percent of all colorectal cancers and advanced precancerous polyps.

Cologuard, on the other hand, has no visual component and instead tests DNA from stool samples for the presence of abnormal cancerous or precancerous cells. To date, studies have shown that Cologuard detects 92 percent of colorectal cancers and only 42 percent of precancerous polyps, making it a far less effective preventative tool.
Cologuard and False Positives

Cologuard is very effective at detecting cancers, 92% but it is only
42% effective at spotting precancerous polyps.

The cost of cologuard is about $700 and if you do as recommend, repeat the test every 3 years, then the cost comes out pretty close to the cost of a colonoscopy.
That's all well and good, but I still have not seen nor heard a compelling argument that a colonoscopy is any better than Cologuard for detecting cancer or pre-cancer. Add to that the inherent risk, albeit small, that physical damage can occur from a colonoscopy and I think my choice is clear.
For starters, cologuard detects only about 42% of precancerous polys and it does nothing to prevent them from becoming cancerous. In a colonoscopy, polyps are removed thus preventing cancer. If no polups are found and you are not considered high risk of colon cancer, you will not need to repeat the procedure for 10 years plus you can be pretty confident that you will not develop colon cancer before your next colonoscopy.

I think cologuard is great product because many people will not go through a colonoscopy. I certainly don't consider it as good as a colonoscopy but a lot better than nothing.

Last edited:
Why are Americans so preoccupied with their asses? Is that out of frustration that they can't grow it bigger than their 300 pound soda bellies? Or because it is so big that they can't put each others' dicks into it?

There is no replacement for s colonoscopy. I suggest a colonoscopy. All my kids, even though they were healthy, had them at age 40. Then every 5 years. And there isn't really colon cancer on either side. Yes, the American diet, us the culprit. Avoid fast foods even once a month.
I agree that the American diet contributes to a higher incidence of colon cancer. I would like to know why you believe that a colonoscopy is a superior test for colon cancer than Cologuard.

Cologuard cannot see the inside of your colon as a colonoscopy can.

Wife had cologuard came back as inconclusive had to have a colonoscopy after that found one polyp benign of course.
Anytime a cologuard which should be repeated every 3 years is inconclusive or it indicates a pre-cancerous polyp, or cancerous polyp then you need a colonoscopy. In my book, it's better have colonoscopy and you can be done with it for 10 years.

Why are Americans so preoccupied with their asses? Is that out of frustration that they can't grow it bigger than their 300 pound soda bellies? Or because it is so big that they can't put each others' dicks into it?

????????????????

You're trying to make colon cancer into some kind of America-bashing? WTF is wrong with you?

From what my buddy told me, fuck that shit!

He thought he was gonna get some little Asian woman doctor.

Surprise! He got some 6'5" Polish man with sausage fingers.

I don't need none of it!
I watched my mom die with colorectal cancer. It took months and there was nothing funny about. When the doc says it's time for a colonoscopy, I say when can I get an appointment.

There is no replacement for s colonoscopy. I suggest a colonoscopy. All my kids, even though they were healthy, had them at age 40. Then every 5 years. And there isn't really colon cancer on either side. Yes, the American diet, us the culprit. Avoid fast foods even once a month.
I agree that the American diet contributes to a higher incidence of colon cancer. I would like to know why you believe that a colonoscopy is a superior test for colon cancer than Cologuard.

Wife had cologuard came back as inconclusive had to have a colonoscopy after that found one polyp benign of course.
Anytime a cologuard which should be repeated every 3 years is inconclusive or it indicates a pre-cancerous polyp, or cancerous polyp then you need a colonoscopy. In my book, it's better have colonoscopy and you can be done with it for 10 years.
Thanks for the thorough response. I had a colonoscopy over 10 years ago and am 'overdue' for the follow up. I have read that there are possibilities of problems with the procedure itself, nicking the colon causing infections etc. They also don't examine the entire colon whereas the occult blood tests essentially do.

Thanks for the thorough response. I had a colonoscopy over 10 years ago and am 'overdue' for the follow up. I have read that there are possibilities of problems with the procedure itself, nicking the colon causing infections etc. They also don't examine the entire colon whereas the occult blood tests essentially do.
During a colonoscopy, the doctor inserts a colonoscope into your rectum to check for abnormalities in your entire colon.
Colonoscopy - Mayo Clinic

As the saying goes, there are possible complications that can occur with any procedure. With a colonoscopy there's a chance of a complication in 1 in every 500 procedures. A tear in the rectum wall is one of them and probably the most serious but it's extremely rare.
https://www.webmd.com/colorectal-cancer/colonoscopy-risks#2

My main concern with colorguard is it's inability to detect pre-cancerous polyps (only 42%). However, if you repeat it every 3 years and it detects a cancer, it will be in an early stage which is usually easy to treat.

One other consideration is that you are likely to get a false positives over a period of years usage. Then you will need a colonoscopy.

Last edited:
Colonoscopies aren’t so bad. They knock you out, stick a camera up your ass, and then you wake up. You don’t even know they were in there or what they were doing.

Colonoscopies aren’t so bad. They knock you out, stick a camera up your ass, and then you wake up. You don’t even know they were in there or what they were doing.

It’s horrible, but less horrible than dying.

During a colonoscopy, the doctor inserts a colonoscope into your rectum to check for abnormalities in your entire colon.

As the saying goes, there are possible complications that can occur with any procedure. With a colonoscopy there's a chance of a complication in 1 in every 500 procedures. A tear in the rectum wall is one of them and probably the most serious but it's extremely rare.

My main concern with colorguard is it's inability to detect pre-cancerous polyps (only 42%). However, if you repeat it every 3 years and it detects a cancer, it will be in an early stage which is usually easy to treat.

One other consideration is that you are likely to get a false positives over a period of years usage. Then you will need a colonoscopy.
That's good info, I had heard colon wall tears were much more frequent than 1 in 500. I do cologuard or equivalent kits every two years. I'm sure my PCP will give me an earful when I see him for being so late for colonscopy.

That's good info, I had heard colon wall tears were much more frequent than 1 in 500. I do cologuard or equivalent kits every two years. I'm sure my PCP will give me an earful when I see him for being so late for colonscopy.
Good. Cologuard is great for people who will not undergo colonoscopies. It may not be the very best but it's a lot better than nothing and the preps for a colonoscopy are really miserable.
BTW, colon tears are a lot less than 1 in 500.

Good. Cologuard is great for people who will not undergo colonoscopies. It may not be the very best but it's a lot better than nothing and the preps for a colonoscopy are really miserable.

The prep for a colonoscopy is much less horrible now than a decade ago.

The prep for a colonoscopy is much less horrible now than a decade ago.
If you don't mind sitting on the pot most of the night and shitting your brains out, it's not bad at all. After my last colonoscopy, I ate a big lunch and went back to work. It's not a big deal. If you have them done as recommended and they find a cancerous polyp, they will most likely remove it and ask you to repeat the procedure so they can monitor the area. However, if you wait for symptoms to occur, that's a whole different ballgame.

Forum List

Back