Anyone else ever feel

Like you were born in the wrong decade? Like the moral/ethical standards to which you adhere haven't been shared by anyone else in at least 40 years and you're better fit for a society that existed 60 years ago than what passes for society today?

Seriously... what happened to actual courtship, to holding doors open for ladies and your elders, to 'sir', 'ma'am', 'thank you', and 'please'? What happened 'being a man' meaning admitting when you'd wronged someone and trying to make it right? What happened to treating everyone you encountered with a base level of respect unless they showed themselves unworthy of it?

And what ever happened to American manufacturing and the middle class? America used to be proud of the fact that a man could enter the work force, take a respectable blue-collar job, work hard, put in his hours, and provide for his family. Now we're told that made us communists (weren't we fighting the 'commies' at the time)? and we need to go hungry, work two jobs, and shutup to 'compete' with the sweatshops in the 'world market' and be 'more friendly to business'.

Now, I know about the nostalgia trap and things weren't perfect- especially for minorities and those women who ended up in bad relationships or encountered the glass ceiling in their careers, but some things- like a blue-collar man being able to provide for his family without racking up massive debt and helping destabilize the economy and America producing for itself- truly were better in the past.

Surely, America has the potential to restore that which was good while holding on to that which has been made better? Isn't that what's supposed to make us such a great country? Or is the America that was great and something to be proud of forever lost to history?

Well, it all started when LBJ Escalated that War in Southeast Asia...

Then the Greatest Generation Lost Control of their Children because of Media and Drugs... And of course, the Draft.

Then the Greatest Generation's Spawn Reproduced...

Being, to Date, probably the Most Selfish Generation in History, the Boomers went on to be more Concerned about Self than they were about the Children they had so instead of being Parents they Overwhelmed their Children with Material things with no Expectations or Understanding of how those things are Obtained in the Real World, all because they were to busy Servicing themselves as they had been since they were Teenagers...

Some of them had a 2nd Cycle of Children because the Economic Boom that Started in the Early 90's gave them a 2nd Chance at being Good Parents

That 1st Generation of Boomer Brats were Welcomed into the Work Force with Tech Jobs that didn't Require much Education but Promised TONS of Money for as Far as the Eye can see...

And everyone was a Borrowing... Paying of the Debt they Played on, again and again...

But then there was the Bubble... That Exposed the Irrational Exuberance... That Exposed the Housing Problems... That Exposed the Lending/Borrowing Problems...

Now you have a 2nd Generation of Boomer Children coupled with X'ers Children who look to the Boom and Bust Failures of not only their Older Siblings, but many their own Parents for a 2nd Time, and they can't Shit or go Blind, for Christ's Sake in this Economy.

Go to College?... Why, it's Obscenly Expensive and what Garuntee is there that you will have a Job when you are done so you can start making Mortgage Payment Sized Education Loan Payments.

This is a Deep and Real Correction.

Hopefully it does more than Correct the Economic Issues...

Hopefully it Corrects the Me Generation's Decades of Rotten Fruits and in that sets a Path for Realistic Living in the Future.

You don't get everything by 25 or 30 and to Expect that is a Recipe for Disaster...

Like the one we are Currently Wallowing in.

Anyway, what was the Question?... :lol:

:)

peace...

No, but it does have "Gods of War" (whatever the hell that is), and it does some goofy Netflix thingy (big whoopty-doo), and it replaces our WII (WTF are we going to do with Rockband, or Guitar Hero, or whatever the hell we have?), and it works with our projector downstairs in the theater room (this I understand - it means he doesn't have to watch TV upstairs!).

The 'theater room'?

Should you really be here speaking to us peasants?

What the hell else would YOU call it? An entire wall is the screen, there's a projector mounted in the ceiling, a computer behind sliding doors (can't possibly deal with seeing the little green power light during a movie - must be pitch black), an overstuffed leather couch up on a pedestal, with two overstuffed leather chairs at floor level, the ceiling and floor are painted black, and the walls are super dark burgundy with black "sponging", the lights in the ceiling are blacked out with smoked glass, etc..

