Anyone Been Contacted by a Deceased Loved One?

Right after my grandfather passed away I knew he came to see me and let me know he was OK...

I have a black rock with the word LOVE written on it and I was fighting with my mom one day shortly after he passed and I left the house all sad,etc...... When i came home THE ROCK WAS ON MY COMPUTER DESK!!!!!! (I didnt put it there before leaving!!)

And then the next weekend I was home alone as My mom,etc down @ my relatives for services,etc........ I had too occurances with my fathers alarm clock.. The first morning IT WENT OFF (my father must have forgotton to turn it off) -- THE NEXT MORNING IT WENT OFF AGAIN!!!!!!! (I know I disabled it the day before!!) -- It was the day of my grandpa's funeral and I after I turned the alarm off I said "I love you grandpa,you better goto your funeral,its in a few hours..... If you wanna come back after you can" -- But I havent ever had further experiences......

And then 2 days before christmas 2012,my kitty cat died :(

I came home one night and I was on a website and I logged out of it and it says GOODBYE on the screen... Well my screensaver WAS ON since I had left the room for a bit..... I came into the room and saw the screenscaver.... As I was walking around my room the screensaver WENT OFF (Like someone hit a key) and I saw 'GOODBYE' -- I have to wonder if that was kitty saying goodbye??

I do believe in the spiritual world,spirits are ALL AROUND US!!

Right after my grandfather passed away I knew he came to see me and let me know he was OK...

I have a black rock with the word LOVE written on it and I was fighting with my mom one day shortly after he passed and I left the house all sad,etc...... When i came home THE ROCK WAS ON MY COMPUTER DESK!!!!!! (I didnt put it there before leaving!!)

And then the next weekend I was home alone as My mom,etc down @ my relatives for services,etc........ I had too occurances with my fathers alarm clock.. The first morning IT WENT OFF (my father must have forgotton to turn it off) -- THE NEXT MORNING IT WENT OFF AGAIN!!!!!!! (I know I disabled it the day before!!) -- It was the day of my grandpa's funeral and I after I turned the alarm off I said "I love you grandpa,you better goto your funeral,its in a few hours..... If you wanna come back after you can" -- But I havent ever had further experiences......

And then 2 days before christmas 2012,my kitty cat died :(

I came home one night and I was on a website and I logged out of it and it says GOODBYE on the screen... Well my screensaver WAS ON since I had left the room for a bit..... I came into the room and saw the screenscaver.... As I was walking around my room the screensaver WENT OFF (Like someone hit a key) and I saw 'GOODBYE' -- I have to wonder if that was kitty saying goodbye??

I do believe in the spiritual world,spirits are ALL AROUND US!!

Ok, see things like this are just like ??? Unless your mom put that rock there ... how did it get there? It really makes you stop and look around and just wonder about the afterlife, doesn't it? The last time I saw my mom (she was in the hospital, very near the end, not awake/conscious (as far as we could tell not conscious) in the hospital) when I went to leave I told her that it was ok if she had to go before we got back and that when she was ready to give me a sign of some kind that they were all ok. Something like move an object completely out of place or re-arrange something to how it shouldn't be ... I don't know, something like that.

I"m so sorry about your grandfather and your cat, dude. Those who aren't animal people might think it ridiculous to grieve over the loss of a pet. They don't understand that people/pet connection ... it is exactly like losing a family member. My brother just had to have his 19 year old cat put down this past Monday. Like, really?? What else is going to happen this year?

Thank you for your kind words my friend!!!!!!

Yes it does make ya wonder about it for sure.......... Im sorry your brother had to let his kitty go... Its not easy,like you said THEY ARE PART OF THE FAMILY!!

:(

Last edited:
I told all of mine to try, and bring me the lottery numbers if they come back!

Being a Christian, I am perplexed: I don't know if your spirit sleeps until you are risen, or if you are cognizant, and can travel / visit. I do know when my Dad died, something sat on the edge of my bed, and my yongest brother's - I was too afraid to look. When my brother looked, he saw nothing, but the corner of the bed severly depressed?

When my oldest sister was killed, my mom claimed that her face appeared in front of her several times in the airport.

It is my understanding of Christianity that the dead are all supposed to be asleep and incommunicado and knowing nothing until Jesus comes back and raises them up again.

nope, that is wrong. it might be the belief of one of the many Protestant churches, but it is neither shared by Catholics, nor Orthodox

I'm reviving this thread because ever since the death of my doberman, Greta, on January 4, 2014, I've been searching for answers. Now, I lost my mother in 1986 and that was horrible, but I dealt with it by getting drunk for 10 years. I lost my Dad in August of 2009, but although I loved him very much, we hadn't spent much time together over the years. So my grief was manageable.

