Anyone Eaten Horse Meat?

Swagger

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2011
Up on the scaffold
Over on this side of the Pond we've had a culinary storm brewing after Trading Standards have reported that one of our mainstream supermarkets (Tesco) has been selling burgers that have had traces of horse meat found in them after a spot check.

Before all this I hadn't paid it much thought, and would never have gone seeking horse meat to eat. But some of the people I've spoken to and swapped jokes with regarding this rather unusual ingredient says that it's really quite tasty, and it's piqued my interest. Eating horse is rather taboo in the UK, but in France, and especially Italy, it's widely eaten.

So, anyone on here tried it? If so, what was it like, and what would you compare it to, taste wise?

Over on this side of the Pond we've had a culinary storm brewing after Trading Standards have reported that one of our mainstream supermarkets (Tesco) has been selling burgers that have had traces of horse meat found in them after a spot check.

Before all this I hadn't paid it much thought, and would never have gone seeking horse meat to eat. But some of the people I've spoken to and swapped jokes with regarding this rather unusual ingredient says that it's really quite tasty, and it's piqued my interest. Eating horse is rather taboo in the UK, but in France, and especially Italy, it's widely eaten.

So, anyone on here tried it? If so, what was it like, and what would you compare it to, taste wise?

haven't ever eaten horsemeat as far as I know...

but down here, folks'll eat practically anything...

and who can say for sure what's in somebody else's gumbo or smoked sausage...? :)

btw... I have no problem with the idea of eating horsemeat...

and anybody who rails against it, 'cause horses are so noble or whatever,

needs to get off their high horse... :)

I've had raw horse meat on several occasions. Very fresh, with a big mug 'o beer, it was pretty tasty.

Eaten it, cooked it, liked it immensely. Horsemeat makes an outstanding sauerbraten. There are "horse butchers" in Germany that specialize in it.
I have seen entire airplanes full of big, draft-type horses, raised mostly in Canada, on their way to market in the Far East. I've also heard that some horses are shipped to Canada from the US for further shipment to Asia. Americans sometimes limit their palates because we anthropomorphise certain animals, horses among them.

I haven't had it but I did see this:

G2L3H.jpg

I've had Horse AND Whale in Japan a few times. Nothing to shout about really. What IS really good is Unagi (eel). Tastes like an oily fish. Yum! :D

I have. I wouldn't call it particularly tasty, much like low quality beef imo.

Not that I know of but I don't imagine it's a whole lot different than cow.

I've had Horse AND Whale in Japan a few times. Nothing to shout about really. What IS really good is Unagi (eel). Tastes like an oily fish. Yum! :D

I couldn't handle unagi, too oily.

Oh, if it's cooked well and served over rice it's mighty fine eating. The smell of unagi on the grill = summer time (along with fireworks, beer gardens, and pretty girls in yukata!).

Oh, if it's cooked well and served over rice it's mighty fine eating. The smell of unagi on the grill = summer time (along with fireworks, beer gardens, and pretty girls in yukata!).

I'd be willing to give it a try prepared that way. They served us some when I was in Japan. They served us a lot of stuff. I sometimes wonder whether they were taking bets as to what the "guygen" would eat. Some of those dishes were, well...kind of suspicious. One night they gave me the tuna head to eat, someone had to win that bet.

I'd be willing to give it a try prepared that way. They served us some when I was in Japan. They served us a lot of stuff. I sometimes wonder whether they were taking bets as to what the "guygen" would eat. Some of those dishes were, well...kind of suspicious. One night they gave me the tuna head to eat, someone had to win that bet.

Some of the most tender meat on most kinds of fish is found on the cheeks. You were being treated well.

Forum List

Back