Anyone around here like operetta?

Does anyone around here even know what operetta is?

Comments welcome and appreciated.

I am not a fan of Operetta, this because of my love and deep respect for Opera, the Operetta has one aim and that is to amuse, the trivial and frivial and the music the same, also I add the British resorted to Operetta because they are devoid of soul and passion and have NEVER produced ONE Opera that is not embarrassing and excruciating and so they have Gilbert and Sullivan which I would not wish my worst enemy to have to listen to.

We are devoid of soul and passion?

Try me.

:11_2_1043:

Mindful darling I lived in London with the British for a while and to me you only show passion for football which domestically you have a good thing in the Premiership League but of course your National Team is CRAP but NOT as crap as San Marino and also passion for this television programme that I forget but it was in the second awful section of London after Hackney and some where in East London the programme is filmed, very depressing people in it all look like they have very terrible personal hygiene. I in a taxi one time and the driver thought he would take me in the wrong direction to get more money and so we were driving through this awful section of London and I say to him WTF what is this place? And he say this is Hackney.

:11_2_1043:

Lucy? British people actually live in London?

I went to a couple as a kid with my foster father and thought they were okay,

Then, when I was stationed in Vienna, I attended a couple (can't remember which ones although I think one was by Mozart) and loved them. Setting and cast.

^^^^ W. A. Mozart did not compose Operetta he composed Operas, some for example might think that "Die Zauberflöte" is but it is not it is an Opera. So it was probably you hear and attend a concert that feature one of Johann Strauß II because he did compose 18 Operetta which include "Die Fledermaus", "Das Spitzentuch der Königin", "Waldmeister" which was Johannes Brahms favourite Operetta, "Indigo und die vierzig Räuber" etc I adore Brahms but cannot share his liking of certain Operetta. I cannot stand the majority of Operetta, my love of Opera cannot allow me to like Operetta with it's jokes and flower music and trivial and frivolity etc.

Opera and operetta are not mutually exclusive.

On the contrary. After opera brought you down with its incest, murder, infidelity, cheating, lying and foreboding and

Then, when I was stationed in Vienna, I attended a couple (can't remember which ones although I think one was by Mozart) and loved them. Setting and cast.

^^^^ W. A. Mozart did not compose Operetta he composed Operas, some for example might think that "Die Zauberflöte" is but it is not it is an Opera. So it was probably you hear and attend a concert that feature one of Johann Strauß II because he did compose 18 Operetta which include "Die Fledermaus", "Das Spitzentuch der Königin", "Waldmeister" which was Johannes Brahms favourite Operetta, "Indigo und die vierzig Räuber" etc I adore Brahms but cannot share his liking of certain Operetta. I cannot stand the majority of Operetta, my love of Opera cannot allow me to like Operetta with it's jokes and flower music and trivial and frivolity etc.

Unless one has a totally closed mind, opera and operetta are NOT mutually exclusive.

Opera and operetta are not mutually exclusive unless you are stuck on a studgey, phony and ignorant mindset.

I am not a fan of Operetta, this because of my love and deep respect for Opera, the Operetta has one aim and that is to amuse, the trivial and frivial and the music the same, also I add the British resorted to Operetta because they are devoid of soul and passion and have NEVER produced ONE Opera that is not embarrassing and excruciating and so they have Gilbert and Sullivan which I would not wish my worst enemy to have to listen to.

Perhaps it is you who is devoid of soul and passion.

Or perhaps just a pretentious and phony snob.

"Perhaps it is you who is devoid of soul and passion."

Impossible, I am Austrian and my Mama is German, impossible for this to be devoid of soul and passion. Opera GREAT Opera reduces people to tears, there are NO Richard Wagner Operas that do not reduce me to tears and 80% of W. A. Mozart Operas reduce me to tears and my favourite Opera Gaetano Donizetti's "Lucia di Lammermoor" reduces me to tears, this is because these Operas stir your VERY SOUL, they move your VERY BLOOD and are the affirmation of EXISTENCE itself, WTF without great Opera what else would there be to stir your SOUL and BLOOD to the point you would just be happy to die then because you can die completely fulfilled in the most organic sense. Great Opera ONLY matched by the births of my kidlets, literally.

I saw a production of "Lucia di Lammernoor" where - in the name of idiotic political correctness - her (a white woman) groom was played by a white guy and her BROTHER played by an African American.

Perhaps it is you who is devoid of soul and passion.

Or perhaps just a pretentious and phony snob.

"Perhaps it is you who is devoid of soul and passion."

Impossible, I am Austrian and my Mama is German, impossible for this to be devoid of soul and passion. Opera GREAT Opera reduces people to tears, there are NO Richard Wagner Operas that do not reduce me to tears and 80% of W. A. Mozart Operas reduce me to tears and my favourite Opera Gaetano Donizetti's "Lucia di Lammermoor" reduces me to tears, this is because these Operas stir your VERY SOUL, they move your VERY BLOOD and are the affirmation of EXISTENCE itself, WTF without great Opera what else would there be to stir your SOUL and BLOOD to the point you would just be happy to die then because you can die completely fulfilled in the most organic sense. Great Opera ONLY matched by the births of my kidlets, literally.

I suspected that you were Austrian seeing the red-white-red in your avatar.

It reduces me to tears that as an Austrian, you prefer Hitler's favorite composer, the lumbering, heavy and mostly incomprehensible Wagner to any of the Strauss family, or Lehar or Kalman or Stoltz or Zeller or von Suppe.

I can whistle or doodle any number of melodies composed by operetta composers. Can you whistle or doodle any tune by Wagner?

Americans typically refer to operettas as musical comedy or ‘musicals’.

Although operetta is an older form.

I HATE musicals, they are ridiculous and are just for entertainment they have nothing in them that feed your mind or stir your soul, is it any wonder then that the Americans like that ridiculous British Gilbert and Sullivan, I would if forced the choice of being subjected to Gilbert and Sullivan or having the nine inch nail hammered into my head, I would say get the nail and the hammer and this is my head so hammer.

When the name of the lyricist of a musical production precedes the name of the composer of the music of said musical production, you know that the lyrics are great, the music not so much.

Gilbert and Sullivan - watch for poetry, not or melodies.

Forum List

Back