But my dog...well, she is a very, very special being to me. I don't know what to believe, but if there are soulmates, I believe she was my soulmate, come to earth to spend the past 10 years with me, and they were probably the best 10 years of my life. But now...she's gone. So I am seeking. I've cried bitterly every day for 71 days now since she died. I've never cried for anyone like this before. I iwant her back.

So, I'm reading a book which is about the exact topic of this thread. Loved ones contacting us from beyond. The book is called "Hello from Heaven: A New Field of Research - After-Death-Communication - Confirms that Life and Love are Eternal" by Bill Guggenheim and Judy Guggenheim (ex-spouses)

I'm only a short way into the book which is a series of accounts by people of contacts they've had with the dearly departed. Some are just "feelings," some are audible, some are physical, such as feeling a hand on your shoulder, and some are acutal two-way communications. Some of the communication is telepathic (just in you mind), some is audible, through the ears, some is visual, some is audible and visual, etc.

Anyway, I don't find myself being comforted and I'm actually getting angry. I don't like bullshit. And the question that keeps coming to mind is...why just some people? Why doesn't everyone get to experience the joy of hearing from loved ones they have lost? Hmmm?

I've known people who swear they've experienced this or that paranormal event, and you look at the people and think...yeah, YOU would. They're often uneducated, naive, gullible. Or downright dishonest and like attention, even attention they garner by making up stories.

People will say...oh, no wonder you don't receive any communication, you're shutting it out with your skepticism.

Not so. All my life I've been open to the paranormal, or afterlife, etc. When my mother died in 1986 I shut myself in my bedroom for three days and nights, crying and begging her to communicate with me. Nothing. So that's why I proceeded to get drunk for 10 years.

And now, my beloved Greta. I am so open to a communication or sign from the afterlife, that she is there, that she is okay...that we will meet again. Nothing.

So someone explain to me WHY some people are contacted and others aren't? I'm a decent person, I have a good heart, I rescue animals, I act tough on the outside but am kind-hearted in reality. So why not ME?

I'm wondering if the book I'm reading will address this, because to me, it's the elephant in the room. If this is a natural phenomenon, why some and not others? I need an answer to this, because otherwise, the only answer I have is the one I've concluded on my own...that the accounts of contact with departed loved ones are bogus.

I don't want that to be true. I want there to be an afterlife and I want to see my loved ones again and for everything to be...all right.

Books like the one I am reading seem to be desperate attempts to justify our existence. There MUST be more than this, right? But I'm afraid this may be all there is. This earthly life and nothing beyond.

Depressing, huh? But if anyone is game for more discussion about this, I'd like to talk about it.

Last edited:
I told all of mine to try, and bring me the lottery numbers if they come back!

Being a Christian, I am perplexed: I don't know if your spirit sleeps until you are risen, or if you are cognizant, and can travel / visit. I do know when my Dad died, something sat on the edge of my bed, and my yongest brother's - I was too afraid to look. When my brother looked, he saw nothing, but the corner of the bed severly depressed?

When my oldest sister was killed, my mom claimed that her face appeared in front of her several times in the airport.

It is my understanding of Christianity that the dead are all supposed to be asleep and incommunicado and knowing nothing until Jesus comes back and raises them up again.

nope, that is wrong. it might be the belief of one of the many Protestant churches, but it is neither shared by Catholics, nor Orthodox

I believe it's in the Bible. I'll look the scripture up later when I have more time. I'm Catholic, by the way. Not a very good one, don't go to church. But nonetheless, raised a Catholic...which is Christianity.

I don't know if this was real or just a dream but the memory is etched in my mind forever.

I am the 7th of 8 kids. My slightly older brother died in birth before I was born so I never met him. He was delivered by a drunk, country doctor and the umbilical cord strangled my brother during the birthing process. I don't know if this incident has anything at all to do with my "dream" but it may.

Anyway, when I was very young (about 4 years old) I had an extremely vivid vision or dream. I woke up during the wee hours of the morning to the sound of someone making a "psssst, psssst" noise. It was as if someone was trying to get my attention. I opened my eyes and looked toward my toy chest that was under the window that faced my back yard. Sitting on my toy chest was a boy. He was looking directly at me and kept trying to summon me. "Pssst, pssst, over hear." The boy was dressed in typical play clothes but he was carrying a knapsack. He seemed to want me to come with him somewhere but I just laid in my bed totally horrified. I rolled up into a ball and sort of sunk deeper under the covers and I squeezed my eyes really tight. When I got up the nerve to look again he was gone.

