Anybody with XP tried the update hack?

I changed the WinXP registry as instructed & all updates worked except for the WEPoS updates. Just use custom update & uncheck the with WEPoS in the name.

Useful tip...thanks. I turned off auto-update only to get a warning from MS each time I logged on. I haven't done the registry change yet because the new Norton has protected me against all dangerous intrusions so far. And I've heard repeatedly that MS updates are almost always reverse-engineered by the crimeware assholes.

Another feather in our cap is that most remaining XP home users are too POOR to bother with. :lol: They're better off writing their code to mess with the W8 yuppie crowd.

I changed the WinXP registry as instructed & all updates worked except for the WEPoS updates. Just use custom update & uncheck the with WEPoS in the name.

Useful tip...thanks. I turned off auto-update only to get a warning from MS each time I logged on. I haven't done the registry change yet because the new Norton has protected me against all dangerous intrusions so far. And I've heard repeatedly that MS updates are almost always reverse-engineered by the crimeware assholes.

Another feather in our cap is that most remaining XP home users are too POOR to bother with. :lol: They're better off writing their code to mess with the W8 yuppie crowd.

To stop the warning from MS each time you log on, just go into control panel, click "Windows Security Center". On the left side click "Change the way security center alerts me" then uncheck all the boxes.

To stop the warning from MS each time you log on, just go into control panel, click "Windows Security Center". On the left side click "Change the way security center alerts me" then uncheck all the boxes.

Done...much obliged. :eusa_angel:

Has anyone tried upgrading windows xp to windows vista? I have a 32 bit computer so I cannnot upgrade to windows 7 or 8.
If a 32 Bit Windows Vista runs on your computer, 32 Bit Windows 7 and 8 will also run as they have the same minimum requirements.

Nope....W8.1 requires far more assets than XP. In fact, few XP machines will accept W7 without a partition for existing XP files. Video card and power source, and drivers are also an issue. I've looked into all the variables and decided to stick with XP without IE. My security practices are seen above. And without security concerns why would anybody move away from good ol XP....27% of the world's desktops are still using it without problems. :eusa_clap:
It was about the requirements of Vista/7/8 that are the same. As for the drivers, the best supporting OS is the one the is as old as your computer. But Win7 and even more Win 8 include drivers for almost any device.

It was about the requirements of Vista/7/8 that are the same. As for the drivers, the best supporting OS is the one the is as old as your computer. But Win7 and even more Win 8 include drivers for almost any device.

That's true about the drivers in the new OS but if even ONE doesn't match you have to hunt it down...and in my case, Dell won't update...no new drivers for a Demension E521. Also of concern is no free Word. My Word2000 still works great....why should I spend another $130 on a new one? W7 won't support my CD burner....another $100. And NO WAY will an XP machine video card handle W8....so why not just buy a new desktop if you're going to spend that kind of dough because Bill Gates ain't rich enough yet? :doubt:

That's true about the drivers in the new OS but if even ONE doesn't match you have to hunt it down...and in my case, Dell won't update...no new drivers for a Demension E521. Also of concern is no free Word. My Word2000 still works great....why should I spend another $130 on a new one? W7 won't support my CD burner....another $100. And NO WAY will an XP machine video card handle W8....so why not just buy a new desktop if you're going to spend that kind of dough because Bill Gates ain't rich enough yet? :doubt:
Your E521 isn´t lost. It consists of parts of many producers and each of them provide drivers separately. Word? Too expensive? Honestly, if you prefer that old version that does not support the new standards rather than using Open Office, you could run into trouble with the new formats.
New graphics card for Win8? Most of the shining effects that appear in Vista and 7 have been removed in Win8 though you can run Vista and 7 without that effects. You can run all these OS with any graphics card. And I never heard of an OS not supporting a CD Burner. Maybe your computer is very very old and weight of your monitor has bent the table.
However, you really should buy a new computer, they are very cheap.

Your E521 isn´t lost. It consists of parts of many producers and each of them provide drivers separately. Word? Too expensive? Honestly, if you prefer that old version that does not support the new standards rather than using Open Office, you could run into trouble with the new formats.
New graphics card for Win8? Most of the shining effects that appear in Vista and 7 have been removed in Win8 though you can run Vista and 7 without that effects. You can run all these OS with any graphics card. And I never heard of an OS not supporting a CD Burner. Maybe your computer is very very old and weight of your monitor has bent the table.
However, you really should buy a new computer, they are very cheap.

:lol: I am using my CRT monitor I got in 1999 with my 98SE Dell. Flat screen burned out and LO AND BEHOLD, this old one snapped into a CPU 8 years newer and works great! Trinitron by Sony and almost as big a screen...more hi-def than the flat screen.

No point in buying a new computer when this one works fine but thanks for the free advice....I hear it time and again...especially from suckers who bought W8 because they had to have the hot new setup. Most of them have no idea how to use most of the W8 features without a month of trial and error....who needs that? :confused: I buy a new hammer when the old hammer snaps in half.....computer is a tool, nothing more.