Got another name for it?:confused::confused:

basement?

Like you were born in the wrong decade? Like the moral/ethical standards to which you adhere haven't been shared by anyone else in at least 40 years and you're better fit for a society that existed 60 years ago than what passes for society today?

Seriously... what happened to actual courtship, to holding doors open for ladies and your elders, to 'sir', 'ma'am', 'thank you', and 'please'? What happened 'being a man' meaning admitting when you'd wronged someone and trying to make it right? What happened to treating everyone you encountered with a base level of respect unless they showed themselves unworthy of it?

And what ever happened to American manufacturing and the middle class? America used to be proud of the fact that a man could enter the work force, take a respectable blue-collar job, work hard, put in his hours, and provide for his family. Now we're told that made us communists (weren't we fighting the 'commies' at the time)? and we need to go hungry, work two jobs, and shutup to 'compete' with the sweatshops in the 'world market' and be 'more friendly to business'.

Now, I know about the nostalgia trap and things weren't perfect- especially for minorities and those women who ended up in bad relationships or encountered the glass ceiling in their careers, but some things- like a blue-collar man being able to provide for his family without racking up massive debt and helping destabilize the economy and America producing for itself- truly were better in the past.

Surely, America has the potential to restore that which was good while holding on to that which has been made better? Isn't that what's supposed to make us such a great country? Or is the America that was great and something to be proud of forever lost to history?

When the fascists learned that they could get Americans to vote against thier own best interests by controlling the media it set in motion policy ensuring that grip and there has been little hope for the middle class since.

I believe the "turning point" was believe it or not when the accidental injection of laugh tracks instead of a live audience in the early sit coms such as I Love Lucy showed them that they could get the American audiences to laugh at practically anything funny or not in thier own homes if they just played laughter along with the feed of the shows. This may not seem like much to most people but before that happened Americans were more critical of the box and needed to be swayed to laughter by real humor. The lesson of how easily we can be manipulated was not lost on those that sold the products that paid the freight for tv production. We are literally hypnotized by shiney objects now as news has gone from what used to be a "service" required to retain the FCC broadcast liscences to infotainment with no consequence for lying. The only hope of a change in this course lays here on the internet but the millions of opinions offered by anyone that wants to participate effectively dilutes reason to just pissing into the wind. I agree that it has been a sad journey watching America being turned into a country of zombies. I don't see it getting better.

When the fascists learned that they could get Americans to vote against thier own best interests by controlling the media it set in motion policy ensuring that grip and there has been little hope for the middle class since.

I believe the "turning point" was believe it or not when the accidental injection of laugh tracks instead of a live audience in the early sit coms such as I Love Lucy showed them that they could get the American audiences to laugh at practically anything funny or not in thier own homes if they just played laughter along with the feed of the shows. This may not seem like much to most people but before that happened Americans were more critical of the box and needed to be swayed to laughter by real humor. The lesson of how easily we can be manipulated was not lost on those that sold the products that paid the freight for tv production. We are literally hypnotized by shiney objects now as news has gone from what used to be a "service" required to retain the FCC broadcast liscences to infotainment with no consequence for lying. The only hope of a change in this course lays here on the internet but the millions of opinions offered by anyone that wants to participate effectively dilutes reason to just pissing into the wind. I agree that it has been a sad journey watching America being turned into a country of zombies. I don't see it getting better.

Jesus tapdancing Christ, Huggy. That was an inspiring piece of insight. Not to mention a very well written post. Bravo!

Although I think that what I've highlighted can, to a certain extent, be said for the rest of the western world.

Maybe if you (people in general) raised their kids to say "please and thank you" and to open doors, be a lady or gentleman, send thank you notes ;) etc....