That's the last time anything like that ever happened to me. I'm still not certain what I'm supposed to learn from it but I believe it could have been my older brother coming to visit me (at least my older sister seem to think that was a possibility).

That's all there is to it. Don't know what else to say.

I am my grandmother's namesake. She was and is a character. She died with a lot of (unwarranted) guilt about me and I feel she is working the guilt off.

She comes when I am doing something connected to Italianness - watching a program, reading a book, cooking. If I am cooking what she taught me, she stands at my shoulder and reminds me what to do (also unwarranted)

I hear her and sense her but she remains invisible. I enjoy her so much that I hope she never quits visiting.

Also, prior cats visit, but the dogs do not. I feel my legs getting rubbed by an invisible kitty. And of course they rile up the current kitties. When a cat gets wild eyed and starts chasing and being chased, we are having a visit.

The space we occupy in the world never gets filled, and some people and animal spirits can temporarily reclaim their space before returning again to the beyond.

I think that people who are open to the experiences are likely to experience them.

Regards from Rosie

There are some who teach and believe the doctrine of "soul sleep" but I'm a bit skeptical.

The Bible says that we're created in the image of God. God is described as "Father, Son, & Holy Spirit" (Matt 28:19). The Bible describes man as "body, soul, and spirit" (1 Thess 5:23).

When the body dies it's the "first death." The Bible states that there is a potential for a "second death" (Rev 20:6). However, the Bible also states that a person can suffer damnation in hell "forever and ever" (Rev. 14:11).

Anyway, the point I'm trying to express is the fact that man is made up of body, soul, AND spirit. According to some key verses in the Bible some part of man's being is "present with God" upon death:

Ecclesiastes 12:7, "Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it."

2 Corinthians 5:8, "We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord."

Acts 7:59, "And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit."

Note that as the Apostle Stephen was being stoned to death for his belief in Christ he prayed to Christ that his "spirit" would be received. We also know that Christ arose after three days and rose bodily into Heaven.

Here's another telling passage:

Matthew 27:52, "And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose"

The above verse reflects the fact that many believers in God rose upon Christ's death on the cross. They were seen not sleeping but awakened at Christ's atoning death and sacrifice.

It's possible that the soul may sleep but the spirit returns to God upon death. The flesh body turns to dust but we know that many will rise from the grave upon Christ's return to earth. Perhaps Christ returns with "His saints" which are the spirits of them who believe in Him and those spirits are reunited with the souls which are asleep in the grave.

I'm reviving this thread because ever since the death of my doberman, Greta, on January 4, 2014, I've been searching for answers. Now, I lost my mother in 1986 and that was horrible, but I dealt with it by getting drunk for 10 years. I lost my Dad in August of 2009, but although I loved him very much, we hadn't spent much time together over the years. So my grief was manageable.

But my dog...well, she is a very, very special being to me. I don't know what to believe, but if there are soulmates, I believe she was my soulmate, come to earth to spend the past 10 years with me, and they were probably the best 10 years of my life. But now...she's gone. So I am seeking. I've cried bitterly every day for 71 days now since she died. I've never cried for anyone like this before. I iwant her back.

So, I'm reading a book which is about the exact topic of this thread. Loved ones contacting us from beyond. The book is called "Hello from Heaven: A New Field of Research - After-Death-Communication - Confirms that Life and Love are Eternal" by Bill Guggenheim and Judy Guggenheim (ex-spouses)

I'm only a short way into the book which is a series of accounts by people of contacts they've had with the dearly departed. Some are just "feelings," some are audible, some are physical, such as feeling a hand on your shoulder, and some are acutal two-way communications. Some of the communication is telepathic (just in you mind), some is audible, through the ears, some is visual, some is audible and visual, etc.

Anyway, I don't find myself being comforted and I'm actually getting angry. I don't like bullshit. And the question that keeps coming to mind is...why just some people? Why doesn't everyone get to experience the joy of hearing from loved ones they have lost? Hmmm?

I've known people who swear they've experienced this or that paranormal event, and you look at the people and think...yeah, YOU would. They're often uneducated, naive, gullible. Or downright dishonest and like attention, even attention they garner by making up stories.

People will say...oh, no wonder you don't receive any communication, you're shutting it out with your skepticism.

Not so. All my life I've been open to the paranormal, or afterlife, etc. When my mother died in 1986 I shut myself in my bedroom for three days and nights, crying and begging her to communicate with me. Nothing. So that's why I proceeded to get drunk for 10 years.

And now, my beloved Greta. I am so open to a communication or sign from the afterlife, that she is there, that she is okay...that we will meet again. Nothing.