UPDATE:

Now this morning we read that Microsoft is dropping support for Windows7 in six months! And according to the article they won't back down time and again like they did for XP. The new CEO has decided to bet their future on a Windows9 and thinks there's an endless supply of affection for the company out there. THEY ARE VERY WRONG.....thousands are switching ot Linux and this will add to the stampede. Remember, they were advising XP users to switch to either 7 or 8 in April.
25sml3q.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Now this morning we read that Microsoft is dropping support for Windows7 in six months! And according to the article they won't back down time and again like they did for XP. The new CEO has decided to bet their future on a Windows9 and thinks there's an endless supply of affection for the company out there. THEY ARE VERY WRONG.....thousands are switching ot Linux and this will add to the stampede. Remember, they were advising XP users to switch to either 7 or 8 in April.
25sml3q.jpg
I have my own way to deal with the new features.
Win8.jpg

It's becoming clear that MS has discovered a revenue stream with "extended support" and believes it will offset the loss of customers to other OS. Hell of a gamble to end-life a product you sold to a customer when it still works just fine. In any other industry the customer can look to after-market companies for parts. Not with Windows products....they won't open-source their code to anybody.

When I first considered a computer in 1999 I asked a graphic artist friend whether I should go with MS or Apple. Most in that field swore by Apple but she told me MS offered many more programs and games and I could use Corel Draw and Photoshop for my business at the time. Now 15 years later I still feel I made the right choice....until now. I really wanted one of those clear plastic desktops Apple made back in the day....I had no idea what was going on inside a computer case before I opened mine one day to blow the dust out.....fascinating.

So in the next year or so I'll have to buy a new machine....Microsoft has driven this loyal customer away. Not by demanding I buy a new computer.....but by being DEVIOUS about their intentions. I am grateful they extended support of XP for as long as they did....but the goodwill ends TODAY. To advise customers to buy W7 in April and end support for it in December is......unforgivable.

Last edited:
It's becoming clear that MS has discovered a revenue stream with "extended support" and believes it will offset the loss of customers to other OS. Hell of a gamble to end-life a product you sold to a customer when it still works just fine. In any other industry the customer can look to after-market companies for parts. Not with Windows products....they won't open-source their code to anybody.

When I first considered a computer in 1999 I asked a graphic artist friend whether I should go with MS or Apple. Most in that field swore by Apple but she told me MS offered many more programs and games and I could use Corel Draw and Photoshop for my business at the time. Now 15 years later I still feel I made the right choice....until now. I really wanted one of those clear plastic desktops Apple made back in the day....I had no idea what was going on inside a computer case before I opened mine one day to blow the dust out.....fascinating.

So in the next year or so I'll have to buy a new machine....Microsoft has driven this loyal customer away. Not by demanding I buy a new computer.....but by being DEVIOUS about their intentions. I am grateful they extended support of XP for as long as they did....but the goodwill ends TODAY. To advise customers to buy W7 in April and end support for it in December is......unforgivable.
The support is not the linchpin of the functionality of an OS. Windows will work forever if you can manage to free from online/telephone activation. And as the usage share of XP will shrink, updates become less important.

The support is not the linchpin of the functionality of an OS. Windows will work forever if you can manage to free from online/telephone activation. And as the usage share of XP will shrink, updates become less important.

It used to be....now clever folks have figured out how to side-step the need for "support" by moving away from IE to a safer browser, and finding AV that will continue to update itself for that OS. Malwarebytes just presented me with a new 2.0.2.1012 for XP that continues running in the background beside my AV...and it's FREE. I will buy their whole package when I'm flush again...they've saved me countless meltdowns over the years. At one point I got hit by a virus through IE6 that was so bad I wasn't allowed back online. It cut Norton out of the picture completely but MWB took it on....damn near beat it before it too, fell. They've never asked me for a dime to protect me.....I'll reward them when I can.

It used to be....now clever folks have figured out how to side-step the need for "support" by moving away from IE to a safer browser, and finding AV that will continue to update itself for that OS. Malwarebytes just presented me with a new 2.0.2.1012 for XP that continues running in the background beside my AV...and it's FREE. I will buy their whole package when I'm flush again...they've saved me countless meltdowns over the years. At one point I got hit by a virus through IE6 that was so bad I wasn't allowed back online. It cut Norton out of the picture completely but MWB took it on....damn near beat it before it too, fell. They've never asked me for a dime to protect me.....I'll reward them when I can.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is an On-Demand scanner in the free edition.

If that means continuous running for the first time since I've used them, that's what I just said.....if you continue to feel the need to correct me this will be the end of the conversation.

Last edited:

That's what I just said.....if you continue to feel the need to correct me this will be the end of the conversation.
Feel save with your on-demand scanner that runs in background then :)

New Topics

Forum List

Back