Anyone else ever feel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JBeukema, Nov 30, 2010.

1. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Like you were born in the wrong decade? Like the moral/ethical standards to which you adhere haven't been shared by anyone else in at least 40 years and you're better fit for a society that existed 60 years ago than what passes for society today?

Seriously... what happened to actual courtship, to holding doors open for ladies and your elders, to 'sir', 'ma'am', 'thank you', and 'please'? What happened 'being a man' meaning admitting when you'd wronged someone and trying to make it right? What happened to treating everyone you encountered with a base level of respect unless they showed themselves unworthy of it?

And what ever happened to American manufacturing and the middle class? America used to be proud of the fact that a man could enter the work force, take a respectable blue-collar job, work hard, put in his hours, and provide for his family. Now we're told that made us communists (weren't we fighting the 'commies' at the time)? and we need to go hungry, work two jobs, and shutup to 'compete' with the sweatshops in the 'world market' and be 'more friendly to business'.

Now, I know about the nostalgia trap and things weren't perfect- especially for minorities and those women who ended up in bad relationships or encountered the glass ceiling in their careers, but some things- like a blue-collar man being able to provide for his family without racking up massive debt and helping destabilize the economy and America producing for itself- truly were better in the past.

Surely, America has the potential to restore that which was good while holding on to that which has been made better? Isn't that what's supposed to make us such a great country? Or is the America that was great and something to be proud of forever lost to history?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Yes I was absolutely born a couple of centuries too early. See I do not believe in killing people over business opportunities and political or religious differences.

I feel sad that mankind wastes so much time and energy on killing each other.
    Imagine what humankind could accompolish if we just worked together to improve our lives and world.
    I am saddened over the destruction of my world for short term gains and greed.
    The applause surrounding acts of violence horrifies me.

Yes I was born in the wrong time, but I am not sure the time that would be correct for me will ever exist with humans. I fear that our lives are so short that we just learn what is really important shortly before we die. We can pass on technological advances very easially, but each person has to start from scratch with each birth learing the truely important things.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    JB all of that you described is pretty much how I live regardless of how others around me live. That they live differently is their problem and not mine?

the question is does the world make your world or do you make your own?

4. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Manufacturing is not coming back, JB. One reason it left is because a blue collar man would support his family without his wife's help on the wages he made....those days are over, forever.

5. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Truth

6. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Yeap , be the change you want to see happen

7. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Ditto!

This is why I love you man.

it wouldnt let me rep you again

8. Granny

Granny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    What they said ... how sad for what was once a great, and greatly respected, country.

9. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Maybe if you (people in general) raised their kids to say "please and thank you" and to open doors, be a lady or gentleman, send thank you notes ;) etc....

Instead it's all about ME ME ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WANT WANT WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TV and video games are raising our children, not the parents, because they are too busy chasing the almighty dollar.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  10. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,732

You don't think people didn't kill each other for economic reasons (property) or religion two centuries ago?

Bub - it's the eternal human dillemma.

The middle class for which JB waxes nostalgic is a rare and recent phenomenon in human history. Most humans who ever lived endured lives of poverty and/or serfdom. Subsistence was their main objective.

The totalitarian thugs always rent seek the productivity of others. This is what is happening to the increasingly rare middle class in the U.S.