So someone explain to me WHY some people are contacted and others aren't? I'm a decent person, I have a good heart, I rescue animals, I act tough on the outside but am kind-hearted in reality. So why not ME?

I'm wondering if the book I'm reading will address this, because to me, it's the elephant in the room. If this is a natural phenomenon, why some and not others? I need an answer to this, because otherwise, the only answer I have is the one I've concluded on my own...that the accounts of contact with departed loved ones are bogus.

I don't want that to be true. I want there to be an afterlife and I want to see my loved ones again and for everything to be...all right.

Books like the one I am reading seem to be desperate attempts to justify our existence. There MUST be more than this, right? But I'm afraid this may be all there is. This earthly life and nothing beyond.

Depressing, huh? But if anyone is game for more discussion about this, I'd like to talk about it.

Those who are desperate for a romantic relationship often push away exactly that which they.want by being too obsessive or demanding. Same goes for spirit.

First contacts often come in small ways - like having a penny turn up in an odd place, then another and then a relative or loved one visits.

Ya gotta let go and let them lead you. Trying too hard drives them away. Just let go.

Regards from Rosie

I think that people who are open to the experiences are likely to experience them.

Okay...you don't think laying in a dark room for three days crying for your mother to contact you is being "open" to the experiences? I don't know how I could have been any more "open" to the experience than that.

And what about Houdini and his wife? No one was more receptive to the supernatural. He promised her he would contact her if he possibly could. She waited for years. It never happened.

This is the anomaly I struggle to understand. Why some and not others? Possibly because it simply isn't true?

For example, DriftingSand, your experience of possibly seeing your deceased brother when you were four years old. Little kids see all kinds of things they can't explain. It may just have been a vivid dream. I know when I was a kid I had extremely vivid and realistic dreams, often involving witches coming after me. Possibly why I developed an imaginary playmate called "Witchy" who was also pretty realistic. What better way to protect yourself from witches than with a witch. :) However, none of it was real, as real as it may have seemed to a little kid.

Okay...you don't think laying in a dark room for three days crying for your mother to contact you is being "open" to the experiences? I don't know how I could have been any more "open" to the experience than that.

And what about Houdini and his wife? No one was more receptive to the supernatural. He promised her he would contact her if he possibly could. She waited for years. It never happened.

This is the anomaly I struggle to understand. Why some and not others? Possibly because it simply isn't true?

For example, DriftingSand, your experience of possibly seeing your deceased brother when you were four years old. Little kids see all kinds of things they can't explain. It may just have been a vivid dream. I know when I was a kid I had extremely vivid and realistic dreams, often involving witches coming after me. Possibly why I developed an imaginary playmate called "Witchy" who was also pretty realistic. What better way to protect yourself from witches than with a witch. :) However, none of it was real, as real as it may have seemed to a little kid.

Three days of crying is what I have done when desperately lonely and horny both. Never got me a guy at that kind of time.

Getting busy living had the guys dropping into my lap all the time.

Let go and quit trying to control the situation and it may happen.

If not, for sure not.

Regards from Rosie

Rosie, that was in 1986 that my mother died and I stayed in a dark room for three days crying. After that I got drunk for 10 years. After that I straightened up, quit drinking and got on with life.

In other words I quit trying to control the situation. She still has never communicated with me. Nor has my father, or either of my grandmothers, a couple of uncles and aunts or good friends who died.

Only now that my dog has died am I once again searching and reaching out...what you term as trying to control the situation.

So, I'm afraid your answer is not an answer. What about the people who don't try to control the situation and are never contacted? Why not them?

I was talking to my husband about this at dinner. I asked him, why do you suppose some people are contacted by their deceased loved ones and others are not?

He said, "Because they're special." But he said it kind of sarcastically. You see, he's one of those rare individuals who can accept that we die and are just gone. It doesn't freak him out.

He also said that questions like I'm asking are exactly the reason Mankind invented religion. We just can't handle that this is all there is.

I know this is depressing. But I want the truth. I don't want to be comforted by something that isn't true.

Rosie, that was in 1986 that my mother died and I stayed in a dark room for three days crying. After that I got drunk for 10 years. After that I straightened up, quit drinking and got on with life.

In other words I quit trying to control the situation. She still has never communicated with me. Nor has my father, or either of my grandmothers, a couple of uncles and aunts or good friends who died.

Only now that my dog has died am I once again searching and reaching out...what you term as trying to control the situation.

So, I'm afraid your answer is not an answer. What about the people who don't try to control the situation and are never contacted? Why not them?

Where ever did you get the idea that everyone has to be contacted?

Out of all the relatives I have lost, why does only one linger?

