Anyone Else Believe As I Do?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Madeline, May 24, 2010.

1. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    I have had a few fixed beliefs all my life in the arena of spirituality.

The first is that dead is dead. Period. There is no after-life of any sort. I take great comfort in this notion because once I have died, there'll be nothing left of me to experience anxiety or any other sort of distress.

The second is that there is a God. Some evidence of divinity is visible to me in almost every human. In nature. In science. In math.

Consequently, I believe the ethical behavior of any human is desirable and pleasing to God, but the only punishment for unethical behavior is that the actor loses his self-regard, his humanity is diminished, and he moves away from God.

Prayer may be self-comforting but God does not alter the course of events because we send up entreaties. He might, however, boost our coping power if we ask nicely.

I think this is an unusual arrangement of beliefs, and I wondered if I was sharing it with anyone else.

And for those of you whose ethical systems are based on a reward in the hereafter, can anyone explain to me why I can find the instant reward in doing the right thing, but you need a dangling carrot of a promise of Heaven to follow your ethical precepts?

Do you honestly think that evil acts are satisfying? I see them as failures, lapses in judgment and future regrets.

2. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    I believe you big blue font is pissing people off and makes your words get wasted because even I find it hard to finish reading anything you write.

3. froggy

froggy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Oh What a Tangled Web We Weave, When First We Practice to Deceive. Dead is not dead there is an afterlife, prayer does change things, those who have not experienced it are weak in faith. When good triumphs evil you feel justification. are you saying you never do evil?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    I'm sort of in that camp.

I believe that death might very well be the end of the ego called editec.

I don't go so far as to know that that means the end of lifeforce, however. I just know that I do not know.

As to morality and editec?

My morality is based on what I think I ought to do given the state of affairs in which I find myself.

Hence, social philosophies such as the sermon on the mount seem a fairly good start for me to determine how I should attempt to conduct my worldly affairs.

I'm not trying to be moral because I expect to be rewarded in my afterlife.

I'm trying to act morally (as I understand it, at least) because it rewards me (it satisfies me personally, I mean, not necessarily in worldly goods) in my current life.

My afterlife (assuming it exists) will just have take care of itself.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  5. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Being good doesnt always pay off in real life except in your heart.

Being good to people should be done for no extra reward in this life or after.

I like everyone else have done very nice things for people who then turned arround and sought to hurt me for their own gain.

It happens. I then toss them out of my life but do not seek to harm them.

I then do not blame the next person who comes along and needs kindness.

I dont need god, the threat of hell or even the rewards of heaven to convince me to be good to people.

I do it because of my own respect for myself and the respect of the people who use the kindness to become better people.

6. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    froggy, when I do good rather than evil, what I feel is not "justification". I don't even know what emotion that might be. I want to hold myself in my own good opinion. I want to be truly intimate with my beloveds. I want there to be Justice in the lives of people I can touch.

I'm a little bumfuddled as to what the pay off is for such things as stealing. Seems to me you cannot have any of the rewards I'm after if you steal from the folks around you. (Same with adultery, murder, etc.)

No, I wouldn't say I have led a blameless life. I don't think that's possible. I think that most of us have made a fundamental choice to move towards Good or Evil, and have lived our lives in pursuit of that goal. But not in some linear fashion....Good people do evil acts, and Evil people occasionally do good ones.

I'm curious, froggy. Why are you so certain there is an after-life?

7. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    You sound more like a traditional agnostic than I do, editec. I don't think I qualify as such because I am confident there is no after-life (unless you count the conversion of human remains via decay).

And clearly, I am not an atheist.

I wonder if there's even a name for my belief system?

8. JW Frogen

JW Frogen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    Fuck me I am at work and so I am too drunk to respond to this with the gravity it deserves.

Still Ms. Madeline, I would glory in the fact your belief system has no name.

When we start to name God we turn the divine into an dive-hole.

I like a God that has no name. If I understand God then I have reduced God to my level, and I would not do that to God.

Hell, I do not even do that to a lover. Or even an enemy; not even both.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  9. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Aussies can drink at work? LOL.

Ya, I know some things that God is NOT, but as to his true nature, no I cannot say I have a vision of it.

10. JW Frogen

JW Frogen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    There is a very fuzzy line between work and play over here.