Instead it's all about ME ME ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WANT WANT WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TV and video games are raising our children, not the parents, because they are too busy chasing the almighty dollar.

I am raising my daughters to expect nothing less from any boy that wants to date them, and I demand the same respect I gave my elders and still do.

My dad still expects me to refer to him as sir (i.e. yes sir & no sir) and so does my mom....(ma'am)

I still open doors for ladies.... yes, even the ugly ones. :tongue:

I guess I am old fashioned, but I dont think men and women should "live together".... get married and do it the right way.
That goes back to the OP asking about courtship.... if you do that right, you will know whether he or she is "the one".

Good to know some folks still like those things too....

The sir and ma'am thing has ALWAYS creeped me out.

My children are my joy NOT my inferior.

My son calls me Mom and says it with love not military indoctrination.

Maybe if you (people in general) raised their kids to say "please and thank you" and to open doors, be a lady or gentleman, send thank you notes ;) etc....

TV and video games are raising our children, not the parents, because they are too busy chasing the almighty dollar.

I am raising my daughters to expect nothing less from any boy that wants to date them, and I demand the same respect I gave my elders and still do.

My dad still expects me to refer to him as sir (i.e. yes sir & no sir) and so does my mom....(ma'am)

I guess I am old fashioned, but I dont think men and women should "live together".... get married and do it the right way.
That goes back to the OP asking about courtship.... if you do that right, you will know whether he or she is "the one".

You are one strange person.
Number one, I strongly doubt his parents see him as inferior.
Number two, I strongly doubt his usage of the sir and ma'am means he's doing it with any less love than your son for you.
Number three, there's nothing about what he said that involve military indoctrination.

The sir and ma'am thing sets up titiles that are the same thing the military uses

No you have a southern bias about how family should be.

My son does not need to use titiles to talk to me.

He respects me just fine without them.

A titile is a barrier and if you dont see that then you dont know much about human relations

The way your kids address you gives you comfort and feels respectful. What else matters?

A titile is a barrier and if you dont see that then you dont know much about human relations

Uuummmmm.... Just because you view them as titles doesn't mean they are and just because I live in the south doesn't mean I was raised here.
And your last statement only proves you have a narrow, unrealistic view of the issue.
Stereotype much?

You have a bias, TM. You make assumptions about the "hidden meaning" behind Southern manners that just is not warranteed....this is what feels loving and respectful in someone else's family, and it is not "wrong" for them.

Southerners generally teach their children to address other adults as "Miss First Name" or "Mr. First Name". When I was little, we called adults "Mrs. Last Name" and I did try to teach my child this, but the adults would correct her and say just use my first name. The courtesies of the past have lingered longer down south, and add an element of gentility and ease to life that the people there rightly treasure.

Jesus tapdancing Christ, Huggy. That was an inspiring piece of insight. Not to mention a very well written post. Bravo!

Although I think that what I've highlighted can, to a certain extent, be said for the rest of the western world.

Well..Jumpin Jesus on a Pogo Stick! Thanks for appreciating my little turn on the soap box.

It would be even more difficult to describe my horror as a kid watching my sister and brothers watching television mindlessly amused and laughing when knowing them as I did the reactions they exhibited were so unlike thier true personalities. We all had pretty well developed senses of humor and watching them being turned into zombies right before my eyes was astonishing and alarming. I started spending less and less time with them in front of the hypnosis machine from about 6 years old on. My parents being intellectual republicans were always too busy doing smart stuff to waste time watching the tube. They gave me positive feedback for having the sense to recognise the scam being perpetrated. I would go to them and ask "why the others were laughing at that junk" and they would just suggest something more challenging for me to to focus on. I believe they sort of gave up on the other kids to a degree which I wasn't totally comfortable with. Being republicans they believed that you are what you are and did not ever turn off the TV as some parents would have. It wasn't my place so I just took up other interests.

I find it odd that more people are not offended at the brainwashing of thier fellow citizens.

Forum List

Back