The only difference I can tell is that I don't have disbelief or skepticism pushing my one relative away.

I also have never had a substance abuse problem. Dunno if that makes a difference, but it is possible.

I have no idea why other relatives have not made contact with me.

I have no idea why your mother has not contacted you. I am not your mother's keeper.

As for your dog, I did say that only cats and not our dogs have visited, so there is that.

You are not special - so tell hubby that obviously means you are not deserving of specialness - said sarcastically.

We live in the vibe we create. You and he have created one- I have another that is much more special. I deserve it.

That is one possible answer but by no means the only one.

Regards from Rosie

Well, I'm going on ten months since they all passed and not. a. peep. No dreams, no 'feelings', no nothing out of the ordinary. I am also open to all of this but do not dwell on it or think about it much. I don't sit there asking/wishing/praying that one of them visits. I stopped being on the lookout for things. And still . . . nothing.

Sometimes I wonder are the ones who do visit somehow unsettled? Or they have unfinished business here, or were really not ready to go, and that's why they make contact? My mom and aunt were very religious and their faith was a huge part of their lives. I like to think that they are so in awe of where they are they don't need to visit back here. My dad wasn't any type of religious (he used to wash the car on Sundays lol) but being married to my mom for 60 years ... I like to think maybe something 'rubbed off' on him.

I was hoping that your sorrow over losing Greta had eased just a bit, even though it's only been a few months. I do believe that with time the pain lessens but you never stop missing them or wishing they were here. You have to find a way to go on within this new 'normal' and it isn't easy.

I am my grandmother's namesake. She was and is a character. She died with a lot of (unwarranted) guilt about me and I feel she is working the guilt off.

She comes when I am doing something connected to Italianness - watching a program, reading a book, cooking. If I am cooking what she taught me, she stands at my shoulder and reminds me what to do (also unwarranted)

I hear her and sense her but she remains invisible. I enjoy her so much that I hope she never quits visiting.

Also, prior cats visit, but the dogs do not. I feel my legs getting rubbed by an invisible kitty. And of course they rile up the current kitties. When a cat gets wild eyed and starts chasing and being chased, we are having a visit.

The space we occupy in the world never gets filled, and some people and animal spirits can temporarily reclaim their space before returning again to the beyond.

Regards from Rosie

This ... I wonder if those who have some kind of unfinished business here -- it could be anything -- those are the ones who visit and those who are at peace and content where they are have no need to visit, even though those left behind desperately want the to.

My cats do this this if they have to poop ... or if they just pooped. :lol:

Regards from Rosie

This ... I wonder if those who have some kind of unfinished business here -- it could be anything -- those are the ones who visit and those who are at peace and content where they are have no need to visit, even though those left behind desperately want the to.

My cats do this this if they have to poop ... or if they just pooped. :lol:

You may have found a truth.....that some who have some urgent need to return do so; those who do not, not.

The cats are calmer when the dogs chase them. But one calico in particular will literally bounce off the walls when being chased by a previous feline.

Regards from Rosie

Where ever did you get the idea that everyone has to be contacted?

Out of all the relatives I have lost, why does only one linger?

The only difference I can tell is that I don't have disbelief or skepticism pushing my one relative away.

I also have never had a substance abuse problem. Dunno if that makes a difference, but it is possible.

I have no idea why other relatives have not made contact with me.

I have no idea why your mother has not contacted you. I am not your mother's keeper.

As for your dog, I did say that only cats and not our dogs have visited, so there is that.

You are not special - so tell hubby that obviously means you are not deserving of specialness - said sarcastically.

We live in the vibe we create. You and he have created one- I have another that is much more special. I deserve it.

That is one possible answer but by no means the only one.

Regards from Rosie

What you are is delusional. You are exactly what I don't want to be. Including your decision to take my comments personally and as justification to make several nasty remarks to me, sniping at the "substance abuse" issue, etc. LOL, I haven't had a drink in 16 years, so I don't think that's affecting me anymore. Also, many of the people I know who claim contact with the spirit world, DO currently I have a drink or two. I do not.

No, you are no role model, RosieS. You're not a font of knowledge, either. I have a calico cat who zooms around the house like a maniac, I hardly think it's because my deceased cat is chasing her.

A woman was murdered in my back yard. A previous occupant of the house says he used to sit on the back porch and converse with her spirit. yeah, right. She's not here. Of course, he used to do a bit of drugs and drink alcohol on a fairly regular basis. Maybe that had something to do with him being more "receptive" to the spirit world. I do have respect and keep a gothic cross right on the spot where her body was found, though. I've watched my animals around the area, they don't sense a thing.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back